Transferring Messages from Mozilla 1.5 to Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
obvious_ron

Transferring Messages from Mozilla 1.5 to Thunderbird

Post by obvious_ron »

I tried following the profile migration instructions from the <a href="http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.2">Thunderbird help site</a>, but all that got transferred were my mail settings and not my mail messages. Is there a way to transfer saved e-mail from Mozilla into Thunderbird?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

By default, I believe both programs keep the actual mail files in your individual profile areas.

Find your Moz profile (typically for Windows XT C:\Documents and Settings\{Windows user name}\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\{Moz profile name}\XXXXXXXX.slt)

Copy the entire Mail folder found in the XXXXXXXX.slt folder to your TB profile (typically for Windows XT C:\Documents and Settings\{Windows user name}\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\{TB profile name}\XXXXXXXX.slt)

This should copy all your mail filters well as your messages and file structure.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
obvious_ron

Post by obvious_ron »

I got my profile settings and mail messages transferred from Mozilla to Thunderbird. There must've been an extra step I didn't do the first time. Maybe I didn't change the prefs.js file settings right or something.

Post by Guest »

This migration path is for the birds ;-) How about letting Fire- & Thunderbird read directly from the .mozilla directory? If that doesn't work, how about a migration script and/or a clean script.

If I'm going to migrate, I have to do this for me, my wife, my kids on my home computer, my office computer and at work. This is a bit much work. (OK my kids don't use the computer at work, but you get the idea.