MozillaZine

Split from 405151 - characters not shown on MAC

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
trolly

Post Posted November 24th, 2006, 3:00 pm

I'm splitting this topic off the original thread. It is going too far off-topic.

Example?
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

mathmus

Post Posted November 24th, 2006, 3:40 pm

telescapes wrote:The symbol appears on my Mac to be a rounded square, enclosing a capital W sitting on top of a rounded small m (minus vertical staff on the left).

At higher magnification, printed white within the black strokes of the rounded rectangle are "PRIVATE USE" in the top and bottom horizontal strokes, "EOOO" down the vertical left stroke, and "F8FF" down the vertical right stroke. Very weird.

I have just tried this on my Intel Mac mini with OS X 10.4.8 and Firefox 2.0. In Firefox, in your message, I see a "?" before the rightr parenthesis. When I copy the whole paragraph, I can paste it into TextEdit and I see the correct character with the symbol you describe. The font panel of TextEdit tells me that this is a font called "LastResort". If, instead, I paste into Word, I see a rectangle outline followed by the letter as follows: "k". So I don't see the problem under my setup.

telescapes

Post Posted November 25th, 2006, 4:14 pm

[quote="mathmus"][quote="telescapes"]The symbol appears on my Mac to be a rounded square, enclosing a capital W sitting on top of a rounded small m (minus vertical staff on the left).

At higher magnification, printed white within the black strokes of the rounded rectangle are "PRIVATE USE" in the top and bottom horizontal strokes, "EOOO" down the vertical left stroke, and "F8FF" down the vertical right stroke. Very weird.

[/quote]

I have just tried this on my Intel Mac mini with OS X 10.4.8 and Firefox 2.0. In Firefox, in your message, I see a "?" before the rightr parenthesis. When I copy the whole paragraph, I can paste it into TextEdit and I see the correct character with the symbol you describe. The font panel of TextEdit tells me that this is a font called "LastResort". If, instead, I paste into Word, I see a rectangle outline followed by the letter as follows: "k". So I don't see the problem under my setup.[/quote]

-----

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using a G4 PowerBook with the same (though non-Intel) OS X 10.4.8 and Firefox 2.0 and, unlike you, am not able to *paste* into TextEdit, Word, or any other word processor or text editor, if I include the problem character (symbol).

This whole issue has really been no big deal for me personally because, for many years, I've just been switching to another browser to copy the text whenever I encounter those problem Web pages, but it's still disappointing that Firefox/Camino/Netscape seems to refuse to acknowledge the existence of any problem.

trolly

Post Posted November 25th, 2006, 5:19 pm

Any problem which is reproducible can be entered in the bug list. And i never heard of paste failing because certain characters are on the clipboard.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

telescapes

Post Posted November 26th, 2006, 6:03 pm

I amend my previous statements about not being able to paste.

I've been primarily using Mariner Write 3.7.2, MS Word 11.3.0 and BBEdit Lite 6.1 as my main word processors and text editor on my primary machine, a G4 Mac PowerBook running OS X 10.4.8.

I have other different WPs and text editors on another machine (G3 iBook OS 9) but only use them very rarely to perform this one particular function: copying text from Web pages using Firefox 2.

Out of curiosity, I tried pasting the *same* "problem" clipboard text into some other WP/text editors and found that pasting was successful to: Pages, TextWrangler, TextEdit, Mellel, and AbiWord.

However, I could *not* paste the clipboard contents into Mariner Write, MS Word or BBEdit (surprising since TextWrangler also comes from Bare Bones). Wouldn't you know they would be exactly the 3 applications that I use regularly on the PowerBook, which I'd always turned to first to copy text from Web pages in order to save them as text files, and which happen to be the *only* 3, so far, that I can't paste into.

The 3rd machine I've used that demonstrates this same problem is an Intel iMac OS X 10.4.8, but, wouldn't you know, the only WPs/editor on it are Mariner Write, MS Word and BBEdit.

Furthermore, if I drag selected text from TextWrangler, TextEdit, Pages or Mellel to the desktop to create "text clippings" (a Mac-only format), these clippings can then be dragged into Mariner, Word or BBEdit without any problem.

Also, if I save a TextEdit document as RTF or an AbiWord document as text (the only format options available respectively from these two editors which will allow the following step), these can also be dragged into Mariner, Word or BBEdit.

