Seamonkey -compose filename.eml

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
FrankWeichert

Seamonkey -compose filename.eml

Post by FrankWeichert »

Hi,

when I save a mail-message to a eml-file and then doppelklick the eml-file from explorer, then the Outlooks opens and shows the message.
But I like to have SeaMonkey opens that file again and shows the message in the message compose windows.

I did play with Seamonkey -compose filename.eml
But Seamonkey only opens an empty message compose windows.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Frank
rainer.wendland

Post by rainer.wendland »

Hi, Frank!
It works fine in my SeaMonkey: Saving to any selected place on hard disk, and then in the mail main menu select "open file" and open Your file after going to the folder You saved it.
Then it is displayed.

Ciao
Rainer
First use "Search" in this forum!
extensions: formfiller, FoxyTunes, Mnenhy, MonkeyMenu, ScrapBook, xSidebar and others

Post by FrankWeichert »

Thanks, I know this feature. What I have in mind is: click at the stored eml-file and SeaMonkey opens it in the Box at the same way as "open file".
Now the click opens Outlook, I do not like this.
At Windows-registry you can define ".eml" as "SeaMonkey -compose %1". The klick at the file than opens SeaMonkey but without the message-file.

May be I should post this idea to the wish-list.

---
Frank
rainer.wendland

Hi, Frank!
Sorry that I missunderstood You. I looked into the german Thunderbird forum and found this:
Go to "file options" in the windows (german:Systemsteuerung >Ordneroptionen) system settings, select the tab "file types" and look for EML. I didn't find it, so I created a new one (in the same tab on the top) and selected the program for open the file: (german: Ändern, suchen)>Change >search > seamonkey.exe.
that is it.
Now the symbol beside any *.eml-file is the seamonkey symbol, and double clicking (I'm using total commander) opens the file in seamonkey!

edit: Unfortunately it is opening in the browser. So we must also have a script to be able opening in mailer.
extensions: formfiller, FoxyTunes, Mnenhy, MonkeyMenu, ScrapBook, xSidebar and others

Post by FrankWeichert »

Right! But this only opens the *.eml file in the browser-windows and you can read the file, but you cannot "reply", "forward", etc. the message.
eml-files should open the "mail-windows" from where it was saved.
You can enter at Systemsteuerung>Ordneroptionen> file types > New > SeaMonkey.exe -compose %1
Then double clicking opens the SeaMonkey-MailWindows, but without the eml-file (%1).
FrankWeichert

Post by FrankWeichert »

How does scripting works? Is there a documentation available?
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

SeaMonkey has no command line option for being able to open a .eml file as editable in a mail compose window. The best you'd be able to do is attach the .eml file. To do this, if you wanted to double click on the .eml file, the Windows registry entry would be

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -compose "attachment='%1'"

If you want to be able to save an e-mail in a form that can be usable as e-mail, you have to save the message in an e-mail folder.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to save e-mails as separate .eml files?
But then again, I may be wrong.
FrankWeichert

Post by FrankWeichert »

>Just out of curiosity, why do you want to save e-mails as separate .eml files?
At our servers I have some shares where our users store informations, eatch topic is stored in a separete subdirectory.
These shares are also accessible from WEB-Browser (readonly) from all people in our plant. The WEB-Server has some search-functions.
This way all users can easy find all informationen. Now I like to store some mail-files also at these shares.
Until now our user sends the messages to each other and all have there own mail-archive within SeaMonkey-Mail-Folders.

The idea is something like webbased mail-group-ware.

attachment=%1: the mail-composer-windows opens and the eml-file is attached but not readable
double click the eml-file (from Browser or Explorer) should open the eml-file in the same way like "open file" from SeaMonkey-Mail->File Menue.

BTW: by default double clicking opens the eml-file in outlook (but I like to have this in SeaMonkey)
FrankWeichert

Post by FrankWeichert »

Are there some sub-parameters for the "-mail"-paramter
SeaMonkey -mail "openfile=%1" ore something like this?
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

FrankWeichert wrote:Are there some sub-parameters for the "-mail"-paramter
SeaMonkey -mail "openfile=%1" ore something like this?

You'll find all the commandline parameters here, http://www.mozilla.org/docs/command-line-args.html . Look at the bottom for the mail compose options. Unfortunately, there's not one for opening a file as an editable e-mail, only for attaching a file.
FrankWeichert

Post by FrankWeichert »

Thanks. I have posted this wish as "enhancement" to bugzilla.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

FrankWeichert wrote:BTW: by default double clicking opens the eml-file in outlook (but I like to have this in SeaMonkey)

If you want SeaMonkey to open when you double click on a .eml file, you can right click on the file, then Open With. You can choose which program to use and make that selection permanent, if you want. Or this would probably work for you.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml]
@=""
"Content Type"="message/rfc822"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml\DefaultIcon]
@=""C:\\Program Files\\mozilla.org\\SeaMonkey\\seamonkey.exe",0"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml\shell\open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eml\shell\open\command]
@=""C:\\Program Files\\mozilla.org\\SeaMonkey\\seamonkey.exe" "%1""

Save it to a file named eml.reg, then double click the file to run it. You'd need to be sure the path to SeaMonkey is the same as on your PC. Also, back up your existing settings for this key before you run it. You'll want to be able to restore your settings in case something goes wrong.
rainer.wendland

Andy Boze wrote:If you want SeaMonkey to open when you double click on a .eml file, you can right click on the file, then Open With. You can choose which program to use and make that selection permanent, if you want.

We have done that. In this case "program" is Seamonkey, and the navigator is opening as Frank described.
To make the program run the mail component enstead of navigator, we haven't another "program". So that doesn't work.
Your Code may be the right way. I tried it but at the moment without any effect.
In about:config its told of "general.startup.mail". Will this help to create a new code?

Post by Andy Boze »

rainer.wendland wrote:In about:config its told of "general.startup.mail". Will this help to create a new code?

"general.startup.mail" configures SeaMonkey to start the mail client when the suite is started. It's the same as Edit | Preferences | Appearance and selecting "Mail & Newsgroups".
rainer.wendland

OK. Does the code on Your System? How could it work for me? I copied the code, changed the path, found the changes in the registry on the right place, but it doesn't work. Any idea?