Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
therearenoteams

Post by therearenoteams »

Tags seem to be working better now: previously problematic tags such as Important seem to remove by either deselecting the tag or removing all tags. Has any work been done in this area, or am I just losing it?
lkraav

Post by lkraav »

when you are in "unread folders" view (which is exactly what ive been yearning for) and you read through all unread messages or mark a folder read, i'd like the folder to automatically disappear from this view. is there some option for it, am i missing anything?
lvthunder

Post by lvthunder »

The thing that bothers me with Thunderbird 2 B1 is when I'm reading a long email (I like mailing lists in digest mode) and it downloads new messages it pops back to the top of the message.
coch

Post by coch »

Hi,

Good experience so far with TB 2.0b1, except that new mail marked as junk (either automatically or manually) is not moved to the junk folder on my local folder, even though the setting is set correctly to move junk mail to the junk folder. Is there a hidden pref I need to set?
kfleong

Post by kfleong »

Updated from TB 1.5.0.7 for several computers in the office. Found out that the Toolbar Icons are reverted back to using Large Icons with Text mode in the main & compose mail.

All the computers were set using Small Icons only mode in main Toolbar & compose mail Toolbar.

EDIT: To clarify: the options were still set as using Small Icons only but it was displayed as using Large Icons with Text mode.
Taimar

Post by Taimar »

Please make the New Mail Notification Alert clickable, so it opens arrived e-mail in new window.
Presently the same window can be opened by double-clicking on an item (= mail) in the mail-list.

MS Outlook has btw the same behaviour and it's really an user-friendly solution. :)

Thanks!
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Hi again,

TB 2.0 does not allow to copy contact cards, and this was a feature which was a available in previous versions. Indeed, a copy of an existing card cannot be done neither by accesing the menu -Address book-> Edit (copy function is not enabled) - nor by clicking the right button of the mouse.

This preexistent "card copy" feature does save time & hassle when filling up details of different contacts within the same company or organization. Indeed, instead of refilling in all the details one could copy an existing card of another contact, change name & direct phone/mobile and all the rest of the data (address, fax, etc etc) were kept.

Thanks

Al_H
stuarthemming

Post by stuarthemming »

I second taimpsfm 's suggestion, FWIW.
Stuart
tlyczko

Post by tlyczko »

Please implement something such that like in Outlook 2003 / Outlook Express that choosing to reply to or forward a message automatically closes the original message window.

Thank you, Tom
commuting an hour each way to work in upstate new york :)
pufoid

Linux AMD64

Post by pufoid »

Can I use the Linux binary (thunderbird-2.0b1.tar.gz) on AMD64 platforms? Or should I build from source?

Thanks.
pufoid

Message filters to Account Settings

Post by pufoid »

I like it a lot that the account-specific Junk settings have been moved to the Account Settings.

Since the message filters are also account-specific, I suggest to move them also to the Account Settings. That way it is more consistent and everything that is account-related can be found at the Account Settings.
pufoid

Move junk mail

Post by pufoid »

coch wrote:[...] new mail marked as junk (either automatically or manually) is not moved to the junk folder on my local folder, even though the setting is set correctly to move junk mail to the junk folder. Is there a hidden pref I need to set?

You have to mark the "Move new junk messages to" option under Account Settings > Local Folders > Junk Settings.
therearenoteams

Post by therearenoteams »

therearenoteams wrote:Tags seem to be working better now: previously problematic tags such as Important seem to remove by either deselecting the tag or removing all tags. Has any work been done in this area, or am I just losing it?
I'm going to be a goober and reply to myself: looks like a checkin on 12/15 fixed things for me on the branch. Very cool.
jgclark

Re: Alerts with IMAP folders; nonpersistent status messages

Post by jgclark »

tomgally wrote:Sometimes when I hit the "Get mail" button or do the corresponding key command (command + shift + T) I get the following alert:

Alert
The operation failed because an other operation is
using the folder. Please wait for that operation to finish
and then try again.

A few times, this alert has appeared again and again after I click "OK." Even aside from the spelling mistake ("an other" should be "another"), this alert is annoying, as it is not clear at all what "the folder" refers to. Presumably there was some interference between filters, but this alert does nothing to help me avoid it.

I get the same effect too on Windows 2000 SP4, for both 2.0b1 and 1.5.0.x
camecamp

Filters on outbound mail to add tags to help search "Se

Post by camecamp »

Hi,

I just installed 2.0 today and it looks great so far. The tags in particular are a welcome feature. Is there some way to set the filters to work on outbound mail that is saved in the "Sent" folder so that I can add tags to saved sent mail? I have filters to add tags to all emails with a specified address in the To: or From: field, so all of my email back and forth with a particular person gets a tag for that person, but as far as I can tell, the filters that add these tags only run automatically for inbound mail. If I want to update the tags for sent mail, I have to go to the Sent mail folder and run the filters there. Is there some way of setting things up so filters are run on mail that is added to the "Sent" folder?

I can't use virtual folders to achieve what I need because there isn't true boolean searching yet. Basically I want virtual folders with contents defined by (To or Cc:friend AND from:me) OR (To or Cc:me AND from:friend). I can achieve this with one filter to tag (To or Cc:friend AND from:me) as friend, and another filter to tag (To or Cc:me AND from:friend) as friend, and then a virtual folder that pulls all of the emails tagged with friend. Its convoluted but I have to do this so that a virtual folder for friend doesn't include all of their posts to a mailing list that I am also on, which would happen if I just grabbed everything that was from:friend.

I guess the ideal would be true boolean searches with parentheses and so forth, but lacking that, the combination of filters to apply tags and virtual folders based on tags works, with the one problem I noted at the beginning that there doesn't seem to be any way to automate the application of tags to outbound mail that is saved in the "Sent" folder. Maybe there could be a checkbox in Tools/Account Settings/Local Folders to specify that filters be applied to saved outbound mail?