Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Neff

Post by Neff »

Filter problems...
I have a filter set on one account that uses the local folders.
The filter is set to
1. Move the mail to a specific folder in the local folders
2. Add a star
3. Add a tag

It only adds the start.. however if I set the filter to
1. Move the mail to a specific folder in the local folders
2. Add a tag
3. Add a star

It only adds the tag. It appears to be doing only the first of the subsequent actions.
richard_leeds

Post by richard_leeds »

oops .. posted to a seperate thread about auto-save...

For completeness... refer to here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=496654
shaydesls

Post by shaydesls »

I would like to be able to select text from adress/phone display area of the address book. Lot of times I want to paste, for example some one's cell phone or address, in an email, I would like to select & paste (on Linux) or copy/paste just that part. Now I have to open Properties and copy from there.
-akshay
richard_leeds

Post by richard_leeds »

Looking at Bugzilla, it seems this was reported for version 1.5 and fixed. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314009 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=308870

Does this mean it is a regression, or the previous patch no longer works, the previous patch hasn't been brought forward into v2, or is it a completely new problem?

Could someone try to recycle the old patch for v2? I don't have the coding skills :-(
Tony Raven

Newsgroup message bug?

Post by Tony Raven »

I'm finding when I go to a newsgroup and the headers are downloaded, often the body is not accessible from the headers until you click on another folder and then return to the newsgroup. This is happening in Safe Mode too and was not present on v1.5.0.9. Otherwise pretty much everything seems to work without problems.

One usability comment - the bottom left online-offline indicator is much less obvious as to which state it is in for people like me with red green color blindness. As red green color blindness affects 5% of males a fair number of future users will have the same problem.

Tony
Mark Stosberg

tagging still needs work, other issues remain

Post by Mark Stosberg »

I posted feedback of this build on my blog at:

http://www.richmondcomputes.org/blog/ma ... needs_work

It covers tagging feedback, newsgroup names, and upgrade compatibility issues. A screenshot to clarify some of the issues is included.

Mark
Tony Raven

XML: ">menuitem"

Post by Tony Raven »

MarK,

The XML: ">menuitem" is actually an extension problem. I had the same when I moved off Safe Mode to enabling the extensions. I suspect you have the Buttons! extension. If you disable it the problem should go.
Mark Stosberg

When ext XUL doesn't load properly, result should be better

Post by Mark Stosberg »

Thanks for the response Tony, I suspect you are right.

However, not handling problems caused extensions gracefully is <em>Thunderbird's</em> problem. Ideally it would be self-aware enough to express "There was a problem loading the 'Buttons' extension, it has been disabled. (click here for details). ". I realize for technical reasons that may not be easy to implement.

Surely, there's a better solution than just spewing broken XML to the user. This exception ought to be able to be caught, and <em>some kind</em> of more informative error returned that helps track down the issue.
Tony Raven

Post by Tony Raven »

Surely the other way round. When you installed TB2.0b1 it will have disabled the incompatible extensions. You will have taken the decision to use NTT to allow those disabled extensions to run. There is not guarantee that any of those extensions will work or not cause problems. If you don't want such problems, either don't run beta software (its not a release version) or don't use NTT to re-enable disabled extensions. All the protections you want are there otherwise unless you chose to override them.
Mark Stosberg

<menuitem upgrade issue is for real

Post by Mark Stosberg »

TB2.0b1 did disable many extensions. I'm sorry I don't recall exactly which were disabled and which remained (I have since nuked that test install of TB). I never installed the Nightly Testing Tool extension, so that couldn't be related. So real upgrade issue remains, which TB did not handle gracefully.
nesara

Post by nesara »

Hi,

TB2.0b1 looks great. I especially like the new notifications. However, I've only tested the build on my WinXP system in a virtual machine. My productive system is a Suse Linux 10.0 with KDE 3.5.5. How will the notifications work there? With Tb 1.5 I never got them to work unless I used extensions to do the job TB itself should have done.

What I have been missing in 1.5 and as it is now am still missing in 2.0, is a way to search ALL folders and not just those belonging to a certain account. Often enough, especially with forum registrations, I cannot remember which account I used and thus have to search all accounts separately to find the email I was looking for.

nesara
pvilela

Post by pvilela »

joeyconnick wrote:Does anyone know how TB 2b1 determines the list of "recent" folders when you Move To or Copy To recent? Because I've been using some folders and they won't show up on the "recent" list and I can't seem to figure out how TB determines whether a folder is "recent" or not. Is there an article in the Mozillazine wiki that explains this or any of the new TB 2 features?

I have the same problem. Also on the Left Panel, if I chose Recent only the Inbox is shown
ADobkin

Redundant extensions

Post by ADobkin »

Al_H wrote:I have downloaded the following extensions which in my point of view, do complete the most needed features: Buttons 0.5.3.1; contacts add BCC button 0.0.5; british dictionary; Spanish dictionary; dictionary swithcher 1.1; extension manager extended 2.5.3; lightning 0.3; lightning multiweek view 0.2; mail redirect 0.7.4: nokia synchronizion 1.0.29; Show in Out 0.3.0; signature switch 1.4; SMTP select 0.1.1 All of them work flawlessly

FYI, you do not need SMTP Select if you have Buttons installed. I believe it already has this feature built-in.
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

mkmelin wrote:
Cato62 wrote:I just installed the latest nightly on a Win XP box SP2. So far, so good except that I can no longer right click on an image and save it if the image has been inserted into the message instead of being an attachment.

The summary may be non-obvious... but that's #333607[Thunderbird]-Download Manager: contentAreaUtils.js error when saving link target

So is there a work-around for this other than having the sender do the image as an attachment?
--
version 2 beta 1 (2006122804)
aferrante

Reply to all shortcut

Post by aferrante »

I would like to report a small problem with TB 2.0b1 (under Fedora Core Linux 6). The keyboard shortcut for "Reply to all" (CTRL+SHIFT+R) seems not to work. When utilized TB just does a normal "Reply". Selecting "Reply to all" from the menu works correctly.

Bye,
Alberto