Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
SAS_Knight

Post by SAS_Knight »

How long untill version 1.0?
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

4 years, 9 months, and 2 days.

No one can tell you that. The developers could make a big-ass guess. Right now it's around one point release per month. That would put it in May. Allowing for slippage, I'd say December.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
willll

Post by willll »

0.7 is scheduled for february
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

willll wrote:0.7 is scheduled for february

Well, for me, 0.5 is already pretty darn stable. I can't even guess how great the release version will be!
Allenz

.5 - 1.0 Ought to be Something Great

Post by Allenz »

Considering the only thing I really miss in 0.5 is the ability to block all forms of autocomplete, I can't imagine what Phoenix will be like by the time it gets to 1.0. :)
tve

Post by tve »

I just hope the PX devs dont take K-Meleon as example, lol.. 1 year from 0.6 to 0.7... :-/
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

two legged freak wrote:I just hope the PX devs dont take K-Meleon as example, lol.. 1 year from 0.6 to 0.7... :-/

That's because there was a Mozilla bug blocking further developement. That said, I didn't find that out until they finally released 0.7, by which time I switched to Phoenix. I would be using K-Meleon if Phoenix hadn't come along and made such great strides.
ehume

Post by ehume »

alanjstr wrote:
two legged freak wrote:I just hope the PX devs dont take K-Meleon as example, lol.. 1 year from 0.6 to 0.7... :-/

That's because there was a Mozilla bug blocking further developement. That said, I didn't find that out until they finally released 0.7, by which time I switched to Phoenix. I would be using K-Meleon if Phoenix hadn't come along and made such great strides.

Just what did K-Meleon offer you that you liked it better than Mozilla? I couldn't see any difference.
priior

Post by priior »

i thought the only thing stopping the 1.0 release was finding a new name

;)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

ehume wrote:
alanjstr wrote:

Just what did K-Meleon offer you that you liked it better than Mozilla? I couldn't see any difference.

At the time, it offered me direct access to my IE bookmarks. Errr, that's about it. I don't like being tied to Da Man
ehume

Post by ehume »

alanjstr wrote:
ehume wrote:

At the time, it offered me direct access to my IE bookmarks. Errr, that's about it. I don't like being tied to Da Man
From this I conclude you were still using IE and adding to it's Favorites system, since Mozilla imports IE's favorites on a one-time basis.

I was just wondering why someone would use K-Meleon over Moz.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Because monolithic Mozilla is intolerably large, clunky and slow for a lot of users. But let's not argue about this.

- Chris
scratch

Post by scratch »

ehume wrote:
alanjstr wrote:
ehume wrote:

From this I conclude you were still using IE and adding to it's Favorites system, since Mozilla imports IE's favorites on a one-time basis.

I was just wondering why someone would use K-Meleon over Moz.

KM has a customizable toolbar like Phoenix. It's actually a lot more customizable than Phoenix's, as you can add buttons to do anything. The menus are entirely customizable as well.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

thumperward wrote:Because monolithic Mozilla is intolerably large, clunky and slow for a lot of users. But let's not argue about this.

But we're not arguing. This is actually a productive discussion, just in the wrong forum and thus off topic.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't use Mozilla because I wanted merely a browser. Ok, I'm done now.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

scratch wrote:KM has a customizable toolbar like Phoenix. It's actually a lot more customizable than Phoenix's, as you can add buttons to do anything. The menus are entirely customizable as well.

Since we all know that you can change literally anything in Phoenix (since it uses XUL) id like to add that the customatization scratch is refering to in K-Mel can be done directly inside the UI (and I think it's all dynamically updated).

That is definitly a poweruser feature not nessecary for Average Joe, but it sure would be nice to have such an extension for Phoenix one day, it's a greate feature :)