Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Feedback Thread

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mscott

Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Feedback Thread

Post by mscott »

Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 is Now Available!

Builds can be found here:
<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/all-beta.html">Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Builds</a>.

Beta 2 is offered in over 30 languages.

en-US beta 1 users will receive beta 2 via automatic software update.

<b>Major Feature Areas</b>
<li>Message Tags
<li>Folder Views
<li>Visual Identity Improvements
<li>New Mail Notification Alert Improvements
<li>Session History Navigation (back / forwards)
<li>Easy Account Setup for gmail and .Mac accounts
<li>Find As You Type in the message pane
<li>Automatic detection of online state (Thunderbird can automatically move you to offline mode when you lose net connectivity)

<b>Additional Areas</b>
<li>New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
<li>Updates to the extension system
<li>New combined and improved Add-ons manager for extensions and themes
<li>Preference dialog redesign
<li>Remote image policy changes
<li>Support for editing tags
<li>Ability to customize the fields we show in the new mail alert notification
<li>Recent folder menus for Copying and Moving messages.
<li>Two pane view using a folder location picker toolbar widget.
<li>Universal Binaries for Mac OS X builds.

<b>Extension Platform Improvements</b>
<li>Extensions can now add custom columns to the thread pane and store custom fields in the mail database.

<a href="http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumblingedge/archives/2007/01/2-0beta2.html">The Rumbling Edge</a> has a complete list of the bug fixes that went into beta 2.

Thanks for all the great feedback we got on the beta 1 thread. We fixed a lot (but not all!) of the issues we got feedback on from the beta 1 thread. We'll continue to try to address those and new issues found in beta 2 before the final release.

-Team Thunderbird
Last edited by mscott on April 6th, 2007, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
rodness

Post by rodness »

Are there any plans to make the new mail notifications work on the Mac? (e.g. preferably with Growl)
CTAC

Mac OS X Address book integration?

Post by CTAC »

Any plans for the Mac OS X Address Book integration for this release? If yes -- should we expect it implemented before the final build?
rosbif73

Post by rosbif73 »

Nice to see the "back" and "forward" function, but is there any way to use this with the back and forward buttons on a 5-button mouse? (I know I can change the button binding in the mouse driver, but it would be nice if this worked by default).

Also, if the "back" function moves to another folder and the view is set to unread messages or unread threads, the message we've moved back to isn't displayed. Is this intentional? It certainly isn't intuitive...

I can't quickly find bugzilla bugs requesting these functions... If anyone can point me to relevant bugs so much the better, if not I'll file them.
Dennis Henderson

Post by Dennis Henderson »

Speaking of bugs, was one ever filed for the problem I mentioned in December? It's even worst than I thought at that time but all I ever get out of searching Bugzilla is a headache. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 47#2640047
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

Transition from b1 to b2 worked smoothly.

I did not experience any problems with the dictionaries as mentioned in another post. (I use 4 on constant basis and the extension "Dictionary Switcher" didn't need update and works fine also).

The problem I experienced in the options menu (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 12&start=0) has disappeared in this TB2.0b2

Congratulations for the fine job.

Regarding extensions, I want to use this forum to ask developers to update them please. There are still some extensions that have not been updated to TB 2.0 (Enigmail, Duplicate Contact Manager, Event to task activator), and some that were available in TB b1, but need update for b2 (Autozip, Extension Manager Extended; Extension List Dumper; Lightning Multiweek View; Signature Switch)

The only really important missing thing now is further development of lightning calendar and its integration with Thunderbird

Again, thanks for providing such an excellent tool.

Al_H
flaimo

colors and tags

Post by flaimo »

seems like there is a little problem when displaying the colors of tags:

1) click the "tag" button and then "new tag..."
2) name the new tag "X" and DON'T choose a color. click "OK"
3) create another tag "Y", again without choosing a color
4) create another tag "Z", but this time choose a color
5) click the "tag" button again. "X" and "Y" inherit the color choosen for "Z"

i think this is a bug. when not choosing a color, the text should be black and the background white.

edit: filled a bug
Last edited by flaimo on January 27th, 2007, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mscha

Post by mscha »

I reported a couple of IMAP folder delete bugs (357911, 357915) last October, but they apparently haven't even been looked at...
I marked them as "blocking-thunderbird2?", but that hasn't helped. Any other suggestions?

- Michael
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

Beta 2 randomly stalls on viewing messages on both NewsGroups and Email. IT happenend in TB1.5 and its even worse in TB2.0b2.
johann_p

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Feedback Thread

Post by johann_p »

mscott wrote:Extensions can now add custom columns to the thread pane and store custom fields in the mail database.

Is there some documentation about this somewhere?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
mistermartin75

Post by mistermartin75 »

Omega X wrote:Beta 2 randomly stalls on viewing messages on both NewsGroups and Email. IT happenend in TB1.5 and its even worse in TB2.0b2.

I believe this is a problem on your end, as I have never experienced such problems and have not seen many reports of such problems. What kind of Mac do you have?
Do it right, abide by W3C guidelines!
e-mail: mistermartin75 at gmail dot com
mistermartin75 at http://www.mistermartin75.net and http://www.gnummep.co.uk
morbus

Post by morbus »

The new white mail header pane thing is hideous. Blends right into the body view.

How do I theme it back?
coronal

Collapseable To: list in preview pane?

Post by coronal »

The ability to collapse the display of a large number of recipients in the To: or Cc: lists in the message preview pane by clicking on the little + icon seems to have been lost in TB 2.0B2. I don't know if this is a brand new bug or if it's been around for a while. I regularly receive messages where I'm one of hundreds of individual addresses, and it means I can't preview the message body.

Any ideas gratefully received...
ccc1005

Auto Update

Post by ccc1005 »

When should I expect the auto update? I am not running as admin (corporate network), so will I even be able to get the update? Thanks.

Also I have selected to see the alert window, but all I see when I get new mail is the little icon next to the time. Any idea why?
Sean_P

Post by Sean_P »

Message tags don't survive a move across IMAP folders.

All my messages are stored on an IMAP server, and I wanted to try the new tagging feature to set up an archive system like gmail, so I tagged some messages in a couple of small folders with a new tag corresponding to the folder name, and verified that I saw the tag in the header display when viewing an individual message. I then moved the messages to a newly created "archive" folder on the same IMAP server, but when I look at the messages they now show no tags. Is this an expected behavior?

I realize that the tags are likely to be stored on the local machine and not the IMAP server, and I'm ok with that, but I would have expected the tags to follow the message at least on the same machine. I have not tried to replicate this using local folders.