Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscha

Post by mscha »

In TB 1.5, I have a customized view, "Labeled", which is defined as:
- Label isn't None

It doesn't seem to be possible to create a similar view ("Tagged") in TB 2.0. Of course, you can do
Matches all of:
- Tags contains Important
- Tags contains Work
but this is less than ideal, and needs to be adjusted any time a tag is added or removed.

Would it be possible to make this work again? Perhaps the best way, is to add a value like "(any)" in the list, so you can say:
- Tags contains (any)

Thanks in advance,

- Michael
mscott

Re: Sending mail with TLS fails

Post by mscott »

sorenweber wrote:I am unable to send mail using SMTP with TLS encryption. I'm running TB 2b1rc2 (in both Linux and Windows). TB 1.5 has no problem. TB2 has also worked before but now it doesn't, and I've tried reverting back to older versions of TB2nightly as well as deleting ~/.thunderbird without success.

TB 2 says:

Code: Select all

Send message error
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be send because connecting to SMTP server mail.jido.dk failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

The SMTP server is exim4 and I got this in the log:

Code: Select all

2006-12-13 12:18:14 TLS error on connection from cpe.atm2-0-73126.0x535be69e.banxx4.customer.tele.dk ([172.16.0.216]) [83.91.230.158] (gnutls_handshake): Decryption has failed.

If I disable TLS and send unecrypted there's no problem. Any suggestions?

sorenweber, a POP3 protocol log would help us here. Also, what happens if you try using SSL insead of TLS? Does that work?

For instructions on generating a protocol log, see:

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... .html#imap

E-mail me the log file: mscott@mozilla.org.

Thanks!
Thunderbirds are Go!
MiddayPhotographer

Sending saved draft

Post by MiddayPhotographer »

Hi,

In TB2 Beta1, I think I'm seeing a regression of nasty Bug 128996, that is "Sending a saved draft does not update the 'Read/Replied' status". It was fixed in TB2 Alpha...
Can anyone confirm this? I just hate this bug...

Thank you!
fugi

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Post by fugi »

mscott wrote:Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 is Now Available!

<li>Session History Navigation (back / forwards)

I think that since you decided to implement such a useful feature,
the two relative buttons should be placed on the main toolbar by default.
Such features should be visible at once for the user who just switches to TB,
rather than searching for them in the customize dialog.

Especially now that the main toolbar has plenty of empty room for another 6-7 buttons
Let's make FireFox the de-fault browser

My site
Ηλεκτρολόγοι Μηχανικοί
vrillusions

Post by vrillusions »

Just installed the beta build on os x and ran into a couple minor issues

Thunderbird version 2 beta 1 (20061206)
Mac OS X 10.4.8 PPC

1) When I added an IMAP account, next to the account description in the account listing on the left, there's an icon next to it. If the account is secure, it will show a padlock on top of it. I added this account, selected TLS security and when I did a check mail it never showed the padlock. I switched it to SSL and no padlock (but I could still read mail). After restarting it showed the icon correctly. Was reproducible by adding another account, selecting TLS before I hit save for the first time in the account settings page, will only show the non-encrypted icon until thunderbird is restarted

2) Before adding previously mentioned account I already had one IMAP account in there. I viewed a message in there and compacted the headers that are displayed so it only shows one line. I then added that second account and when I went to the other account's inbox, the header was still showing from the previous message (above the 'welcome to thunderbird' page that shows up when you pick a folder). Once I clicked on a message it corrected itself. It also only did that the first time. After restarting I could not reproduce it. Tried adding another account and did not reproduce it.

3) In general, the account preferences take a long time to save when I hit ok. A little over 5 seconds no matter what. Haven't tried deleting my thunderbird profile settings and have it get loaded from scratch. The preferences dialog is still responsive, probably because items are saved when you go to a new section.

These are all pretty minor. I am still disappointed the remember mismatched domains option still isn't built into thunderbird, been using the extension that enables it for quite some time (haven't tested it with TB 2, yet)
mkmelin

Post by mkmelin »

RuCla wrote:Hello,
I have installed the latest Beta and I tried to install German dictionary. But after the installation the concerning options are not available.
I know that the dictionaries are not displayed in the extension window, but I suppose they should be available when I write a new mail.

