Binaries for RedHat 6.x?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
daveewart

Binaries for RedHat 6.x?

Post by daveewart »

Does anyone have a binary for Phoenix 0.5 that will run on a RedHat 6.2 based system?

I don't have the bandwidth, realistically, to get all the source code and compile it myself.

Can anyone help out here?

Thanks,

Dave.
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Binaries for RedHat 6.x?

Post by daihard »

daveewart wrote:Does anyone have a binary for Phoenix 0.5 that will run on a RedHat 6.2 based system?

I don't have the bandwidth, realistically, to get all the source code and compile it myself.

I take it you tried the standard Linux binary and couldn't get it to run on RH 6.2?
daveewart

Post by daveewart »

Yes, the Linux binary is clearly compiled against a newer C library (or something) - the error was that it could not find the correct version of libstcd++.so
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Just out of interest, why are you using an aniquated version of a Linux dist?
Isn't it time to upgrade?
djst

Post by djst »

Stefan wrote:Just out of interest, why are you using an aniquated version of a Linux dist?
Isn't it time to upgrade?

Maybe because of the limited bandwidth? ;)
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

"Just out of interest, why are you using an aniquated version of a Linux dist?
Isn't it time to upgrade?"

Its not uncommon to see people still running Redhat 6.2, especially on servers. Linux isn't like windows as far as upgrading goes, there are a lot of linux desktop users using older versions of Redhat and Debian. Also and this would probably be a valid concern, any of the newer distros would probably lag badly on his machine since I'm assuming its an older one. Lastly if something works why upgrade?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

daveewart wrote:Yes, the Linux binary is clearly compiled against a newer C library (or something) - the error was that it could not find the correct version of libstcd++.so

I wonder if it's possible to install a newer version of libc (i.e. libc6) onto RH 6.2 without affecting its other components? I wish I could compile Phoenix for you, but I don't have an older version of RedHat available nearby. :(
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

mesostinky wrote:Its not uncommon to see people still running Redhat 6.2, especially on servers.

I'd hate to be the admin on a RH 6 server trying to plug all the security holes.
Both performance wise as well as security wise upgrading (preferably to another dist) would be a nobrainer to me :)

Linux isn't like windows as far as upgrading goes, there are a lot of linux desktop users using older versions of Redhat and Debian.

A lot of people use win 95-98 too.

Also and this would probably be a valid concern, any of the newer distros would probably lag badly on his machine since I'm assuming its an older one.

Um, how much CPU a dist requires depends mostly on how much bloat you add. If you instsist on adding all the extra crap you don't need even if you have a slow CPU, of cource it will be slow. But that is a user error, not an old vs new dist related problem.

Lastly if something works why upgrade?

Ummm, but it doesn't work, now does it... that why he posted in the first place...
daveewart

Post by daveewart »

Well, thanks for the comments, but it doesn't sound like anyone actually has a RH6-compatible build. I don't think there's a simple way to update the C libraries without messing up everything else ... a colleague has just got hold of the latest mozilla source tree, so I'll have a go compiling Phoenix from that.

How to go from "Anyone got RH6.2 builds?" to "Does anyone _else_ want these RH6.2 builds" in a couple of days ... !
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

"I'd hate to be the admin on a RH 6 server trying to plug all the security holes."

Nah, its no different than maintaining an RH 8.0 server or any other OS. All distros have security holes, being that RH 6.2 is older doesn't have any impact on things. Redhat still provides support and updates for 6.2 and things like Apt4rpm making keeping up to date Moron proof.

"Both performance wise as well as security wise upgrading (preferably to another dist) would be a nobrainer to me"

Probably but it would depend on what apps you run. Again security isn't an a concern since the updates are available.

I'm just pointing this out because it doesn't seem like you too familiar with linux or at least RH linux in particular. I'm not trying to argue :)