Want to install FireFox 1.5 - hear it's more stable than 2

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FFnewbie2

Want to install FireFox 1.5 - hear it's more stable than 2

Post by FFnewbie2 »

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can download FireFox 1.5 version from? I understand it's more stable, less buggy than the latest FF 2.0 version.

Is this true?

Thanks for any help!

L
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

FFnewbie2 wrote:Is this true?

I don't agree. I've been using 2.0 without a hitch. I suppose most of the problems stem from Add-ons...

Previous Releases
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on December 9th, 2006, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
bgfunk76

Post by bgfunk76 »

Why knock it before you try it? It's been very stable for me.
Anyway- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... es/1.5.0.8
nite_aurora2

Post by nite_aurora2 »

i just googled for older version....2.0 does not work for me...i like my extentions and 2.0 doesn't have the ones i want/use

Re: Want to install FireFox 1.5 - hear it's more stable than

Post by Guest »

FFnewbie2 wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know where I can download FireFox 1.5 version from? I understand it's more stable, less buggy than the latest FF 2.0 version.

Is this true?

Thanks for any help!

L

I think it's been stable and Firefox is the best but my internet had been very slow and my cable company said to go back to 1.5 and it fixed the speed problem. 2.0 is good but maybe a little slow.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

nite_aurora2

The 2 links above will direct you to older versions if you don't want FX 2.0.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 10#2642510

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 11#2642511
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

nite_aurora2 wrote:i just googled for older version....2.0 does not work for me...i like my extentions and 2.0 doesn't have the ones i want/use

The 'make all extensions compatible' option in the 'Nightly Tester Tools' extension has made every single one of my 20+ extensions work in both Fx 2.0 & the Bon Echo 2.0.0.1 nightlies.
http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/we ... ox/nightly
nite_aurora2

Post by nite_aurora2 »

where do i find the nightly tester tools?
Edvo43

Post by Edvo43 »

It is at the link just posted above :
http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/we ... ox/nightly
nite_aurora2

Post by nite_aurora2 »

i now have it but don't know what to do with it lol......
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

nite_aurora2 wrote:i now have it but don't know what to do with it lol......

basically nothing ... just download and install it ....

WARNING: forcing extensions to work in FF2, may or may not work ..... if after doing this, Firefox has problems, then its most likely the non FF2 extensions. At this point, I can not believe that their are that many non-FF2 extension. DO NOT force a non Ff2 theme ... themes need to be modified to work in FF2. Using a old FF1.5 theme is most likely going to screw up FF2.

FYI, you really don't need a extension to force non FF2 extensions, to work in FF2 ... all you need to do is change a pref in about:config.

Starting with Firefox 2, you can prevent your extensions being disabled by creating a new boolean pref in about:config named "Extensions.checkCompatibility" and setting it to false.
-->Extensions.checkCompatibility - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

Also, staying with FF1.5.0.x is not a good long term solution .... all support for FF1.5 stops on April 24, 2007.

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

That's why you have problems with Firefox - you haven't yet caught on to the (not new) idea of *reading* the instructions for use and options about something, in addition to just downloading and installing it.
NewMozUser29A

Post by NewMozUser29A »

rtmjr50 wrote:

basically nothing ... just download and install it ....

Sorry Richard but that is far more dangerous than saying nothing. NTT extension has multiple uses and you very much *do* have to *do something* with it.

It's not advisable to give advice about an (excellent and widely used) extension that you obviously know nothing about.

After installation and restart of Firefox, bring up Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and click on 'make all compatible' > wait for confirmation and then restart Firefox.

NTT also has at least FIVE other uses which appear in a menu in the Tools context menu.
FF2newbie

Thanks folks

Post by FF2newbie »

Hi,

Thanks folks for the feedback and helpful links. From what you're all saying, FF2 seems fine/stable. And appreciate the point about FF1.5 support stopping in '07.

I guess I'll give it a try.

One thing that bugs me about upgrading FF each time is that I have to download and reinstall extensions each time. There should be a feature that at least copies and lists all the extensions one currently has installed, don't you think?

If anyone knows how to streamline this process, please let me know.

Thanks again!

-L
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

FF2newbie,

This won't help you now, but I always download my extensions and save them on my hard drive. This way you will always have them to reinstall later and won't forget which ones you had installed.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security