Did you use an updated dictionary? (Yes, old ones say install successful too, see bug #343901)

therearenoteams wrote:Is 2.0 Beta 1 on a separate branch, or is it equivalent to a 2.0 branch nightly build? In other words, can I discuss my experience with the 2.0 nightly builds in this thread?

It's the same branch. I guess you can discuss here if it's also in the beta, otherwise, find the daily build thread for it.
KAC

Post by KAC »

Do the new message alerts work in the OSX version?
joeyconnick

Post by joeyconnick »

Did the View ability just disappear? Because I can't find it. You know, the drop-down box where you could filter the View of a folder to: All, Unread, Not Junk, Junk, and then various custom ones... I can't seem to find that functionality anywhere, except it must still be in effect because my Junk folder is only displaying unread messages. However, I can't seem to figure how to modify this.
mscha

Post by mscha »

joeyconnick wrote:Did the View ability just disappear? Because I can't find it. You know, the drop-down box where you could filter the View of a folder to: All, Unread, Not Junk, Junk, and then various custom ones... I can't seem to find that functionality anywhere, except it must still be in effect because my Junk folder is only displaying unread messages. However, I can't seem to figure how to modify this.

Right-click on the toolbar, customize, and drag the box to your toolbar.

(It moved. I'm not sure I'm happy with that - it sure takes some getting used to.)

- Michael
joeyconnick

Post by joeyconnick »

mscha wrote:
joeyconnick wrote:Did the View ability just disappear? Because I can't find it. You know, the drop-down box where you could filter the View of a folder to: All, Unread, Not Junk, Junk, and then various custom ones... I can't seem to find that functionality anywhere, except it must still be in effect because my Junk folder is only displaying unread messages. However, I can't seem to figure how to modify this.

Right-click on the toolbar, customize, and drag the box to your toolbar.

(It moved. I'm not sure I'm happy with that - it sure takes some getting used to.)

- Michael

Oh my. Well thank you for pointing that out.

That's awful. That's just... really really really a bad location for it. Totally not an intuitive place since the widget refers to the particular folder you happen to be viewing.

And if it's going to stay like that, it has to be on by default. If I couldn't find it without help, I'm pretty sure Joe User won't be able to. So suddenly they're going to wonder where the heck it went since it used to be there and it's not in any of the menus, hidden instead in the customize toolbar section. I mean, I know how to customize the toolbar and I still didn't notice it there.
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

As someone who never liked the Qute theme, it's probably to be expected that I'm not at all a fan of the TB2 theme. But my biggest problem with it is not the theme itself as much as the total inconsistency between TB2 and Fx2. It's very sad (to me) that these apps are looking and feeling less and less alike all the time.
RuCla

Post by RuCla »

Yes I have updated the dictionaries
Best regards
Rudi
andbe611

Post by andbe611 »

Running the 20061206 Beta 1 on Mac OS X 10.4.8
Saved search with foreign characters created on an IMAP account doesn't work.

* Create a saved search and name it "Inbox-å"
* Save the saved search on an IMAP account
The folder is there and works as long as you don't restart Thunderbird.
In the profile folder there are Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd

* Restart Thunderbird
Now the saved search is gone and in my profile there is a new folder Inbox-&-AOU-.sbd, the other two folders are still there (Inbox-&AOU-.msf and Inbox-&AOU-.sbd)

This is all described in bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302470
benpal

Re: TB 2.0 B1 getting new mail problem

Post by benpal »

Cpuroast wrote:Hi,
Ok, so I did a bit more testing, TB 2.0 B1 does retrieve new e-mail, but only through standard non-encrypted port 110. Where as TB 2.0 A1 and TB 1.5.0.x I used before that worked using both standard port 110 and using SSL port 995.

Since I value encryption, I'll stick with TB 2.0 A1 for now, until the issue is resolved.

Similar problem here: using IMAP with SSL (Port 993). All folders show empty!
Is there a patch or work-around?
webgremlin

new theme

Post by webgremlin »

The new theme is fantastic. (I've actually been living with occasionally-flaky nightly builds just to have the new theme since it came out shortly after alpha 1.) The fact that Firefox landed an ugly, aimless theme refresh too close to shipping and only sort-of managed to salvage it in no way means that Thunderbird can't upgrade its appearance.

I think there is little expectation in the wider Internet community that Firefox and Thunderbird will look like each other--most people don't even know that they both used to be 'birds. And its not like outlook and internet explorer maintain matching themes--not even close.