Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 1 Feedback Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

ffextensionguru wrote:
mkmelin wrote:
Cato62 wrote:I just installed the latest nightly on a Win XP box SP2. So far, so good except that I can no longer right click on an image and save it if the image has been inserted into the message instead of being an attachment.

The summary may be non-obvious... but that's #333607[Thunderbird]-Download Manager: contentAreaUtils.js error when saving link target

So is there a work-around for this other than having the sender do the image as an attachment?
--
version 2 beta 1 (2006122804)

I keep checking this when every new build updates, but so far I have seen nothing fixed yet for this issue. If you haven't, go vote for the bug and maybe it will get fixed that much quicker. ;)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
afx114

Post by afx114 »

shaydesls wrote:I would like to be able to select text from adress/phone display area of the address book. Lot of times I want to paste, for example some one's cell phone or address, in an email, I would like to select & paste (on Linux) or copy/paste just that part. Now I have to open Properties and copy from there.

I second that. It would be great to be able to "Right Click > Copy Email Address" from the address book card preview, similar to what you can do from an email's "From" header. I've created enhancement Bug #365421
aferrante

Memory leaks

Post by aferrante »

Hi all,
it sounds like TB 2b1 has some memory leak problems (are they the same as TB 1.5.09?). At the moment it has been up in my system (Fedora Core Linux 6) for 3 hours and it is using 385MB of memory. After some hours it easily goes to more than 500MB. It's really too much to make it usable in everyday life: you cannot keep restarting the mail client every few hours because it's eating too much memory!

A part from this, TB2 looks great to me!

Regards,
Alberto
sciemom

Mac User's Experiences with Tagging

Post by sciemom »

I finally had some time to try out the tagging functionality. My mail (>10,000 messages) is stored/accessed via IMAP and I couldn't determine whether more than 5 keywords/labels/tags would be supported other than by trial and error so I copied a bunch of mail to a test account and began exploring by redefining the standard labels/tags in TB2b1 and by adding additional new tags for a total of ~15 which I then started applying. I then logged out, created a fresh profile and assessed whether the tags associated with particular messages were retained on the server. In my limited testing (Mac OS X), it looked like they were, but of course, I could only see them if I first defined them in the new profile.

Here are the issues/questions so far:
1. The Preferences>Display>Tag tab only displays the first 10 tags making it impossible to do any editing of the remainder of the tags. Given that a tag list may become quite long, it is critical to be able to delete tags you don't want and to be able to edit the text (e.g. to correct typos). Is there a work around such as editing a file that will help with this until the UI is fixed?
2. The position of tags in the list kept changing as I added more tags and I provisionally concluded that they were appearing in alphabetical order (from the Tags menu command or popup menu in the task bar. The problem is that the tags labeled 6-9 were affected by this as well rendering the keyboard shortcuts useless since the tag associated with them would change.
3. The behavior described in #2 leads to the question whether the tag specificity is retained on a per message basis irrespective of the tag's position in the list?
4. Displaying the Tags column in the message list shows the canonical labels for messages tagged 1-5 (i.e. important, work) instead of the redefined tag text. Examination of the message headers does show the "correct" tag is retained.
5. I was pleased to see that the tags menu ends become scrollable when the list is too long for the screen. This works nicely from the Message>Tags menu item but is not as nicely implemented from the Tags popup menu (no arrowheads, choppy motion, doesn't alway reveal the New Tag item).

All in all, I'm really excited about the tagging functionality. More to say but this post is already quite long so I'll stop for now :)
xtf

Post by xtf »

Does the installer really have to pollute my desktop and quick launch bar by default (on Windows)? I'd prefer those options to be off.

And is there a way to search in all accounts at once?
The Subscribe dialog is missing a maximize button.
hornet_hockey

Post by hornet_hockey »

Pollute? what do you mean?
xtf

Post by xtf »

hornet_hockey wrote:Pollute? what do you mean?

Put icons on them.
hornet_hockey

Post by hornet_hockey »

All other software does that
xtf

Post by xtf »

hornet_hockey wrote:All other software does that

So what?
hornet_hockey

Post by hornet_hockey »

so what are you complaining about?lol
xtf

Post by xtf »

hornet_hockey wrote:so what are you complaining about?lol

What part of "I'd prefer those options to be off. " do you not understand?
mscott

Re: Mac User's Experiences with Tagging

Post by mscott »

sciemom wrote:
Here are the issues/questions so far:
1. The Preferences>Display>Tag tab only displays the first 10 tags making it impossible to do any editing of the remainder of the tags. Given that a tag list may become quite long, it is critical to be able to delete tags you don't want and to be able to edit the text (e.g. to correct typos). Is there a work around such as editing a file that will help with this until the UI is fixed?

Thanks for the great post.

I get a vertical scrollbar in the Tag tab in the Options dialog when I add more tags than we have vertical space to show. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the scrollbar as well. What platform are you on? Are you using any extensions?
Thunderbirds are Go!
jd2066

Post by jd2066 »

Hi,
According to http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumbling ... beta1.html there should be new mail notifications in this beta for UNIX and from what I see of the bug report Linux too. Though like the last version I'm still not getting any notifications of new mail when it comes in. I'm using an IMAP account in Thunderbird under Gentoo Linux.
Justin
cityfan

Post by cityfan »

hornet_hockey wrote:All other software does that

Most well behaved software installers ask you if you wish to add an icon to your desktop, add to the Start Programs list etc.

The request is that T'Bird do the same.
mscott

Post by mscott »

jd2066 wrote:Hi,
According to http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumbling ... beta1.html there should be new mail notifications in this beta for UNIX and from what I see of the bug report Linux too. Though like the last version I'm still not getting any notifications of new mail when it comes in. I'm using an IMAP account in Thunderbird under Gentoo Linux.
Justin

that's in the current nightly but not in beta 1. It will be in beta 2.
Thunderbirds are Go!