Firefox still running after I close it down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Crazytrekker

Firefox still running after I close it down

Post by Crazytrekker »

Not sure if this has been discussed - I can't find it - but all of a sudden I've (infrequently) been receiving a message when trying to launch Firefox that it's already running and must be closed before starting a new session. I have to go into my running programs, close Firefox.exe and then launch the program again. This only appears to be happening since I installed the latest version 1.5.0.7.

Is this a known problem?

John
travisab1

Post by travisab1 »

This happens to me too. Sometimes 3 times a day only I have to do a reboot to be able to get back online using FF. I usually have to use IE to get emergancies done before rebooting. Other than this, I love FF.
Regards,
Travis
Lost User 2649

Post by Lost User 2649 »

I had this problem and if you search the Forum you will find others with this malady. It appears to be a Virus that affects your default browser. The virus is called Poison Ivy. It's more a PIA then a serious threat. Search your Task manger for microsoft.exe. Search C:\Windows\System 32 for Ivy.exe or microsoft.exe.

I had a bugger of a time getting rid of it. Fortunately I realized the problem quickly and did a system restore to the day before it appeared. That sorted it.

What Virus program do you have? Try AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com It's free.

Good Luck,
Decon
travisab1

Post by travisab1 »

Thanks Decon:

I going to have to check this out. I've just spent two weeks re-installed most of my programs and re-registering them after a destructive restoration. Don't want to go through that again. I was told FF is the best browser out there in cyber-space. I'm hoping.
Regards,
Travis
travisab1

Post by travisab1 »

Decon:

I just did a search for both of those files and couldn't find either. I've use AVG Anti-Virus for several years now with good luck. After I did the destructive Re-covery I found I had an open wire in my monitor power cord that connected if I moved the monitor one way and disconnected if I moved it another way. On and off thingy if you know what I mean. What a waste of time.
Regards,
Travis
pstoll

Post by pstoll »

Count me in...sometimes three or four times, daily and this started only fater installing the latest version 1.5.0.7
Cyberfox

Post by Cyberfox »

I am running the RC2 of FF 2 and I also have this problem. Just did a virus scan and I scan for adware daily--nothing.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Me too on a Win 98SE system. Often it doesn't start. I don't know if it's exactly the same problem, but it's similar. I can have several copies running without a visible Fx window. Terminating the copies can render the computer nonresponsive. Both 1.5.0.7 and 2.0RC1, new profiles, new program files in new directories. Realizing the security risks, I'll try 1.5.0.6 again to make sure it's not due to the computer or some other cause.
Crazytrekker

Post by Crazytrekker »

Decon wrote:I had this problem and if you search the Forum you will find others with this malady. It appears to be a Virus that affects your default browser. The virus is called Poison Ivy. It's more a PIA then a serious threat. Search your Task manger for microsoft.exe. Search C:\Windows\System 32 for Ivy.exe or microsoft.exe.
I had a bugger of a time getting rid of it. Fortunately I realized the problem quickly and did a system restore to the day before it appeared. That sorted it.
What Virus program do you have? Try AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com It's free.
Good Luck,
Decon

Nope, I don't have any of these files/virus. I'm using the latest version of Zonealarm with Pestpatrol, Spyware Blaster and Adaware. At last check my system was completely clean. Looks like a problem with the latest version of Firefox.

John
MWHFIREFOXXP

Me too

Post by MWHFIREFOXXP »

I have XP SP 2 and FireFox 2.0 and if I've been on Firefox, then close it, sometimes it won't open again until I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, choose Firefox.exe and hit End Process.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Update
Started with version 1.5.0.7, but now found in versions 1.5.0.6 and 2.0. Similar problem affects two other non-Mozilla programs, so it may be a system problem rather than Firefox. Hard to diagnose, since many tools don't work on Win 98. If that were my main computer I'd have it fixed or replaced by now, I expect.
travisab1

Post by travisab1 »

I've learned this...Ask if it can be fixed within the confines/combines of the programmers abilities. If not...un-install and re-install. If that don't work...find another suitable browser and use it until it starts having difficulties then...welllll, you know what to do.

Travis
Regards,
Travis
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Travisab1,
You've missed something. Most problems are not solved by uninstalling and reinstalling, because problems usually reside in the profile, and that is not touched by uninstalling. See my signature for details. If you haven't already done this, I'd suggest (2) starting Fx in Fx safe mode to disable themes and extensions for debugging; and (2) if that doesn't work, create a new profile, which resets everything. This should take a few minutes.

Whatever Windows debugging and restoration you did, I hope you remembered to work in safe mode. Windows is perfectly capable of restoring viruses that you just deleted.

If you still have problems, it shouldn't be necessary to reboot to get going again. Ctrl-Alt-Delete will get you either the Task Manager (Processes Tab) or the Win 98 equivalent. Just terminate the firefox.exe process.
DrakeWymulf

No way to close the process

Post by DrakeWymulf »

I have a similiar problem with the latest firefox, 2.0.1. However, it won't even let me terminate the process, or restart the browser It sits in memory, using up 40%-100% of my CPU and will not even close when I try to shut down the computer. I REALLY need help on this. I'm getting to the point where I am ready to uninstall Firefox and go to IE because I have to cut the power to my computer in order to browse with firefox again.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.