[Ext] Session Manager 0.4 to 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I managed to resolve both issues above, but the old closedtab data apparently isn't formatted correctly since it does show up, but all the closed tabs show up as "undefined" and they can't be reopened. I disabled the converting of the old closedtab data, but left the underlying code in there in case someone wants to fix it.
garberfc

Support for FF 2.x?

Post by garberfc »

Hi,

Is there a planned date for a release supporting FF 2.x?

Thanks,

Frank
Morac

Post by Morac »

Nothing is really planned. I kind of did this in my spare time, mainly because I wanted an updated version of SM and I wanted to see if I could convert it. What I have here is as "official" as it's going to get, barring bug fixes.

If zeniko wants to put it on his site and upload it to addons.mozilla.org, I'm fine with that.
gssq

Post by gssq »

You should bump the version to 0.4.3.1 so we know it's updated.

Also, could you add a right click context menu so we can edit/delete sessions by right clicking on them? Thanks
Morac

Post by Morac »

Well I didn't really think it was necessary since 0.4.3 doesn't install in Firefox 2.0 and this version does, but I can (and did) bump it to 0.4.3.1.
gssq

Post by gssq »

A lot of us manually bump extensions. 99% of the time they work on newer versions of FF still.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Morac wrote:If zeniko wants to put it on his site and upload it to addons.mozilla.org, I'm fine with that.

I prefer not uploading a version which I'm not personally responsible for resp. which I haven't excessively tested. So far, I've thus just added a link to this post of yours to all relevant places.

However as I said: I'd let you take over the entries at addons.mozilla.org and mozdev.org...
Morac

Post by Morac »

zeniko wrote:
Morac wrote:However as I said: I'd let you take over the entries at addons.mozilla.org and mozdev.org...

I could do that just e-mail or pm me with the info I need.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Morac wrote:I could do that just e-mail or pm me with the info I need.

I've adjusted permissions so that you can use your own credentials at both sites for updating Session Manager.

I suggest upping the version number to either 0.4.4 or even 0.5 before uploading in order to make clear that more than a few lines of code have changed since version 0.4.3. Furthermore it would probably be appropriate for you to create a new feedback thread so that you also have control about the thread's first post.

Finally: Thanks for not letting this project die... ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

It was my pleasure.

I've submitted it to the Mozilla people. Based on past experience it should be available in a few days. When it gets accepted, I create a new thread.
LLane

Post by LLane »

I've just discovered this extension and it looks to have tons of potential. I eagerly installed Morac's bump above on a machine running FF 2.0.0.1 and TMP 0.3.5.2. It does save sessions when I shut down FF, but when I try to restore them, nothing happens.

Then when I try to manually save a session, it gives me this error:

Meanwhile, trying to save the current window gives me this:

I tried disabling TMP's Session Manager and still the same errors came up. I would so love to be able to save sessions; that's the primary reason I installed this extension, so any suggestions for fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

I've also tried this on a clean FF install with just TMP and FF, so it's not a case of extension incompatibility, I don't think.

Installing the older FF1.5 version with Nightly Tester Tools does "allow" session saving without that error pop-up, but again, clicking on any session to restore has no effect.
Last edited by LLane on January 5th, 2007, 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Morac: One other thing Crash Recovery had and SessionStore hasn't is Cache Fixer functionality (which tries to preserve as much of the disk cache as possible). In order to re-add it, add this component (or something alike) to Session Manager's components directory...
gssq

Post by gssq »

This is a far shot, but does Cache Fixer fix history too? In the bad old days crashes would wipe my FF history every few weeks. For the past year it's happened maybe every few months though.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Llane: I know what is triggering these error but not why they are occurring.
For the first one, the stripTabUndoData function takes the state data returned by the Firefox SessionStore component and reads the window data. The only way I'd see that error occurring is if there were no windows open (which can't be true).
The second error seems to be occurring because there is no window data being stored by SessionStore for the window you are trying to save. That too doesn't make any sense.
In both cases the problem seems to be with the window data being stored by SessionStore. Do you have any strange settings in Firefox (like disabling cookies or something like that) or weird windows open?

zeniko, do you have ideas for this one?

zeniko: I put that component in the SM components directory.

gssq: It doesn't look like the Cache Fixer fixes the history file. I've never seen the history get wiped out on a crash. The whole history data is being ported over to use sqllite for Firefox 3.0. I don't know if that will help or not with your problem.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Llane: Try another clean profile and make sure to tell Tab Mix Plus to use the built-in session manager. This works for me quite nicely and the errors you posted look like one way or the other Firefox' SessionStore has been disabled.

Should it still not work, install Console², try once more to save and restore a session and then paste all Chrome related Errors here (from Tools -> Error Console).

gssq wrote:does Cache Fixer fix history too?

;)