Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
GordMcFee

Re: Installing TB2 Beta 1

Post by GordMcFee »

bentduus wrote:Hi
Recently I installed TB 1.5 and love it. It is going to replace IncrediMail, Outlook XP (Tired of Microsoft). I just found TB2 Beta 1 and was wondering if I need to un-install TB 1.5 prior to install of Beta 1?
Bent

Nope. It will install in a separate directory.
Gord McFee
tomgally

Alerts with IMAP folders; nonpersistent status messages

Post by tomgally »

I'm using TB2b1 (20061206) on Mac OS X 10.4.8. I have it set up with two IMAP accounts and a POP account. Two issues:

(1) Sometimes when I hit the "Get mail" button or do the corresponding key command (command + shift + T) I get the following alert:

Alert
The operation failed because an other operation is
using the folder. Please wait for that operation to finish
and then try again.

A few times, this alert has appeared again and again after I click "OK." Even aside from the spelling mistake ("an other" should be "another"), this alert is annoying, as it is not clear at all what "the folder" refers to. Presumably there was some interference between filters, but this alert does nothing to help me avoid it.

(2) When I check for new mail on an IMAP account--and IMAP handling, at least so far, seems a lot smoother in 2b than in 1.5.x--the status messages at the bottom of the screen appear and disappear so quickly that I often can't even read them. In particular, the message stating that there is no new mail on the server does not persist as it did during 1.5.x, so I sometimes wind up checking for new mail several times in succession just to make sure that the check really did go through. (In 1.5.x, there were often problems with TB becoming unresponsive when checking my IMAP accounts; those problems seem to have been fixed, but without the persistent status message I'm still a bit uneasy.)
Cpuroast

Re: TB 2.0 B1 getting new mail problem

Post by Cpuroast »

Hi,

I just tried the latest nightly build of Thunderbird version 2 beta 1 (20061218).

Same problem with POP3 over SSL.

Standard POP3, port 110, TB fetches new messages
Encrypted POP3 with SSL, port 995, TB doesn't fetch new messages.

Thanks again,

Keep up the great work !!!

Cpuroast wrote:Hi,
Ok, so I did a bit more testing, TB 2.0 B1 does retrieve new e-mail, but only through standard non-encrypted port 110. Where as TB 2.0 A1 and TB 1.5.0.x I used before that worked using both standard port 110 and using SSL port 995.

Since I value encryption, I'll stick with TB 2.0 A1 for now, until the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Cpuroast wrote:Hi,

I just re-installed my computer, so I just dropped in my previously backed up TB profile folder.

I was running 2.0 A1 before which was pretty much flawless.
So I'm about to re-download 2.0 A1 when I notice B1 is out in the release folder of the FTP.
So I grab that instead. Install it, everything seems fine, loads up my profile perfectly, all accounts are there and all locally stored e-mail.
I use it at work, so new mail happens all the time. It seems to check all accounts, no new mail. Can happen. This continues for a while. so I decide to test send an e-mail to myself. Seems to send ok. Still no e-mail, so I wait a bit thinking the e-mail server could be bogged down. Still no e-mail.

So I decide to uninstall TB 2.0 B1, and re-install TB 2.0 A1, again install goes fine, loads up fine, checks accounts, damn, new e-mail start flooding in, including the test e-mail I had previously sent with 2.0 B1.

So it seems TB 2.0 B1 has a bug with fetching new e-mail, btw I use SSL to access my POP3 e-mail on standard port 995.

Thanks, again,

Keep up the great work.

Ciao,
mkmelin

Post by mkmelin »

Cpuroast: if you have made sure firewalls/antivirus are not the problem here, can you file a bug and attach an imap (and pop3) protocol log?
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... .html#imap
highway of diamonds

Post by highway of diamonds »

I've posted this elsewhere so apologies -I've just found this thread:

I know I should have renamed it but didn't.

Ver 2.0 beta for windoze has just overwritten my profile - I'm not a happy chappy. Lost mail and accounts.

I've also noticed that the linux version will not run on my laptop (dell) running xandros 4.1 - and also on my desktop (AMD64) the new version will not 'see' my profile in xandros4.1
Asmodeous

Post by Asmodeous »

My testing has noted two problems with windows version (Windows XP Home Service Pack 2)

1. When you hover over inline image in the message pane and right click then left click on save image it does not appear that anything happens. I do not see any image stored on disk or any dialogue for save location.

2. When you hover over the icon on the headers displayed in the message pane you see in a tooltip "Double click for long view". If you double click the icon, subject, from, and date items disappear. Only the gray bar remains. You do not get the long view. Double click will not return icon, subject, from, and date items. No other mouse click actions have any effect on empty gray bar.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Asmodeous wrote:1. When you hover over inline image in the message pane and right click then left click on save image it does not appear that anything happens. I do not see any image stored on disk or any dialogue for save location.

