Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
appoloin

Post by appoloin »

Does this build have mozStorage

I found the file "urlclassifier2.sqlite" (zero file size) in the profile and these in compreg.dat but nothing in xpti.dat

@mozilla.org/storage/service;
@mozilla.org/storage/statement-wrapper

and this is fails
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/storage/service;1"]
.getService(Components.interfaces.mozIStorageService);
mscha

Post by mscha »

I have "Tools / Options / Advanced / General / Wait [ ] seconds before marking a message as read" set to 99999, since I want to decide for myself when I've read a message.
Works fine in TB 1.5.x. However, in TB 2.0b1 it works *most* of the time, but once in a while, it does mark a message as read as soon as I select it. I can't find a pattern in it, but if it happens once, there's a good chance that it will happen soon after.

- Michael
AndyColson

Re: new theme

Post by AndyColson »

webgremlin wrote:The new theme is fantastic. (I've actually been living with occasionally-flaky nightly builds just to have the new theme since it came out shortly after alpha 1.)

On my computer at work, when I installed 2b1, I saw the new theam.... for a while... and after restarting I dont see it anymore. On my computer at home I never saw it at all.

I really like it, any way to get it back?
yop

Post by yop »

# New Mail Notification Alert Improvements

This I have problem with. It shows a popup sometimes and sometimes only sound and sometime nothing no sound no popup.

Linux version 2 beta 1 (20061214)
IMAP only 1 account.
webgremlin

Post by webgremlin »

AndyColson wrote:On my computer at work, when I installed 2b1, I saw the new theam.... for a while... and after restarting I dont see it anymore. On my computer at home I never saw it at all.

2b1 installer doesn't uninstall your Thunderbird 1.5. You're probably actually using your old thunderbird if you're seeing your old theme. On Windows your shortcut should probably point to:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird Beta 1\thunderbird.exe"
horvathcom

Mail Views Pulldown Missing

Post by horvathcom »

I like the addition of tags, but it is useless without the mail views pulldown. Where did it go?
horvathcom

Post by horvathcom »

Okay, I got it via Customize, but I don't like it. Having to move over to the right to select the tags or customized views is cumbersome. I use customized views all the time in combination with saved search folders. This is a step back IMO.
Klint

What I noticed so far in TB2b1

Post by Klint »

Hello
Thanks for the excellent work and the visual refresh !

Yet some things to polish as in all betas :

- In the "new mail" notification, accentuated characters are not displayed correctly (in French for instance)

- the autocompletion for email addresses in a new mail hangs for some seconds (there is already a thread about that)

that 's all for the moment
mynthon

view dropdown on toolbar

Post by mynthon »

Is it posiible to create empty toolbar? When i add "view" dropdown and search box there is no room for more icons (bck/fwd/delete spam (from buttons! extension), see this screenshot: http://www.mynthon.net/zdjecia/view/screenshots
retrobeat

Post by retrobeat »

mynthon: that's not possible AFAIK (perhaps there's an extension for it) - but you can use the empty space on the menu bar to place toolbar parts on...
Klint

Post by Klint »

mynthon :you may also want to remove the text and display the icons only, this will save a lot of space.

I have personally gathered everything in ONE toolbar, including the menu (using the "Tiny Menu" extension which allows to have a vertical menu instead of an horizontal one)

See here http://klint.free.fr/mozilla/tbmenu.png
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

My view on TB b1:

IF this was a final product, I would have no reason to upgrade. Though the new theme caught me off guard. I was pleasantly surprised by the icons and message pane. Though the search box seems out of place for some reason.

Anyway...

1. Thunderbird BETA 1 has no Idea how to parse OPML files correctly. I tried it with both Sage in Firefox and Google's online reader. Both parse the OPML and correctly reads the folders and entries correctly. Thunderbird 1.5 did this correctly also. (Hell, I was even surprised that IE7 got it right)

2. Folder usage is outdated. You cannot see child folder contents when viewing the parent. This is especially important when viewing Feeds. There should be an option for this. It simplifies viewing of new messages. AND don't say put it in a Global box, because that makes things unorganized and the fact that feeds can't have a global box in the current implementation.

3. There is no Tag Sidebar or proper Tag Manager. TB should learn a bit from Gmail's implementation. There should be a way to create and manage tags and see what's attached to them without going into the options menu for the watered down tab.

4. Going into Advance Account Management crashes the program...Didn't know where that came from. Sent a Talkback.

5. Session History Navigation...um, why exactly again is this needed? Can't comment on that feature since I have no idea what its supposed to do in Thunderbird. Unless you cycle through message with a button.

6. Newsgroups functionality still glitches into marking groups read when they had unread messages in them.

7. Though I like the fact that Thunderbird 2.0 b1 actually deletes the right account data when an account is actually removed. It doesn't work for Feeds atm.

The only improvements that actually shines for me is the visual refresh, The new notifiers and the sprinkling of spam protection enhancements. The rest seems either purely obvious and half done and what was left was repackaged from the Mozilla 1.8.1 platform.

I know that this is a beta but I hope that things get polished before shipping because otherwise I'll just stick with 1.5 until 3.0 rolls around. I guess since the Eudora boys are going to be doing major things in the near future, TB2.0 most likely seems like an afterthought more than anything.
AndyColson

Post by AndyColson »

webgremlin wrote:
AndyColson wrote:On my computer at work, when I installed 2b1, I saw the new theam.... for a while... and after restarting I dont see it anymore. On my computer at home I never saw it at all.

2b1 installer doesn't uninstall your Thunderbird 1.5. You're probably actually using your old thunderbird if you're seeing your old theme. On Windows your shortcut should probably point to:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird Beta 1\thunderbird.exe"

Yep, you are correct! I feel dumb now. Thanks and sorry for the noise.

-Andy
mscott

Re: view dropdown on toolbar

Post by mscott »

mynthon wrote:Is it posiible to create empty toolbar? When i add "view" dropdown and search box there is no room for more icons (bck/fwd/delete spam (from buttons! extension), see this screenshot: http://www.mynthon.net/zdjecia/view/screenshots

I filed Bug #363981 for this suggestion. Thanks for pointing this out!
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

appoloin wrote:Does this build have mozStorage

I found the file "urlclassifier2.sqlite" (zero file size) in the profile and these in compreg.dat but nothing in xpti.dat

@mozilla.org/storage/service;
@mozilla.org/storage/statement-wrapper

and this is fails
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/storage/service;1"]
.getService(Components.interfaces.mozIStorageService);

We should be building moz storage. But I don't see the xpt files getting packaged up on the windows build which would allow mozIStorageService to be accessible from javascript. I filed Bug #363979 to track this.
Thunderbirds are Go!