Shockwave Flash error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Tiksara

Post by Tiksara »

I had same problems with Firefox started mid use in ver. 1.5 which i updated to 2.0 which didn't help. I also updated Flash and Shockwave players (plug-ins w/e) but same things happens: movies from youtube.com keeps crashing Firefox when i want to view them in full screen or even without full screen switching...sometimes Firefox crashes with critical error message sometimes it just freezes and exists in Task manager just as process and not application.
I read first few pages about that issue and among others i noticed several solutions concerning viral infection wich i didn't try, but I found the answer which helped me.....for some weird reason my anti-virus software Avast!, which I've been using for passed three years without problems, was reason of all my troubles. I uninstalled it and downloaded another free anti-virus software (AVG) with which i didn't notice any problems so far.
So....check if that's the issue at yourself. Avast! was for FREE home use if that helps a bit....if all of what i wrote helps at all :)
Knowledge brings fear.
AmelFl

Post by AmelFl »

Tiksara wrote:I had same problems with Firefox started mid use in ver. 1.5 which i updated to 2.0 which didn't help. I also updated Flash and Shockwave players (plug-ins w/e) but same things happens: movies from youtube.com keeps crashing Firefox when i want to view them in full screen or even without full screen switching...sometimes Firefox crashes with critical error message sometimes it just freezes and exists in Task manager just as process and not application.
I read first few pages about that issue and among others i noticed several solutions concerning viral infection wich i didn't try, but I found the answer which helped me.....for some weird reason my anti-virus software Avast!, which I've been using for passed three years without problems, was reason of all my troubles. I uninstalled it and downloaded another free anti-virus software (AVG) with which i didn't notice any problems so far.
So....check if that's the issue at yourself. Avast! was for FREE home use if that helps a bit....if all of what i wrote helps at all :)

same here

I stopped using FF for youtube

it just keeps crashing
AmelFl

Post by AmelFl »

dang

the anti root program will no install on my computer?!
Tiksara

Post by Tiksara »

Sadly....using AVG instead of Avast didn't help. AVG on the other hand found some viruses on my comp and some spyware (with AVG AntySpyWare program) but that didn't make any difference. Firefox keeps crashing this time on different flash content (e.g flash games ) but movie streams in youtube work just fine. And yes, Shockwave plug-in error message keeps appearing (sometimes...).
Knowledge brings fear.
anonymity322

Post by anonymity322 »

Yeah, the anti-root program worked, and I can use Firefox again. Apparently the name of it is this:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kdfub.exe
It's hidden, so you probably won't see it. But the Sophos Anti-Rootkit found it. It will say that it's not worth removing, but do remove it anyway. After I did no more problems.
Kyle26

Post by Kyle26 »

For experts only: There is a way to reveal super hidden files which will allow you to manually delete any file, even the ones hidden when the normal "hidden files" are revealed, in Windows. Those files were hidden under normal hidden files on purpose to protect the user from modifying/deleting the wrong files, which would have disastrous results for Windows.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Art ... 14931.html
If all you need to do is manually delete one super hidden file that solves the problem, this should do it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Kyle26,
I'm afraid it's not that easy. A rootkit supercedes the operating system and can make files completely invisible to the OS. Security is no longer a casual matter when the crooks have the keys to the bank. A rootkit is a very bad actor. Look it up.

Anonymity322,
I don't know what you had specifically, but rootkits are sometimes used to hide other malware. You may still have the rootkit, and "kdfub.exe" may just be hidden by it.
Kyle26

Post by Kyle26 »

VanillaMozilla,
Hmm... I see... too bad it's not that easy
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

It might be that easy. I just don't know.

There's some information here, which might be helpful.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Sophos Anti-Rootkit locates the rootkit (if present) and recommends deleting it. Some items it finds its not sure of, and does not recommend deleting them, so those are deleted (if at all) only after further research. Then you can run Spybot Search & Destroy (or AVG Anti-Spyware or Windows Defender) to delete the malware the rootkit was hiding:

Sophos Anti-Rootkit: http://www.sophos.com/products/free-too ... otkit.html

Spybot Search & Destroy: http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybo ... h_destroy/
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

There is also a utility from sysinternals:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... ealer.mspx
ethanhunt202

Post by ethanhunt202 »

I had the same problem guys, but after a few days of tinkering, i sorted it.

I used the Flash uninstaller tool and then deleted any references to Flash from the Plugins directory in Firefox, but also deleted everything out of C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash and the re-installed Flash. Nothing has re-appeared in the System 32 folder and both Firefox and IE7 work perfectly.

Hope this helps guys

Lee
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

ethanhunt202 wrote:I used the Flash uninstaller tool and then deleted any references to Flash from the Plugins directory in Firefox, but also deleted everything out of C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash and the re-installed Flash. Nothing has re-appeared in the System 32 folder and both Firefox and IE7 work perfectly.
Hope this helps guys

Good info there, Lee. Thanks for the feedback... :)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

<b>From the Firefox release notes:

Firefox may hang when closing after viewing a PDF file in some older versions of the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug in. If you experience this, make sure you are using the newest version of the plug in.</b>

In case you were wondering. It's a wonder we don't read that stuff more often.
ethanhunt202

Post by ethanhunt202 »

bushvenom wrote:Good info there, Lee. Thanks for the feedback... :)

No prbs...it's been driving me batty for a few weeks now...update....had to install flash for IE, but both browsers are working perfectly fine