Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Post by mscott »

Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 is Now Available!

Builds can be found here:
<li><a href="http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=thunderbird-2.0b1&os=win&lang=en-US ">Windows</a>
<li><a href="http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=thunderbird-2.0b1&os=osx&lang=en-US ">Mac OS X</a>
<li><a href="http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=thunderbird-2.0b1&os=linux&lang=en-US ">Linux</a>

Beta 1 is offered in en-US only. It will have support via automatic software update to beta 2.

<b>Major Feature Areas</b>
<li>Message Tags
<li>Folder Views
<li>Visual Identity Improvements (theme improvements for Windows and Linux)
<li>New Mail Notification Alert Improvements
<li>Session History Navigation (back / forwards)
<li>Find As You Type in the message pane
<li>Automatic detection of online state (Thunderbird can automatically move you to offline mode when you lose net connectivity)

<b>Additional Areas</b>
<li>New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
<li>Updates to the extension system
<li>New combined and improved Add-ons manager for extensions and themes
<li>Preference dialog redesign
<li>Remote image policy changes
<li>Support for editing tags
<li>Ability to customize the fields we show in the new mail alert notification
<li>Recent folder menus for Copying and Moving messages.
<li>Two pane view using a folder location picker toolbar widget.
<li>Universal Binaries for Mac OS X builds.

<b>Extension Platform Improvements</b>
<li>Extensions can now add custom columns to the thread pane and store custom fields in the mail database.
Last edited by mscott on January 23rd, 2007, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Hi there,

Transition betwen 1.5.0.8 and 2 B1 has gone more or less ok apart from the following:

a) Options menu seems to work randomly..., this is to say that sometimes when clicking over certain tabs, their contents do not load (i.e. click on "composition" and the grey space remains blank

b) Message filters do not appear to work properly... Filters that where running OK in previous versions do not work, modifying the parameters does not affect the criteria (i.e I had certain criteria that when were met marked the message as "important", and I changed that -maintaining the criteria-, to marked as a newly created tag and the same messages remain being tagged as important. Tried again applying one of the default tags -"to do"- and after running the filters, messages continued being classified as "important"

c) The feauture enable-disable filters does not work.
---------
B) & C) correction: Message filters do work but different tags overlap.. this is to say that a same message can be tagged under different categories, and in the message pane appears with one color (I cannot see which one is chosen), but all the tags appear in the message header. I suppose this feature may be a powerful tool (capability of tagging messages under more than one cathegory, which can be then parsed under different views, but on the other hand it can be misleading. Just an opinion...
---------------
d) I understand that some extensions have to be modified..., but please do modify asap the event to task conversion in lighting

Additionally I have a question...., I wanted to stay with TB2 B1, but I have tried to come back to previous version and I see that the filters have to be re-written (they cannot be edited).
I did read and understand that this is a Beta version to be used just for testing, but since it loaded the existing mails and features, I want to know what is less risky now, to go back to 1.5.0.8 and hope that there are not many other things corrupted -as the filters have been-, or to stick to B1 and wait until the tweaking process is finished

Regards,

Al_H
mscott

Post by mscott »

Thanks for the feedback Al. I think you'll be fine staying with beta 1 (that's what I use every day). But that's just my opinion :).

I'm not sure I understood your filter problem. It has to do with assigning multiple tags to a message?
Thunderbirds are Go!
bienvenu

tags are cumulative, not exclusive like labels

Post by bienvenu »

It sounds like Al was taking advantage of the fact that assigning one label clears the previous label, so if you have multiple filters that assign labels, the last one wins.

And we do upgrade the filters to use the new tag feature instead of labels - labels are basically replaced by tags. For most users, tags should be much more useful than the old labels feature, but the extra flexibility comes at a cost, I guess...

- David
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Thanks for the replies.

Bienvenue has described the issue. I was used to the fact that assigning one label cleared the previous label. Now a message can have multiple tags, which on the one hand enables to classify one message under different cathegories, and then use the views to see the message under each category...., but on the other, it probably requires more steps to locate a specific message. Again, flexibility comes at a cost, but I suppose that we wll finde new ways of working with the use .

Al
Cpuroast

TB 2.0 B1 getting new mail problem

Post by Cpuroast »

Hi,

I just re-installed my computer, so I just dropped in my previously backed up TB profile folder.

I was running 2.0 A1 before which was pretty much flawless.
So I'm about to re-download 2.0 A1 when I notice B1 is out in the release folder of the FTP.
So I grab that instead. Install it, everything seems fine, loads up my profile perfectly, all accounts are there and all locally stored e-mail.
I use it at work, so new mail happens all the time. It seems to check all accounts, no new mail. Can happen. This continues for a while. so I decide to test send an e-mail to myself. Seems to send ok. Still no e-mail, so I wait a bit thinking the e-mail server could be bogged down. Still no e-mail.

