Firefox certificate problems

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Firefox certificate problems

Post by Guest »

I have forgotten the password for the certificate I need to log onto my internet bank. When I ask Firefox to remove it, I am asked for the password. Even when I (by ways unknown) managed to get it off the list of certificates, Firefox still asked for a password when I tried reinstalling a certificate (1).

I also tried deleting the bank as a trusted certificate issuer, but this didn't help either. I have also tried deleting any files that might contain the certificate, but not found any likely candidates other than cert8.db. Erasing this file does not help.

What should I do? Wiping out any number of files to fix the problem is quite OK, as long as I know which files to delete, since I have only this one certificate.

Notes:
1) I can get virtually unlimited certificates from the bank, so erasing one is no problem.

Solved!

Post by Guest »

I killed Firefox, deleted a lot of files, restarted Firefox and got another certificate from the bank. End of problem!

The files I deleted are:

cert8.db
key3.db
localstore.rdf
search.sqlite
secmod.db
urlclassifier2.sqlite
XPC.mfasl
xpti.dat
XUL.mfasl

There are probably several files that have nothing to do with the problem, but I haven't noticed any bad side effects yet.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

By deleting key3.db you have lost access to passwords saved in signons.txt (if you use that option).
Localstore.rdf stores the toolbar customizations. Deleting that file resets them.
See: Files in the Profile Folder (KB)

cert8.db and maybe secmod.db should have been sufficiient.