Download Actions dialog box lists NO ACTIONS; nothing listed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Exerpt:

Where exactly is this field. I have the newsleecher.exe open with exescope,
as an example, and I see numerous fields (i.e. Header, Import, Resource etc.)

------

In WinXP Explorer:

Right Click exe file | Properties | Version | Description...

Using ExeScope:

Open a ** COPY ** of your exe file.

Left pane - "Resource" | "Version" | "1"
Right Lower Pane - "FileDescription" <---- EDIT THIS
Write your changes to your exe file, then close.
I got a warning about unrecognized code at this point (in Azureus.exe),
but it works fine anyway.

ExeScope can be quite useful... enjoy.

Jon
Robb L

Post by Robb L »

This has been frustrating me for some time as well. I understand Jon's explanation - and that helps to relieve it somewhat; at least I know what is happening. But even if it is by design, it is still annoying. If it is by design the "Do this automatically from now on" checkbox is misleading, as this is not what FF will do, if it is not by design, it's a rather annoying bug. By design or not - a way to turn it off would really be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

but what if you can't even see the Download Actions dialog box? The Download dialog box is cut off just below the "Download Actions" title. How do I fix this?
robert h

Post by robert h »

Just another piece of data for everyone...

I reformatted HD, reinstalled XP, applied SP2 and installed FF 1.5 from scratch. Same problem.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Anonymous wrote:but what if you can't even see the Download Actions dialog box? The Download dialog box is cut off just below the "Download Actions" title. How do I fix this?
Default Firefox theme? Some user installed themes are known for not properly displaying the Options dialog windows completely.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Post by Guest »

the-edmeister wrote:
Anonymous wrote:but what if you can't even see the Download Actions dialog box? The Download dialog box is cut off just below the "Download Actions" title. How do I fix this?
Default Firefox theme? Some user installed themes are known for not properly displaying the Options dialog windows completely.

Ed
I'm using the default theme and have never changed it. Any other suggestions?
go2self

Post by go2self »

I have a similar problem when trying to run web based powerpoint or excel files after upgradig to Firefox 1.5. A blank window opens and the Download Action dialog box does NOT appear.

Temporary fix is to run Firefox in the safe mode. Then the Download Action dialog box appears and I am able to view or download.

Anybody out there with a real fix or solution??
Shiraz Dindar

Post by Shiraz Dindar »

thanks guys
guestdk

Post by guestdk »

I still have this problem with FF2.0 :-/
6CM5

Download actions dialog box lists no actions; nothing listed

Post by 6CM5 »

I upgraded to FF 2.0 and now I have this problem. When I try to download a pdf file, I just get a blank page. I note that most of the above advice was for Firefox 1.5. Is it applicable to 2.0?

By the way, how does one run Firefox in safe mode?

Any advice would be most welcome at this point.

George
Alice

Post by Alice »

6CM5 wrote:I upgraded to FF 2.0 and now I have this problem. When I try to download a pdf file, I just get a blank page. I note that most of the above advice was for Firefox 1.5. Is it applicable to 2.0?

By the way, how does one run Firefox in safe mode?

You didn't really make clear whether downloading PDF files was your only problem after upgrading to Firefox 2. Some people report various problems after installing Firefox 2 over an earlier version. See the forum thread, "Firefox 2.0 is Released" (it used to be a "sticky") for details. (If you need to reinstall Firefox 2, see the article Installing Firefox)

The Standard diagnostic - Firefox KB article has information on other problems that can occur, such as extension and theme issues after an upgrade. It includes a link to the Safe Mode KB article. Safe Mode will rule out extension and theme issues as well as a corrupt localstore.rdf file, by starting Firefox with the default theme and all extensions disabled and uses a "localstore-safe.rdf" file which will display the default toolbars and controls instead of your customized settings.

The KB article, Changing media handling behaviour has more information specific to the Download Actions window, including the new Firefox 2 menu options for opening the list of actions. If you have other file opening or download issues besides PDF file downloads and the advice here doesn't help, you could check the information linked in the Issues with Firefox KB article under Downloading opening or saving files.

If your ONLY problem relates to PDF files, the Adobe Reader KB article links to this Adobe document, but I don't see why the problem would have started with Firefox 2.

PDF pages don't appear in web browser window (Acrobat 7.0 and 3D, Adobe Reader 7.0)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328233.html

If you need more help specifically with PDF files you probably should start a new topic.
Alice Wyman
ejp

Post by ejp »

Thanks a million for the 'mimetypes.rdf' info Alice.
Search is a wonderful thing!
Alice

Post by Alice »

ejp wrote:Thanks a million for the 'mimetypes.rdf' info Alice.
Search is a wonderful thing!
You're welcome :)

For the record, at least one possible cause of the blank Download Actions list, bug 308204, null description in helper version info leaves Download Actions blank, has been fixed in Firefox 2 so anyone still having this problem even after deleting or renaming the mimeTypes.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder should upgrade to Firefox 2.

P.S. to 6CM5:
I probably should have made it clearer that your issue with PDF files opening a blank page in the browser is entirely different from the topic discussed here, a blank Downloads Actions listing.

Download Actions dialog box lists NO ACTIONS; nothing listed

Post by Guest »

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1 for Mac. When I try to download a file, Firefox displays a dialogue box asking if I want to download the file, but the file does not download and nothing appears in the download window. I followed the advice in this thread and others; delete various files (mimetypes.rdf0, start in safe mode, etc. Nothing helped, so I started deleting files in the Profile Folder one at a time. It turned out to be the prefs.js file.

Chris
Alice

Re: Download Actions dialog box lists NO ACTIONS; nothing li

Post by Alice »

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1 for Mac. When I try to download a file, Firefox displays a dialogue box asking if I want to download the file, but the file does not download and nothing appears in the download window. I followed the advice in this thread and others; delete various files (mimetypes.rdf0, start in safe mode, etc. Nothing helped, so I started deleting files in the Profile Folder one at a time. It turned out to be the prefs.js file.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Your post about the prefs.js file was very helpful.

I just discovered that I had lost the ability to right-click an image or link and select "save image as" or "save link as" in Firefox 2, or to use "File - > Save page as" to save a web page. Nothing happened at all when I tried saving different images, files or web pages this way. The usual fix for download problems, deleting the "downloads.rdf file", didn't help.

Your post made me think to check my download preferences. The prefs.js file holds preference settings, some of which determine what Firefox will do when you download a file, including which download folder Firefox uses. I had tried resetting them in the Options window (Tools ->Options -> Main / Downloads -> " Save files to... " and "Always ask me where to save files") but it wasn't working.

Saving worked fine in a new Firefox 2 profile but when I copied the prefs.js file from the old to the new profile, it transferred over the problem. I was able to fix the problem by resetting browser.download.folderList (it was set at 2 - last folder specified for a download) to the default "0" value (desktop). As soon as I reset the value, I was able to save files again.

Here are the preferences that I know are related to the folder Firefox uses for downloads. All of these can be reset in about:config

browser.download.folderList
browser.download.dir
browser.download.downloadDir
browser.download.lastDir
browser.download.useDownloadDir

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/About&#058;config_entries#Browser..2A for more on these settings.