address book alphabetical order

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
cisco23

address book alphabetical order

Post by cisco23 »

I just added two new address books and they are not in alphabetical order. How can I change them so that they are alphabetized?. Is there an extension to handle this issue?
Thanks
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

In the Address Book, use View -> Show name as -> (Your choice here).

Then, in the pane that lists all the entries, put your cursor over the "Name" column and left click it. If they are in reverse alphabetical, left click it again to get them to go from A -> Z.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
cisco23

Post by cisco23 »

I guess I did not make my problem clear. It is not the addresses within an address book it is the collection of address books that I want sorted alphabetically. I am unable to have them sorted in such a manner.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I believe they are in the order in which they are added, with a caveat. The "Personal Address Book" (which you cannot delete), is listed first. Then they get put in alphabetical order, then the "Collected Addresses" go last, which again, you cannot delete.

I couldn't find an extension that will let you reorder your address books, though I know there is one that will reorder your accounts. Sorry.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
cisco23

Post by cisco23 »

the order is random... there is a way to change but it involves changes to the config editor.. but the application is just not easy to grasp.

thanks again for your help...