Is there an extension for split-screen, to view two tabs?

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
anthony2816

Is there an extension for split-screen, to view two tabs?

Post by anthony2816 »

Is there an extension that will allow me to view more than one tab at a time in a single FF window, splitting the screen either vertically or horizontally? Sometimes it would be nice to use such a feature to compare, say, the specs between two videocards or something.
Soul Fox

Post by Soul Fox »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
Build ID: 2007030919
alta88

Post by alta88 »

Split Pan(n)el is the one. A little css cleanup and it even looks good with your theme.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3275/
anthony2816

Post by anthony2816 »

Excellent! Split pannel (sic) is what I wanted -- but I've also added the showcase extension as that's also very useful.

Thanks to both of you.
e7ats

Post by e7ats »

I must be missing something with this Add-on. Where are the controls to make Split Pannel to work?
max1million

Post by max1million »

For Split Pannel, Split in context menu (right click) of page.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hey, 0.4 (from ABP forum ;)) is nice. what i had done tho was allow all the splits available to be open at the same time if the user wanted, and persisted their pos and src. also, i had an extra bottomwide split, so one could have 3 vertical and 3 horizontal at once. the bottomwide one went under the sidebar, and so was wider than your current one (under appcontent) if sidebar/AiOS was open..

the other thing is you might want to add

Code: Select all

crop="right" flex="1"

to label so the title flows properly in resize. last thing is that the Loading button is always on, and Refresh in contextmenu always applies to the main browser.

i got the 4 directional grippy images from Grippies.

these are just ideas, it's your extension :D i can customize those things for myself anyway.
max1million

Post by max1million »

Besides the ABP forum it was posted here also, or direct to split_panel-0.4-fx.zip for current hobby in progress.

So you get 9 panels open? That's a bit more then I was after. I use tabs mostly and just use this as a way to be able see 2 pages (copy/paste, compare, etc), or play video while on 1 while paging through other stuff. I didn't see how you would make the bottom split any wider before. Under sidebar, Ok well it would be wider with sidebar open.

Crop and flex on the label didn't seem to do anything without having a width set, (unless I missed something) and I didn't want to limit it when there was more room.

Much of the context menu is basically tied to the main browser area (selected tab) as it is. But frame has effect the extra panel.

The "Loading..." text should change to either title or url if no title after about 1000 milliseconds timeout (cheap hack to wait for the content may not be long enough sometimes), but the toolbar buttons don't disable. And if you combine Stop/Reload with userChrome.css only the Stop shows cause lack of code for setting them disabled. Or change the button ids by adding split- to them (and a full css) for a quick fix so they both show. To set them up right I believe I'd have to get into nsIWebProgressListener which I haven't used before. There's canGoBack and canGoForward I could use for Back and Foward but didn't get there yet, I haven't used these before either.

It has simplicity bugs, cause I start with a simple base which basically fit my need, then build on that as I acquire more code, knowledge and time. It's hobby in progress I just figured some others may get use out of what I had. I wouldn't mind seeing what you did with it sometime.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

max1million wrote: So you get 9 panels open?

no, max panes is 4 + the main browser, but the way they're inserted one can have 3 vert or 3 horiz.

max1million wrote: Crop and flex on the label didn't seem to do anything without having a width set, (unless I missed something) and I didn't want to limit it when there was more room.

it's due to the vbox the toolbaritem is put in.. hbox didn't work, but taking out that level made it crop with ellipses. but then you have to vertically center it another way.

max1million wrote: It has simplicity bugs, cause I start with a simple base which basically fit my need, then build on that as I acquire more code, knowledge and time. It's hobby in progress I just figured some others may get use out of what I had. I wouldn't mind seeing what you did with it sometime.

hobby for me too. your new dynamic way is good for having only one additional open, but i think your original way is easier/better if multiple are to be open and restored. the button and context menu stuff sure adds some work to do right, glad you did the buttons for me to reuse ;) i'll get mine wrapped up and send it to you soon. i particularly like the 3 vertical panes for comparison stuff.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

Split Browser Ver.0.1.2007011301

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Just tried Split Browser.

So far, it is great!! No conflicts found yet and it is very flexible as to display position, size, etc. And not limited to just one split panel.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

time for a new hobby - Split Browser is excellent. only thing i can think of is if the state could be stored as part of a named Session Manager session. and if the 4 split indicators could be made into drag n drop buttons on a toolbar - too cool.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

I think in Split Browser those 4 split arrows are a little distracting as they appear and disappear along the entire length of the side, top or bottom whenever the cursor happens to venture there. As the cursor moves to the right to reach the scroll bar quite a bit, the split arrow flashes on quite often.

It would be better if the split arrow was somehow displayed only on demand such as the cursor hits the side, top or bottom but only near a corner, perhaps. Or maybe an option to turn off those arrows and just rely on the context menu.

But overall, I agree that Split Browser is excellent.
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

@Ed:
The extension has an option to hide arrows on the edges.

@alta:
Good idea... I'll see what I can do with Custom Buttons.

My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zoolcar9, i sent piro an email with some ideas..

actually, the elegant way to do it is to have 1 horizontal and 1 vertical button. on drop, it would know if the mouse is over 50% of the box's middle, and split that way. 4 buttons is a lot of toolbar space.

what i would really like to see is this.