So I decide to uninstall TB 2.0 B1, and re-install TB 2.0 A1, again install goes fine, loads up fine, checks accounts, damn, new e-mail start flooding in, including the test e-mail I had previously sent with 2.0 B1.

So it seems TB 2.0 B1 has a bug with fetching new e-mail, btw I use SSL to access my POP3 e-mail on standard port 995.

Thanks, again,

Keep up the great work.

Ciao,
Cpuroast

Re: TB 2.0 B1 getting new mail problem

Post by Cpuroast »

Hi,
Ok, so I did a bit more testing, TB 2.0 B1 does retrieve new e-mail, but only through standard non-encrypted port 110. Where as TB 2.0 A1 and TB 1.5.0.x I used before that worked using both standard port 110 and using SSL port 995.

Since I value encryption, I'll stick with TB 2.0 A1 for now, until the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Cpuroast wrote:Hi,

I just re-installed my computer, so I just dropped in my previously backed up TB profile folder.

I was running 2.0 A1 before which was pretty much flawless.
So I'm about to re-download 2.0 A1 when I notice B1 is out in the release folder of the FTP.
So I grab that instead. Install it, everything seems fine, loads up my profile perfectly, all accounts are there and all locally stored e-mail.
I use it at work, so new mail happens all the time. It seems to check all accounts, no new mail. Can happen. This continues for a while. so I decide to test send an e-mail to myself. Seems to send ok. Still no e-mail, so I wait a bit thinking the e-mail server could be bogged down. Still no e-mail.

So I decide to uninstall TB 2.0 B1, and re-install TB 2.0 A1, again install goes fine, loads up fine, checks accounts, damn, new e-mail start flooding in, including the test e-mail I had previously sent with 2.0 B1.

So it seems TB 2.0 B1 has a bug with fetching new e-mail, btw I use SSL to access my POP3 e-mail on standard port 995.

Thanks, again,

Keep up the great work.

Ciao,
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

The only issue I have with TB2 B1 is the lag on the autocomplete that is a royal PITA https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=363113 other than that she's a beaut and I have no issues with it
"I want to know God's thoughts... ...the rest are details"
Albert Einstein
TnT001

Post by TnT001 »

I don't like the removal of the message icons in thread pane. The empty space looks really bad and causes the thread lines to disconnect.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=348966
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349212

For the rest, I can only see nice improvements!
sorenweber

Sending mail with TLS fails

Post by sorenweber »

I am unable to send mail using SMTP with TLS encryption. I'm running TB 2b1rc2 (in both Linux and Windows). TB 1.5 has no problem. TB2 has also worked before but now it doesn't, and I've tried reverting back to older versions of TB2nightly as well as deleting ~/.thunderbird without success.

TB 2 says:

Code: Select all

Send message error
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be send because connecting to SMTP server mail.jido.dk failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

The SMTP server is exim4 and I got this in the log:

Code: Select all

2006-12-13 12:18:14 TLS error on connection from cpe.atm2-0-73126.0x535be69e.banxx4.customer.tele.dk ([172.16.0.216]) [83.91.230.158] (gnutls_handshake): Decryption has failed.

If I disable TLS and send unecrypted there's no problem. Any suggestions?
Darzinho

Post by Darzinho »

I can't seem to sort the order in which my tagged emails appear. They group together ok, but the groups e.g. 'Important' appears halfway down... making it look less important!!!

Anybody else have this problem?
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Hi Again,

Congratulations for TB 2 B1.. Lots of new features, all of them usefull

One question on the message image download.... There is a new feature that allows to select the incoming message address as a secure source from which images can be downloaded. However, by default it allways selects one specific address book.

I have looked for this feature in the former location (Options -> Privacy ->General) but there is no check box or menu to select from (or at least I did not find it). Any suggestions on how to change the default address book for this?

Thanks in advance

Al
RuCla

Post by RuCla »

Hello,
I have installed the latest Beta and I tried to install German dictionary. But after the installation the concerning options are not available.
I know that the dictionaries are not displayed in the extension window, but I suppose they should be available when I write a new mail.
Best regards
Rudi
therearenoteams

Post by therearenoteams »

Is 2.0 Beta 1 on a separate branch, or is it equivalent to a 2.0 branch nightly build? In other words, can I discuss my experience with the 2.0 nightly builds in this thread?
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

Tools->Options->Privacy->Junk show log - Clear Log does not always work after email has been received in that session. I have to close the log and shut down T'Bird, then come back in before I can successfully clear the junk log.