PDF attachments only give save/cancel as option, not open

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fxer

PDF attachments only give save/cancel as option, not open

Post by fxer »

I upgraded to Thunderbird 2.0b1 and now my PDF files can only be saved to disk when I open the attachment, I can't select the pdf file to open with the default viewer. Is this some kind of "security" feature, is there a way to turn it off?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Builds where the test builds are discussed.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

place this in your userchrome.css or use the Stylish extension to create the style.

Code: Select all

#normalBox {
  visibility: visible !important;
}

first time it puts .pdf files (and other known types) into the Options->Attachments Download Actions filetypes list to handle the desired action by default. but the dialog is klunky and broken (doesn't work for .doc files eg., even though ms word is opened, it doesn't save that filetype).
fxer

Post by fxer »

Well I see a userchrome.css in the firefox directory, but no chrome stuff in the thunderbird profile directory.
JoeS

Re: PDF attachments only give save/cancel as option, not ope

Post by JoeS »

fxer wrote:I upgraded to Thunderbird 2.0b1 and now my PDF files can only be saved to disk when I open the attachment, I can't select the pdf file to open with the default viewer. Is this some kind of "security" feature, is there a way to turn it off?

That problem seems to have been fixed by:
[*]# 347230 [Firefox] - Minimal "Save"-only dialog shown for files with discoverable types (known file extensions) [All]

But I don't think it has been checked into branch builds yet.
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post
sansibar

Post by sansibar »

This should be a feature, not a bug, it's the same in FF2. This means that TB doesn't identify the pdf correctly, and so it blocks it as an unknown file like an .exe-file. I have found out, that this often happens with pdf-files, I don't know why. There seems to be only one workaround:

http://www.geeknewz.com/board/index.php ... =11&y=2006
helo

Post by helo »

This is now finally working as it used to on the Thunderbird 2.0 branch with the daily build from Dec. 31st, and offering the open with dialog.

Thunderbird 2.0b1 (2006123104)