So my particular pasting problem turns out to occur because text containing problem characters cannot be pasted directly into these 3 particular applications that are on all 3 machines: Mariner Write, MS Word and BBEdit.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that there is NO problem when copying the same article text from other browsers (iCab, Opera, Safari, IE) and pasting directly into Mariner, Word or BBEdit.

telescapes

Post Posted November 29th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Based on my findings in my 26 Nov 2006 05:03 pm post above, my current workaround--rather than switching to a different browser to copy and paste text from it--is to paste into TextEdit, drag out a text-clipping file, then drag this text clipping into Mariner Write (or Word, or BBEdit).

This takes about 10 seconds, rather than the longer time required to open another browser, copy the URL to it, open the page, select the article text from the Web page, copy the text and paste it into my word processor.

Although switching to another browser has worked for me as a workaround for a long time, now that I know that I can always successfully paste into TextEdit, Pages, TextWrangler, Mellel, or AbiWord, I find that this latest procedure more easily and quickly accomplishes the desired result.

trolly

Post Posted November 30th, 2006, 9:43 am

Seems to be a clipboard format problem. Anyone more familiar with MACs?

telescapes

Post Posted December 30th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Try copying body text from:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/running.html

and pasting into Mariner Write, Word or BBEdit (on a Mac).

I found, as in innumerable other circumstances (more than 100 of still-repeatable instances that I've documented so far over the past years), that I am not able to paste directly from a copy off a Firefox webpage into Mariner Write, Word or BBEdit but, if (as I said above) I paste into TextEdit, drag out a text-clipping file, then drag that clipping file into the Mariner Write (or Word or BBEdit), it works fine and I get the result below.

The question marks are invisible on the Firefox webpage but are obviously the characters that are causing the pasting problem.

As I've said above repeatedly, using other browsers, I have no problem copying and pasting the very same text.

Using iCab, I get an identical result (with the visible question marks) but, using Opera or IE, the question marks do not appear and the text appears perfectly normal.

-------pasted text------->

January 2007

Subscribe to WIRED magazine and receive a FREE gift!
My 4-Week Quest: Run Faster

Everyone?wants?a?better?body,?a?sharper?mind,?or?both.?But how? To find the answer, Wired sent writers on three different challenges: For one month, do everything possible (and legal) to run faster, get smarter, or shoot straighter. And keep a diary.

By Josh McHugh

I'M?A?FIT?GUY,?SORT?OF.?I'LL?JOG?IN?A road race every now and then when there's a good cause to support or a bet to pay off. But the last time I felt genuinely fast was during my college lacrosse days, when I could run a sub-six-minute mile....
Last edited by telescapes on January 1st, 2007, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trolly

Post Posted December 30th, 2006, 4:47 pm

In this case i see also weird characters in Windows Notepad. Some of the space characters are not ANSI but UNICODE.

Edit: These are 0x0920 (UTF-16) resp. e2 80 89 (UTF-8) characters. Looks like the editor put together a tab and a space into a unicode character.

telescapes

Post Posted January 1st, 2007, 8:49 pm

[quote="trolly"]In this case i see also weird characters in Windows Notepad. Some of the space characters are not ANSI but UNICODE.

Edit: These are 0x0920 (UTF-16) resp. e2 80 89 (UTF-8) characters. Looks like the editor put together a tab and a space into a unicode character.[/quote]

------

As I had complained before in one of my first postings, most of these problems seem to stem from people posting invalid html that include coded non-universal characters which shouldn't be there in the first place. (People seem to plunk text directly from their [apparently, often foreign] word processor into the body of their webpage, without regard for standard html conventions. Not that I'm such an expert, but at least I think I know better than to do that.)

Nevertheless, if Firefox/Camino/Netscape would simply replace these problem characters with a question mark or a space--the way the other browsers do--then this wouldn't be such a big issue.

Pasting unknown characters as question marks is annoying enough but not being able to paste at all is *really annoying* and users shouldn't have to worry about having to discover the reason for this situation themselves, or, worse, switch to another browser in complete frustration and disgust.

trolly

Post Posted January 2nd, 2007, 6:49 am

FF simply does nothing here. And the system font renderer puts in the symbol for a not available character.

telescapes

Post Posted February 14th, 2007, 5:14 pm

[quote="telescapes"]Based on my findings in my 26 Nov 2006 05:03 pm post above, my current workaround--rather than switching to a different browser to copy and paste text from it--is to paste into TextEdit, drag out a text-clipping file, then drag this text clipping into Mariner Write.

This takes about 10 seconds, rather than the longer time required to open another browser, copy the URL to it, open the page, select the article text from the Web page, copy the text and paste it into my word processor....[/quote]

-----

An even faster procedure is to drag the text directly from the TextEdit into the Mariner Write (or Word, or BBEdit) window. This takes about 5 seconds, always works and is the easiest workaround I can possibly imagine.

Return to Firefox Bugs