11-19 0.4a Builds Now Available (Win32, OSX, GTK2 Linux)

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

11-19 0.4a Builds Now Available (Win32, OSX, GTK2 Linux)

Post by mscott »

You can find the builds here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... -19-trunk/

This build is just full of new things for you to try out and help test. I don't know where to begin :)

1) The animated biff alert has been redesigned with a crisp new look and now shows the Account name instead of your user name. (Win32)

2) The progressmeter now shows up and shows progress in the main mail window when performing long mail operations such as loading a message, downloading new mail, etc. *finally!!*

3) Normally, when you view a message, we mark it as read after displaying it. You can now hook this up to a timer such that we only mark the message as read after you have been viewing it for n seconds where n is configurable. To try this out, go to Tools / Options / Advanced / General Settings. I would also like help in looking for any regressions this new feature has caused with our normal mark as read behavior.

4) You can now make Thunderbird your default News client. Tools / Options / General. In addition, I've made a lot of changes to how we register ourselves as a mail and news client with the Windows Registry. In particular, you should now be able to seemlessly change default clients either within thunderbird or through IE's Tools / Options / Programs panel. Of course all of this assumes that you have the right access capabilities for writing into the windows registry. I'll need *LOTS* of help testing this out to make sure I did not regress anything.

5) Fixed a hang with news servers that require authentication and you enter an incorrect password.

6) David Bienvenu checked in some fixes so we no longer forget your POP password if we get an error back from the POP server.

7) David also added a new Filter action for POP users. You can now have a filter which removes a message meeting your criteria from the server if you are configured to leave mail on server by default.

8) When threads are sorted by date, we now sort by the newest msg in the thread. (Thanks David)

9) You can now sort messages by Junk Status

Known Issues
----------------

1) <del>a message is marked as read only after you left it open for 5 seconds.</del> The Windows build has just been replaced with a fix.

2)<del> If you don't have the correct permissions on Windows to write to your windows registry, you will notice a long pause after trying to dismiss the Options dialog. Fix is on the way</del> Fixes on 11/21 respin for windows. You should also now see an error dialog about not having write access to the registry.

3) <del>Page Setup / Print View dialog is broken</del>

4) Some users are unable to get or send mail because thunderbird thinks they are offline. If you see this behavior, look in your prefs.js file for (and remove it if it is there): user_pref("network.online", false);

-Scott
Last edited by mscott on November 27th, 2003, 12:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
JSS3rd

Post by JSS3rd »

Looks good so far, but I'd like to see:

1) An option to make "Don't add alternate text" the default in the Image Properties window.

2) Better behavior from the systray's "new mail" icon. At present, if the inbox is already open when a new message arrives and is opened, the icon remains until Tbird is closed. IMHO it should disappear when any new message is opened.

3) A new taskbar button icon for Tbird ... the current one is too easily confused with WinXP's classic folder icon.
Jim
64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, 64-bit PM (Pale Moon) 27.8.2, 64-bit FF 59.0.2, 32-bit TB 52.7.0
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

The new look of the mail notification looks much better!

One question, about the progress meter, i send myself a big mail to check it out, but i didnt see any progress meter? Only saw that i said Receiving 1 mail of 1 (or something like that) in the status bar. No progress bar, am i missing something here?

Also, about the new feature to mark it as read after x seconds, i type it in 1 second, got a mail, it felt like i took 2-3 seconds to mark it read. Got a bit confused, went into the options to check it out, and I saw that it says 1 second, but also I noticed that the checkbox was unchecked (i didnt uncheck it). Is this suppose to be like this?

Thanks
xnb

Post by xnb »

JSS3rd wrote:2) Better behavior from the systray's "new mail" icon. At present, if the inbox is already open when a new message arrives and is opened, the icon remains until Tbird is closed. IMHO it should disappear when any new message is opened.

I can confirm this behaviour. It's annoying.
scragz

Post by scragz »

While the new mail notification does look nice, there is a slight problem. I have my taskbar positioned at the top and it appears at the bottom out of nowhere.
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

@mscott:

The notification in / above the systemtray has a bug. The shown text is like this: "Account-Name 1 has (null) new messages". But it must be: "Account-Name has 1 new message", when receiving 1 message.
Thunderbird Mail DE: http://www.thunderbird-mail.de
Enigmail OpenPGP [de]: http://enigmail.thunderbird-mail.de/
uggi

Post by uggi »

Jeria wrote:Only saw that i said Receiving 1 mail of 1 (or something like that) in the status bar. No progress bar, am i missing something here?

I think its in the right side of the status bar, before the "Unread" counter.

Jeria wrote:Also, about the new feature to mark it as read after x seconds, i type it in 1 second, got a mail, it felt like i took 2-3 seconds to mark it read. Got a bit confused, went into the options to check it out, and I saw that it says 1 second, but also I noticed that the checkbox was unchecked (i didnt uncheck it). Is this suppose to be like this?
Thanks

Same thing here. No matter if I check or uncheck the box or set the delay to 0 or 1 or 60 seconds, the mail is always marked read in about 5 seconds.
flospi

Re: 11-19 0.4a Builds Now Available (Win32)

Post by flospi »

mscott wrote:3) Normally, when you view a message, we mark it as read after displaying it. You can now hook this up to a timer such that we only mark the message as read after you have been viewing it for n seconds where n is configurable. To try this out, go to Tools / Options / Advanced / General Settings. I would also like help in looking for any regressions this new feature has caused with our normal mark as read behavior.

