No XBL Binding After Attempting Tabbrowser Extension Install

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Carson

No XBL Binding After Attempting Tabbrowser Extension Install

Post by Carson »

Tabbrowser Extension: is there still any kind of problem with Tabbrowser? I was completing an install of Aebrahim's Nov 20 Win32, all going well. I'd installed a lot of extensions.

I was doing these installs just one or two at a time, between exiting the browser and calling it up again. (Maybe someone can tell me whether this is necessary. When I'm being really careful, I do it this way. Instead of installing a whole bunch of extensions in a single browser session, I exit after pretty well each extension install, and then immediately bring FB back up again for the next one.)

Everything just swell. I brought Firebird back up, installed Tabbrowser Extension ONLY, and exited again. Right away I called the browser back up again--but no go. I got a box with:

"Error launching. No XBL binding to browser."

Honestly, guys, I wouldn't know an XBL if one hit me with a dead fish. But I was horrified to hear I'd lost my bindings. I'm 57, and I've always worried that would happen one day.

Tried to get Firebird up five times. There was no future in it.

Dismayed, I pulled out my .38 and--oh, but just then, in came Angela, who murmered in dulcet tones: "I think, Baby, you should kill your Tabbrowser Extension files instead. There are two of 'em hiding out in Docs&Settings/Phoenix."

Went there, did that. With Tabbrowser offed, tried Firebird, up it came, sun came out, flowers bloomed, married Angela and had 16 kids.

Well, heck, sometimes you've gotta put a bit of PIZZAZ into your geeky problems. Besides, I was perfectly mentally stable before fooling around so much with browsers. So, does anybody know what this was all about, and--should I try Tabbrowser Extension again, like some woman you love but who does you wrong?

Thanks, guys. :-)
Main box XP32 and XP64, using FF 3.6, K-Meleon, IE8, and OffByOne.
This is a home-built AMD Athlon x2 5600+, 8GB GSkill @ 800, 1.7TB on 4 SATAs, 3 ODD. No gaming; just a workhorse
Others in home Eee 901 with XP32 SP3; also Asus F3T with Vista
frease

Post by frease »

There's a post with a similar problem:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=35097
Carson

Post by Carson »

Frease, thanks a lot for that. Anyone else reading this: Let's not continue this thread; situation is known and being dealt with.
wolovids

XBL binding

Post by wolovids »

I was also getting that XBL binding error on startup with the Nov20-21 GTK2/XFT Linux builds WITH a clean profile. Once I installed the TBE, the error message started popping up. I went back to the Nov 14 build and all was fine.
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

The reason for that is because they switched widgets back to bindings :-/
bengoodger

Re: No XBL Binding After Attempting Tabbrowser Extension Ins

Post by bengoodger »

Carson wrote:Everything just swell. I brought Firebird back up, installed Tabbrowser Extension ONLY, and exited again. Right away I called the browser back up again--but no go. I got a box with:

"Error launching. No XBL binding to browser."

The Firebird dev team recommends avoiding using TBE. Your best bet if you have to use it is to determine what builds TBE supports and then obtain that version of Firebird.
John Liebson

Re: No XBL Binding After Attempting Tabbrowser Extension Ins

Post by John Liebson »

bengoodger wrote:The Firebird dev team recommends avoiding using TBE. Your best bet if you have to use it is to determine what builds TBE supports and then obtain that version of Firebird.

There is a patched TBE, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=36362

I got a reply from a user a few minutes ago informing me that this unofficial TBE works fine with latest nightlies.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Thanks, John. That will make a big difference for me! :-)
Jobarr

Post by Jobarr »

Legoguy wrote:The reason for that is because they switched widgets back to bindings :-/

Why the hell did they do that?
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

Apparently they realized it needed to be bindings - post is a sticky in the Themes forum.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Can someone translate Japanese for me?
http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/latest/2003/11.html#d26
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
interwoven

no XBL to browser error after loading TBE

Post by interwoven »

If someone who has successfully fixed this problem could communicate to me in simple lay terms (i.e., I know just enough to get myself stuck . . . as I just did when I downloaded the Tabbed Browser addin to Mozilla Suite) I could get past this error and get back to doing what I love to do. Thanks.