typing and mouse response DELAY

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
artworthy

typing and mouse response DELAY

Post by artworthy »

Typing is slowed (delayed response fro letters to appear) and mouse response slowed 4 to 5 seconds. IE (and all other appl's) have no problem on same pc. No problem on notebook at home. Rebooting and going to safe mode -- no effect.

What's up with this? ....don't want to go back to IE.

artworthy
neal2

Post by neal2 »

You did mean Firefox safe mode, not windows safe mode, correct?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

Yes
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

Yes FF safe mode doesn't help. This delayed typing thing is a huge pain. Will have to go back to IE if no remedy -- but sure there is. Any help out there ... or previous posts I overlooked?
vyou

it's not fixable

Post by vyou »

I had the same problem. Spent two days figuring out that it was a Symantec Norton Systemworks 2004 problem which required uninstalling all Symantec prodcts, then deleting from the registry completely, then installing Firefox again, then installing Norton Systemworks again. that solved it, or so I thought. Worked great for 4 days and then while I had Firefox open, didn't update, didn't change anything or even do anything (the computer was idle,) the problem magically re-appeared. People had tried to help in this forum and will be "astonished" that I am not the only one to have the problem. Those were exact words. Forget it, you'll just waste your time - download 1.5.0.9 and forget about the most recent version until the developers admit there is a problem first, and then fix it.
vyou

this might help

Post by vyou »

See this post:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 15&start=0

for more information. I can't say it for sure applies to you but might help.

Now I am back on 1.5.0.9 and ahh, what a relief it is. Nobody should have to fight this much just to browse the internet.
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

Thanks so much -- now I don't feel like some crazy dude shouting in the desert. Didn't see your post last night to reply and came in the office this AM pissed.

1.5.0.9 ... come to papa.
VanillaMozilla

Re: it's not fixable

Post by VanillaMozilla »

vyou wrote:People had tried to help in this forum and will be "astonished" that I am not the only one to have the problem. Those were exact words. Forget it, you'll just waste your time - download 1.5.0.9 and forget about the most recent version until the developers admit there is a problem first, and then fix it.

I protest. You later replaced your security software entirely and claimed to have solved your problem. In fact, you wrote:
vyou wrote:I can honestly say that System works 2004 was a horrible product and a it's not only Firefox that has problems with it ditch it. ...Your recommendation is a good one - solved the problem,... Great stuff and Firefox 2.0.0.1 works with it just fine, the way I'd expect.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 15#2681315

Now you dare to find someone with a similar problem and tell them the browser is no good. Not only that but you have the nerve to misparaphrase my words. You're interfering with support, and you don't deserve our help. Get out of here.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on January 3rd, 2007, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Artworthy,
I don't want to bother chasing this down any more. If you want to fix it and try the current version, let us know, and I'm pretty sure somebody will be here for you.
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

I was a Foxpro appl developer for several years way "back in the day". Now I'm in art. But I still can follow diagnostic and fix instuctions from KB's pretty well. I spent a lot of time carefully going thru each one of the FF "Hang" notes. None of it with results. BTW, FF works fine on my notebook at home. I'm at a loss for options -- and I miss my tabs.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Well, you're not giving us much to go on. OS? Processor? Dual processors or hyperthreading? Did you try a new profile? When it hangs, does it use a lot of the CPU time? (See Windows Task Manager, Processes tab if applicable). You don't have a home page running with JavaScript, Flash, or Java, do you?
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

VanillaMozilla wrote:Well, you're not giving us much to go on. OS? Processor? Dual processors or hyperthreading? Did you try a new profile? When it hangs, does it use a lot of the CPU time? (See Windows Task Manager, Processes tab if applicable). You don't have a home page running with JavaScript, Flash, or Java, do you?
XPpro, P4, cleared everything (safe mode, uninstalled/reinstalled), hangs 5-10 sec (peaks @ 90% cpu usage with only FF open), no flash /java running. As mentioned, 1.5.0.9 runs great on home notebook, and all other appl's and IE run fine on this pc.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

OK, let's try the remaining questions. Do you have Hyperthreading? Did you try a new profile? See my signature.

Hyperthreading is in the "Firefox hangs" article. An easy way to disable it is to run the browser in Win 98 mode. A new profile often fixes things when you otherwise don't have a clue.

And a new question. Is it grinding the disk when it's hung up?

There are some recent reports of problems with security programs. For example, Vyou reported that solved his problem by getting rid of of Norton stuff, and there's another report of a problem similar to yours that's due to Outpost (here, and previous messages by UMC). I think there are some older reports too.
artworthy

Post by artworthy »

Thanks for the clues. Running FF in win98 mode was one of the first things I tried. But not entirely sure what "new profile" means -- assume it means overall preferences, settings, etc. When I uninstalled and reinstalled FF2 wouldn't that set it up with a new/default profile (or is there a residual config file that calls the same settings?). No disk grind when hung -- just my teeth.

thanks again
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

All your settings, extensions, bookmarks, etc. are in your profile. A new profile gives you all new, default settings and no themes or extensions. You can still switch back to the old profile or bring your bookmarks, etc. into the new one. See my signature for details.

When you don't have a clue what's wrong, that's a good way to go, because it takes you a few seconds to reset EVERYTHING. You still have plugins to worry about, but everything else is wiped clean for testing.

I do recommend that you disable Java in the new profile, however. (Tools > Options > Content). Older versions of Java are vulnerable to malware.