Different browser.cache.check_doc_frequency for doc and img

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Lost User 249643

Different browser.cache.check_doc_frequency for doc and img

Post by Lost User 249643 »

My Firefox check for updates on ALL images each time a page loads.

This is a total waste as images VERY seldom changes (they are eihter
deleted, or there are new images with new names, no need for check).

I can set the <b>browser.cache.check_doc_frequency</b> to <b>2</b> to
prevent the checking BUT that will also prevent checking for the html-pages

And the HTML pages DO change quite often - keeping the same name.

So how do I set Firefox to NOT check for new versions of images,
but still check for new versions of the main html-documents?

A wish would be two different setting so one could set:

<b>browser.cache.check_doc_frequency</b> to <b>3</b> (auto chech)
<b>browser.cache.check_img_frequency</b> to <b>2</b> (never check)

So I send that for a wishlist: <B>browser.cache.check_img_frequency</B>
311Sam

Post by 311Sam »

I also wish for the same. I recently had to do away with my internet gateway server which has Squid webcache installed on it with a 3gb cache directory. Now that I dont have it all the image loading on my computer is killing me. Anyway the devs can optimize the firefox cache logarithm? If they truly want firefox to be the fastest browser out there then imo this is where they need to start. As far as I am concerned the only reason FF has any kind of cache feature at all is to just speed up the Back Forward buttons per session, thats really not the best idea I don't think.
Lost User 249643

I agree. Images usually change the filename when the content change anyway. So there should NEVER be a reason to check for a new version of an image if it's in the cache. NEVER. And this would do miracles to the speed (especially on slower connections). So please...

If the settings I suggested is to complicated make a new one called "browser.cache.check_img" with "yes" or "no" as a parameter...
311Sam

Post by 311Sam »

Lars-Erik wrote:I agree. Images usually change the filename when the content change anyway. So there should NEVER be a reason to check for a new version of an image if it's in the cache. NEVER. And this would do miracles to the speed (especially on slower connections). So please...

If the settings I suggested is to complicated make a new one called "browser.cache.check_img" with "yes" or "no" as a parameter...

Exactly. The only problem would be with weather and radar sites: http://www.kwtx.com/weather/radar But that could be easily remedied by some kind of force refresh command, either pressing the refresh button or maybe something more definite like ctrl+refresh button :D

With a large disk cache, latency could be improved by limiting the number of files per directory in the cache and making new directories.
[deXter]

Post by [deXter] »

I agree with everyone. It's extremly surprising that the devs haven't implemented such a basic feature, while its present in other browsers since ages. Since I browse a lot of image-heavy sites and I'm on a connection that charges me by the volume of data I download, its impossible for me to use Fx on a long-term basis. This is the one of the main reasons why I don't use Fx as my main browser either.
Lost User 249643

But where is the right address to send such a request. The newsgroup, some forum or an e-mail?
Just so we can be sure that the developers have gotten this suggestion.
[deXter]

Post by [deXter] »

I've added the suggestion to the Mozilla Wiki [Firefox/Feature Brainstorming]

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Feature ... management