Yeah, I got the same thing.

Cato62 wrote:
mkmelin wrote:
Cato62 wrote:I just installed the latest nightly on a Win XP box SP2. So far, so good except that I can no longer right click on an image and save it if the image has been inserted into the message instead of being an attachment.

The summary may be non-obvious... but that's #333607[Thunderbird]-Download Manager: contentAreaUtils.js error when saving link target

I voted for the bug. I'm sure this will be fixed soon. :)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
mscott

Post by mscott »

Asmodeous wrote:
2. When you hover over the icon on the headers displayed in the message pane you see in a tooltip "Double click for long view". If you double click the icon, subject, from, and date items disappear. Only the gray bar remains. You do not get the long view. Double click will not return icon, subject, from, and date items. No other mouse click actions have any effect on empty gray bar.

I don't know what you mean. I just looked through the code base and I can't find a string called "Double click for long view.". Is this the little toggle button to the left of the subject?
Thunderbirds are Go!
ngoff79

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Post by ngoff79 »

Finally I have a version of TB that doesn't consume all of my CPU 3 or 4 times a day. I was about to give up on TB as it kept consuming 99% of my corporate mandated Windows XP system. I even had XP reloaded to solve the problem, but it appears to be an issue with TB 1.5. With TB2b1 I have now gone several days without a CPU consumption.

The new UI is great and I haven't had any issues yet. One suggestion/enhancement request: Can you make the new mail notification smaller? I really love it, but it is to big.
Asmodeous

Post by Asmodeous »

@mscott

yes this is the little toggle button on the left of the subject. The message "Double click for long view." appears in a tooltip box after hovering approx. 1 second.
joeyconnick

Post by joeyconnick »

Does anyone know how TB 2b1 determines the list of "recent" folders when you Move To or Copy To recent? Because I've been using some folders and they won't show up on the "recent" list and I can't seem to figure out how TB determines whether a folder is "recent" or not. Is there an article in the Mozillazine wiki that explains this or any of the new TB 2 features?
afx114

Post by afx114 »

Please forgive if this was already mentioned, but TB 2.0 beta 1 is not obeying the "Check for new messages" checkboxes under the "Server Settings" section of the "Account Settings" screen. I have both checkboxes UNCHECKED but Thunderbird continues to download new emails. This is over IMAP, and I have 2 other accounts with both checkboxes checked. Is anyone else having this issue?
joeyconnick

Post by joeyconnick »

afx114 wrote:Please forgive if this was already mentioned, but TB 2.0 beta 1 is not obeying the "Check for new messages" checkboxes under the "Server Settings" section of the "Account Settings" screen. I have both checkboxes UNCHECKED but Thunderbird continues to download new emails. This is over IMAP, and I have 2 other accounts with both checkboxes checked. Is anyone else having this issue?
I noticed this with an IMAP account... the only way I can stop it is to restart Thunderbird and not give the password for the account. Even if I have it set not to check at startup and not to check every X minutes and not to make use of the IDLE command, if I manually check messages on the account once and give it my password, from then on it regularly checks and displays new mail notifications. *sigh*
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Hi again,

After one week of intensively using TB 2.0 I must congratulate the team. I works perfectly, the transition has been done with no hassle and it does have new features that make it priceless.

I have downloaded the following extensions which in my point of view, do complete the most needed features: Buttons 0.5.3.1; contacts add BCC button 0.0.5; british dictionary; Spanish dictionary; dictionary swithcher 1.1; extension manager extended 2.5.3; lightning 0.3; lightning multiweek view 0.2; mail redirect 0.7.4: nokia synchronizion 1.0.29; Show in Out 0.3.0; signature switch 1.4; SMTP select 0.1.1 All of them work flawlessly

Still pending to be updated are duplicate contact manager 0.2; Contact sidebar 0.6; Enigmail 0.94.11; Event to task conversion activator 0.0.2

Probably the only thing that is still lagging is the calendar and its multiple cross functions with the mail

The only issue or bug that I continue suffering is the options menu, as stated in my mail one week ago.
.a) Options menu seems to work randomly..., this is to say that sometimes when clicking over certain tabs, their contents do not load (i.e. click on "composition" and the grey space remains blank..)
, it may be a memory problem of my system, but i do not think that is the cause since the options tab that remains blank is precisely the one with the focus when the option menu was closed the previous time..(i.e, open options, make changes in one of the tabs -i.e lightning-, then close it, exit the system, open up again TB go to options and the lighning tab remains blank-)

Again congratulations for a fine work

Al_H
stugots

Re: Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Post by stugots »

ngoff79 wrote:Finally I have a version of TB that doesn't consume all of my CPU 3 or 4 times a day. I was about to give up on TB as it kept consuming 99% of my corporate mandated Windows XP system.

The 1.8 nightlies still do this on my machine...