Loading Java Applet Failed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
owenjd20

Loading Java Applet Failed

Post by owenjd20 »

I obtain the subject error when trying to download an image from the internet.

I am running Java plug-in 1.5.0_10.

I have tried checking the "Mozilla and Netscape" box in the Java Control Panel, Advanced/Settings/<APPLET>tag support option but this is not accepted. I obtain "Warning - Browser" saying "Unable to change Browser Settings."

I am a new Firefox user and don't understand this problem. I have IE installed with no Add-ons.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, John

Post by Guest »

The warning you recieved is "normal"; don't worry about it-- Firefox will "find" the java plugin. You really don't need to change anything in the java settings to view applets just fine in Firefox.

But, honestly, I don't know what java has to do with you trying to save an image.

Your subject line sounds like it simply failed to load the java applet. Try this:
In Firefox: Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache, then clear the cache. Your path to that may vary depending on what version of Firefox you have.
Close and restart the browser and then see if it works.

If that fails, post a link to the page you're having trouble with, assuming it is unoffensive and I don't need to register to view it.
owenjd20

Post by owenjd20 »

Thanks for reply. I cleared cache (running Forefox 2.0) but still same problem. I have added more details below if you can suggest anything else?

The site I am accessing is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but you need to register in order to view images.

They provide information on viewing images but I could not see any issues:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... ?r=551&458

The red X Java console gives the following messages:

Java Plug-in 1.5.0_10
Using JRE version 1.5.0_10 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\admin

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

load: class ji/applet/jiApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ji.applet.jiApplet.class
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
... 10 more
load: class ji/applet/jiApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ji.applet.jiApplet.class
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
... 10 more

Post by Guest »

Well, that is strange that it doesn't work since they do say to use the Sun java plugin. Have you tested your installation of it at www.java.com to make sure it is working properly?

It is possible that there is a problem on the site since it states that IE will utilize ActiveX and therefore may not try to load the applet. At least I think that is what it is saying.

You do have java (ViewOne?) as your preference for viewing images in the site's "My Details" section, correct?
owenjd20

Post by owenjd20 »

Tested installation from Jave site and OK. I have a brand new PC but my previous PC with the previous version of Firefox worked fine on this site.

I can access the images by downloading and opening in ViewOne but it is far more time saving if I can view on screen before deciding whether to save or not.

Thanks again, John

Post by Guest »

Part of the problem is that I don't really know how they are displaying the images in the pages, so I can only give you a few things to try. (sorry.)

First, try the page using Firefox in safe mode. This will tell us if a theme or an extension is in the way, if you have any installed.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

If it still doesn't work, it is possible you have a corrupt profile in Firefox, so try a new test one and see if the page displays as it should.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Also, when the page loads, you can go to Tools>Page Info and click on the media tab to see what images, etc. are in the page.

One other thing you can try is reverting to an older version of Firefox. I had to do that myelf because the darn thing just won't end the Firefox.exe process when I close the browser in v2.0. Version 1.5.08 works great for me and according to their site they will maintain security updates for it until April 2007.

When unistalling Firefox, you have to run the uninstaller and afterwards manually delete the profile folder to truly rid yourself of it so you can do a "clean" install.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folde ... _folder.3F

Of course, backup files you want such as your bookmarks. Here are some of the files you may want to copy to a folder to then move into the new installation's profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_set ... ew_profile
owenjd20

Post by owenjd20 »

Status so far...
- Tried Firefox in safe mode - doesn't work
- Created new profile - doesn't work
- Page does not actually load - I am left with a red x box in upper left corner. Are there any messages in the Tools>Page Info that will help understand problem?
- I am concerned about your Firefox.exe process still running and that you reverted to v1.5. I don't really have the time or interest in these types of problems and will have to rethink my use of the browser.

I really appreciate your prompt and very helpful replies.

Thanks again, John

Re: Loading Java Applet Failed

Post by Guest »

owenjd20 wrote:I obtain the subject error when trying to download an image from the internet.

I am running Java plug-in 1.5.0_10.

I have tried checking the "Mozilla and Netscape" box in the Java Control Panel, Advanced/Settings/<APPLET>tag support option but this is not accepted. I obtain "Warning - Browser" saying "Unable to change Browser Settings."

I am a new Firefox user and don't understand this problem. I have IE installed with no Add-ons.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, John