stupid question ? GCC vs VC++ builds specificities

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Wingi

stupid question ? GCC vs VC++ builds specificities

Post by Wingi »

Hi everyone,

Basically is there a noticable difference between a build GCC compiled and a VC++ one ?

Apparently, GCC disables the usage of Java & Real player plug ins, so I assume there is advantages in doing so ...

Speed of execution ? Size of file ?
Thanks for your replies ...
Oyo ?
MozJF

Re: stupid question ? GCC vs VC++ builds specificities

Post by MozJF »

Wingi wrote:Hi everyone,

Basically is there a noticable difference between a build GCC compiled and a VC++ one ?

Using free software to build free software ? :)

Apparently, GCC disables the usage of Java & Real player plug ins, so I assume there is advantages in doing so ...

Well, Java is not my cup of tea :)

Well, being able to have more optimizations available, being able to build an athlon XP optimized build on a P4... ;)
MozJF
Wingi

Re: stupid question ? GCC vs VC++ builds specificities

Post by Wingi »

MozJF wrote:
Wingi wrote:Hi everyone,

Using free software to build free software ? :)

Seems good to me :)

MozJF wrote:

Well, Java is not my cup of tea :)

Oh I cannot blame you for that, on the contrary ...

MozJF wrote:

Well, being able to have more optimizations available, being able to build an athlon XP optimized build on a P4... ;)

Ok so GCC advantages are philosophical ones and builders one ...
This is the answer I was looking for ... Thanks a lot (one again ;o)
Oyo ?
sleddog

Post by sleddog »

Builds made with Cygwin and MinGW gcc have a larger disk footprint than ones made with VC++ and do not support certain plugins (as noted). Performance-wise I see no difference... I'm not convinced that architecture optimizations really add much :)

My MinGW gcc builds are available in my signature if you'd like to experiment with one.
sleddog
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

sleddog wrote:Builds made with Cygwin and MinGW gcc have a larger disk footprint than ones made with VC++ and do not support certain plugins (as noted). Performance-wise I see no difference... I'm not convinced that architecture optimizations really add much :)

I started building with gcc for Thunderbird (as Java is not used by mailnews), and I give a chance to Firebird :)

My MinGW gcc builds are available in my signature if you'd like to experiment with one.

I prefer using MSVC++ for the lizard :=)
MozJF
sleddog

Post by sleddog »

MozJF wrote:I prefer using MSVC++ for the lizard :=)

Maybe I'll change when it goes open source :)
sleddog
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

sleddog wrote:
MozJF wrote:I prefer using MSVC++ for the lizard :=)

Maybe I'll change when it goes open source :)

MSVC++ open source ? :)

Well...
MozJF
Anthracks

Post by Anthracks »

Basically, I only use it out of necessity. I have MSVC at "home", which is currently a dorm at school, but in their infinite wisdom the school network admins blocked CVS from working. Whenever I try to update my mozilla sources, it just times out. However, at work I can set a build running in the background while I do my job (and test things out/program during down time ;)) but I don't have MSVC available there so I build under GCC. And I agree that it's very nice to be able to build Mozilla anywhere without the need for expensive proprietary software, although it's a shame GCC builds can't work with Sun's Java
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

They do.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20031103 Firebird/0.7+ (daihard; XFT+GTK2; optimized for P4/SSE)

This was compiled with gcc 3.2.2-5 from Red Hat 8. Anything newer mysteriously breaks Sun's Java SDK version 1.4.2; I am working with daihard to step through his builds and find out where the breakage begins. If necessary I may start occassionally making builds and posting them somewhere (I have a Yahoo! Geocities homepage for my primary Yahoo! Mail account, but it may die from the bandwidth overload).
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Anthracks

Post by Anthracks »

I know that it works under Linux. I was referring to Windows where, in my experience, it does not work. If you could point me to a Sun Java plugin that works with a Windows GCC/MingW build I'd be much obliged though :).
Carson

Sleddogs

Post by Carson »

Sleddog, I'm trying your Nov 18 build, set up nicely via Profile Manager side-by-side w/Aebrahim's Nov 20. On his Nov 20, I disabled Tabbrowser Extensions after it caused a "no XBL binding" failure preventing Firebird from coming up.

Without TB Ext, his works fine. I set up your Nov 18 build this morning and loaded TB Ext (heavy) along with some 40 other extensions. Fantastic! It took the Tabbrowser with no problem at all, and it's working beautifully, fully-loaded.

I've had a ton of miscellaneous problems with Firebird Nightlies (and even FB 7) in November. Yours seems to be the best on my system so far! It's nice and quick to come up, too. (Usually my FBs are extremely slow to come u, although this is my first time using Profile Manager, and I can't help but wonder--there's no way PM itself might be making the browser set up better, is there?) It's really a sweet setup.

Labrador? Same country, different ocean...but, re "sleddog", I had a Siberian husky for 14 years; inseparable, traveled coast to coast together. My best friend forever.
Main box XP32 and XP64, using FF 3.6, K-Meleon, IE8, and OffByOne.
This is a home-built AMD Athlon x2 5600+, 8GB GSkill @ 800, 1.7TB on 4 SATAs, 3 ODD. No gaming; just a workhorse
Others in home Eee 901 with XP32 SP3; also Asus F3T with Vista
sleddog

Post by sleddog »

Good to know its working well for you Carson. Creating a new profile through profile manager is I think a good idea when installing a new build. Something in an old profile could affect the new build and not give it a fair chance to perform properly. After it's up and running OK you can always copy over any custom userprefs or chrome files to the new profile. 40+ extensions? Wow! I use about four :)

I don't plan on making daily builds or anything, just ones for local use. If and when they've proved to work well I'll put them on the website. There's a new Mozilla Suite build in the cooker right now, we'll see how it performs tonight/tomorrow. Perhaps a Firebird build tomorrow.

I'm gonna visit BC someday... In university I had a close friend from Burnaby. Labrador sleddogs are a lighter build than huskies - did you catch my picture? :D Cheers!
sleddog
Carson

Post by Carson »

Sleddog, I'll watch for future FBs from you. Thanks; sure is nice work!
-- Beautiful puppy! Lots of shepard in that one, I think. He looks so young, but I see that beautiful tail and massive coat, so I'll estimate a very healthy, strong six year old! Gorgeous!
-- Burnaby is a 20 minute jaunt on a city bus from here. You'd like to visit, it's pretty. You might miss clean air, clean water, and stars at night! I'd love to see Labrador. (Off topic; I repent.) :-)
Carson

Perhaps a Post Regarding Good Work by Sleddog??

Post by Carson »

Also, Sleddog, I was inclined to post a reference to your Nov 18 build, which continues to work beautifully with my heavy installation, including TB Extensions. I thought it might be protocol not to post that under its own heading unless OK with you, or if you want to do it yourself--so I won't unless you give me the nod.

Anyway, I read in these Forums today (Saturday) that the TB Extension problem will persist until the extension itself (not Firebird) is updated to work with the browser.

People are using Nov 19 builds. I think your Nov 18 (and newer, if/when???) would be of considerable interest.

P.S. - An avatar to go with your name, created from the photo of your puppy???

Thanks again. :-)
Main box XP32 and XP64, using FF 3.6, K-Meleon, IE8, and OffByOne.
This is a home-built AMD Athlon x2 5600+, 8GB GSkill @ 800, 1.7TB on 4 SATAs, 3 ODD. No gaming; just a workhorse
Others in home Eee 901 with XP32 SP3; also Asus F3T with Vista