DOM Inspector now part of the default build

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Steffen

DOM Inspector now part of the default build

Post by Steffen »

Ben just made the necessary changes to include the DOM Inspector in the default Firebird build.
Thanks Ben!

If you use the installer, you can choose whether or not to install it ("Developer Tools").
If you build yourself, you have to add "inspector" to the enable-extensions list.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Mixed feelings here. I love the DOM inspector, but I think it should be a true extension. Is this a temporary addition to Firebird?
javierl39

Post by javierl39 »

yap.. I think it should be an extension.... what is a DOM inspector anyway??!!!!!! (kidding).. No, seriously, although it's a great tool I think a lot of people don't know what a DOM inspector is and to be fair one of the main purposes of fb is to create a web browser lighter as it can be.. so I really think that it should be an extension.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

As I said, you have the choice if you use the installer. And maybe the 0.8-zip-build won't include it.
But it's a good idea to include it for now because there's some work to do, like the menu items, fixing a js exception etc.
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

Ah, I missed the part about the installer. I've become used to the zips and assumed that "default build" still referred to the zipped builds.

So now I'm wondering...is there a version of the DOM inspector that you can install without using the Firebird installer?
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

momokatte wrote:Ah, I missed the part about the installer. I've become used to the zips and assumed that "default build" still referred to the zipped builds.

Ben added the inspector to the default .mozconfig (and made other necessary changes), so that it will be included in future zipped official nightlies.
He also changed the installer-generation-script. With the installer, you can choose. With the zips, there's no choice, it's included.

momokatte wrote:So now I'm wondering...is there a version of the DOM inspector that you can install without using the Firebird installer?
Download today's nightly as soon as it's available. ;-)
Gilles

Post by Gilles »

I guess InspectThis... will need an update then.
I'll do it when I found the time to make a new FB build.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Rebuilding to get a look at this
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Steffen wrote:Ben added the inspector to the default .mozconfig (and made other necessary changes), so that it will be included in future zipped official nightlies.
He also changed the installer-generation-script. With the installer, you can choose. With the zips, there's no choice, it's included.

What, if anything, does this portend for a Thunderbird DOMi build?
scragz

Post by scragz »

Does it build as an extension or is it just there like the JS console? I can’t really just rebuild to find out since my tree has been so customized to get DOMi to build as an extension.

Edit: Here’s the quote from bz:
Ben fixed this today:
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?date=explicit&mindate=11%...

It will be included in all future zip builds and the installer.
If you use the installer, you can choose whether or not to install it
("developer tools").

Over to Ben...
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Sailfish wrote:What, if anything, does this portend for a Thunderbird DOMi build?
Nothing right now.

scragz wrote:Does it build as an extension or is it just there like the JS console? I can’t really just rebuild to find out since my tree has been so customized to get DOMi to build as an extension.
It's just there like the js console.

scragz wrote:Edit: Here’s the quote from bz:
Ben fixed this today: [...]
And that's from me.
c∂n

Post by c∂n »

whether or not people want this as an extension or integrated, Ben's implementation is missing a couple of things

1 trivial :

the xul that introduces the shortcut/hot key Ctrl-Shift-I assigns this to a keyset the Firebird appears to ignore

so changing <keyset id="tasksKeys"> to <keyset id="mainKeyset"> would fix this

2 slightly more major :

DOM Inspector has a menu item [ File - Inspect a Window > ]

the 'Inspect a Window' submenu should list the calling window, but doesn't on first run

if you have DOM i open and then change tabs [ or if you only have one, add a tab ] in Fb,
then revisit File - Inspect a Window >

there will now be the option of inspecting the DOM tree of browser.xul

Mozilla [Seamonkey] does this on first run, w/o the need for tab juggling
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Ok, so file two bugs in Bugzilla and post the numbers here so I can follow along.
bengoodger

Re: DOM Inspector now part of the default build

Post by bengoodger »

Steffen wrote:Ben just made the necessary changes to include the DOM Inspector in the default Firebird build.
Thanks Ben!

If you use the installer, you can choose whether or not to install it ("Developer Tools").
If you build yourself, you have to add "inspector" to the enable-extensions list.

It's worth noting that <b>today's</b> installer will fail hard if you choose Developer Tools because I forgot to fix the install script. If you want to use DOM Inspector from an installed build, wait for tomorrow's!
ct^

Post by ct^ »

Even if the user has the option to turn it off in the installer, he shouldn't have to download it. Most of the target users indeed do not know what a DOM inspector is or does, and therefore should not even be asked if they want it, nor waste (be it little) bandwidth on it. Besides, I thought the goal was to make the download even smaller and the installer more straightforward?
<a href="http://chirpy.sourceforge.net/" target="_blank">Chirpy! - A Free Quote Manager</a>