Help with changing default fonts

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MyKey

Help with changing default fonts

Post by MyKey »

I've been using Firebird since 0.5 and have never had any problems with fonts until now. I recently upgraded to Mandrake 9.2 and now my default fonts in Firebird (20031118 xft/gtk2) are whacked out.

Here's what I had previously and cannot reproduce:

"Proportional" in "Fonts & Colors" was set to "serif",
"Serif" in "Fonts & Colors" was set to "Times New Roman",
"Sans-serif" in "Fonts & Colors" was set to "Arial",
Firebird's menus, buttons, and text-entry fields were *not* Times New Roman.

Now when I change the "Serif" font to anything but the default, *everything* in Firebird changes to that font--menus, buttons, text-entry fields all change to "Times New Roman".

Firebird's behavior (before you change fonts) is to default to serif for HTML text and sans-serif for Firebird interface elements. However, whenever I change the serif font, it changes everything in Firebird to that font. Is that the correct behavior? If so, is there any way to change it?

I suspect this may be a GTK2 issue, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

*Mike
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

This thread might be worth reading. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=35470 bozz and TheOneKEA have some suggestions that might help.
MyKey

Post by MyKey »

Fixed it.

Mandrake 9.2 installed several new Bitstream Vera Serif font code pages (specifially, "adobe-standard") which caused Firebird to use that font instead of my preferred (Microsoft) Times New Roman. I removed the offending entries for VeraSe*.ttf and added "adobe-standard" entries for times*.ttf in the appropriate fonts.dir files.

What still bothers me is that when you change the default serif font in Firebird it changes *everything* to that font. What if I want to have Georgia as the default font for web pages, but want Firebird's interface fonts to be Tahoma? I can find no simple way to do this from within Firebird. Should I file a bug in Bugzilla?

*Mike