Doesn't work for me. No matter what number I enter, a message is marked read after approx. 5 seconds. Even if I uncheck the option.
jschell

Post by jschell »

mscott wrote:3) Normally, when you view a message, we mark it as read after displaying it. You can now hook this up to a timer such that we only mark the message as read after you have been viewing it for n seconds where n is configurable. To try this out, go to Tools / Options / Advanced / General Settings. I would also like help in looking for any regressions this new feature has caused with our normal mark as read behavior.

Am I dreaming or this feature is not available on Linux ?
My personnal build doesn't include this option.

Jérôme
csogilvie

Post by csogilvie »

mscott wrote:4) You can now make Thunderbird your default News client. Tools / Options / General. In addition, I've made a lot of changes to how we register ourselves as a mail and news client with the Windows Registry. In particular, you should now be able to seemlessly change default clients either within thunderbird or through IE's Tools / Options / Programs panel. Of course all of this assumes that you have the right access capabilities for writing into the windows registry. I'll need *LOTS* of help testing this out to make sure I did not regress anything.

What exactly is meant to happen when clicking a news link? I've set thunderbird as default news client, clicked a link ( news://news.mozilla.org/netscape.public.mozilla.general ) and its launched but done nothing special, like connected to news.mozilla.org and the netscape.public.mozilla.general newsgroup which is what I was expecting.
Colin S. Ogilvie
Fimbo

Post by Fimbo »

Nice changes but the New Message icon in the system tray is not going now even after the new mails have been marked as read.
Old Jeria

Post by Old Jeria »

csogilvie wrote:What exactly is meant to happen when clicking a news link? I've set thunderbird as default news client, clicked a link ( news://news.mozilla.org/netscape.public.mozilla.general ) and its launched but done nothing special, like connected to news.mozilla.org and the netscape.public.mozilla.general newsgroup which is what I was expecting.

When i tick the checkbox, shut down Thunderbird, restart, its not ticket anymore.

Also, about the x seconds before marking something as read, how do yo go back to 0 seconds? I unticked the checkbox + remove the number there, still takes 4-5 seconds to mark a mail read...
xnb

Post by xnb »

May someone can confirm?
I've customized three accounts - two of them should check for new messages at startup, but only one does.
peaksys

Post by peaksys »

mscott wrote:4) You can now make Thunderbird your default News client. Tools / Options / General. In addition, I've made a lot of changes to how we register ourselves as a mail and news client with the Windows Registry. In particular, you should now be able to seemlessly change default clients either within thunderbird or through IE's Tools / Options / Programs panel. Of course all of this assumes that you have the right access capabilities for writing into the windows registry. I'll need *LOTS* of help testing this out to make sure I did not regress anything.

What I saw with WinXP -

1. I had previously made Tb my default mail and news client. Every time I started this new build, the 'Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the default mail application' message box appeared. It made no difference whether I said Yes or No, or whether I checked the 'Do not display ...' box, the message box always appeared.

2. In Options, General, the two '... default application ...' checkboxes seemed to have a mind of their own, and the mail one would never retain its setting. The cycle went like this -

(a) Both unchecked, so I checked them both, and clicked Ok to close the dialogue.
(b) Opened the dialogue again, and mail was not checked, so checked it again, and clicked Ok...
(c) Opened the dialogue again, and neither was checked, so back to (a).

3. IE Properties, Programs showed Tb as being the default email and news client.

4. At one point (couldn't reproduce it again), playing with the settings in Tb appeared to have unregistered IE as my default browser.

A temporary fix for the problem was to set OE as the default mail and news client in IE Properties. The 'Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the default mail application' message box appeared once, but saying no and checking the 'Do not display ...' box has stopped it appearing again.
FordP

Post by FordP »

uggi wrote:
Jeria wrote:Also, about the new feature to mark it as read after x seconds, i type it in 1 second, got a mail, it felt like i took 2-3 seconds to mark it read. Got a bit confused, went into the options to check it out, and I saw that it says 1 second, but also I noticed that the checkbox was unchecked (i didnt uncheck it). Is this suppose to be like this?
Thanks

Same thing here. No matter if I check or uncheck the box or set the delay to 0 or 1 or 60 seconds, the mail is always marked read in about 5 seconds.

I can also confirm this above behavior with the new mark as read feature.

Also when I open the preferences dialouge and I try to change anything before I can close the window I have to wait a while then I get a message saying that. "Mozilla could not be set as the default mail application..." Even though I didn't ask to do so. I've surcumvented this annoyance by clicking on and off the default app boxes in the 'General' tab.

I run my WinXP primary user in the 'User' group rather than power user or administrator so I wouldn't have access to the system registry causing this behavior but Thunderbird shouldn't do this without user consent.