Why does Firefox view tables so STUPIDLY??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Kelson

Post by Kelson »

Here's the thing. You're assuming IE is displaying it "right" and Firefox is displaying it "wrong." You need to think of the web like pizza. IE is New York style pizza, with a thin, crispy crust. Firefox is Chicago style pizza, with a thick, chewy crust. Your code is asking for "pizza" when you're thinking "NY pizza." So when IE gives you NY pizza, it's giving you what you expect, and when Firefox gives you Chicago pizza, it seems wrong -- but it's still what you asked for. It's still pizza. Someone else who wants Chicago-style pizza is going to have the opposite reaction.

The trick is to make sure you specify the style of pizza you want.

If your host lets you control CSS, set the rule "border-style: solid" on the table. That should take care of the problem.
Last edited by Kelson on January 15th, 2007, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can Firefox users and Opera fans agree on anything? The Alternative Browser Alliance

Post by Guest »

Well, it works in internet explorer... it shows how i want it to in internet explorer. firefox makesthe borders have ugly shadows. I dont think its a corrupt code that makes this happen if it works perfectly in Iexplore.

How many times it must be said... Firefox is not IE. The cause is in the HTML code. You can't assume that two different programs produce identical output. The HTML table border rendering is not dictated anywhere.

It does not matter if it works in IE. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to change how Firefox renders the tables other than by using CSS. If this neopets does not allow CSS or generates bad code, then that's it. There is nothing you can do. It looks OK in IE, because they tailor their code for IE, not Firefox or anything else.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

carpetrug01, you are missing the point that IE is NOT a standards compliant browser but Firefox is. Just because the code displays "how I want it to" in IE does not mean that the code is properly formatted HTML. It simply means that the code makes IE do what you want.

Running the code you posted above through the HTML validator at www.w3c.org indicates that there are 35 errors in the code, starting with "The DOCTYPE Declaration was not recognized or is missing."
riddik

Post by riddik »

It's a known difference in the way the Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox family and IE render table borders:
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/tables/ ... p_149.html

"Guest" is right, the only way to get table borders to look the same in both IE and FF is to use CSS and the "border-style" attribute. Even then, some of the options won't look *exactly* the same in both browsers, only close). If the site that's hosting your page won't allow CSS, the only think I can think to do is to 0 that border, define a background color and a 2 px cellpadding, then put another 0 bordered table inside the first. Inelegant and bloats your filesize, but should work.

Melissa
carpetrug01

Post by carpetrug01 »

ok well i went to a NY Style pizza parlor, and didn't get NY style pizza. The code shows up how i want it in dreamweaver, where i made it. so that must be the way its supose to be. firefox is scamming me.
Kelson

Post by Kelson »

No, you went to a Chicago style pizza parlor and complained that you didn't get NY style pizza.

Do you actually want help solving the problem, or do you just want a place to complain?
Can Firefox users and Opera fans agree on anything? The Alternative Browser Alliance
Old enrgy21

Post by Old enrgy21 »

I think we're just wasting our time on this one. Bye. :)
carpetrug01

Post by carpetrug01 »

I really did only come here to complain. thats why i let my emotions run through

Post by Guest »

**offensive content deleted - Daifne**

Post by Guest »

I really did only come here to complain. thats why i let my emotions run through

So you never really cared about how yor webpage could have been fixed and instead you wasted our time. There is one word that is globally used for people like you: TROLL.

Do you feel happy now?

Post by Guest »

A web search for "carpetrug01" demonstrates what a xxx this person is.

Post by Guest »

God I'd like to be able to trace down this carpet guy... the Google search was indeed quite revealing. Some people are total and complete xxx on the internet, ruining it for anyone else.

Lock this thread before it gets more out of control.
Old Romin-1

Post by Old Romin-1 »

Had my way, I'd ban ITS' IP...

Jon