[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Meisenkaiser

Session Saver vs. Firefox 2

Post by Meisenkaiser »

beermatt wrote:To answer your second point first, FF2 now has built in:-
  • The ability to restore the last session from when Firefox was closed (Menu Tools -> Options, Main tab, set "When Firefox starts:" to "Show my windows and tabs from last time")
  • Re-open closed tabs (menu History -> Recently Closed Tabs, similar to Tools -> Snapback Tab of SessionSaver)
  • Bookmark all tabs (menu Bookmarks -> Bookmark all tabs) to save addresses of all open tabs to a bookmark folder
What it doesn't contain is the ability to save & restore a session on demand (Tools -> SessionSaver -> Save this window) and equivalent restore.

I found that FF2 has built in "session saver" as I used it: I do NOT restore last session on statup, just only in case of a crash. That means I set session saver to store a session on close but not restore on start of FF. If you crash FF2 it asks you on restart to restore last session or not. Say: "yes" and you are done. This is exactly how I used session saver in the past. The only difference is you can not restore last session manually like in session saver. For this porpuse, you must safe all open tabs in a new bookmarks folder.
I found the new feature of FF conflicting with session saver, means if I select "new session" after crash of FF the session saver will not work properly. A new clean session will be started instead.
If anyone has a solution to stop the "built in session safer" of FF2 please let us know. Then we can go back to beloved session saver.

Greets from Berlin
(btw this was my first participation in any forum at all)
Skygod

Post by Skygod »

FF just updated itself to 2.0.0.1 and SS .2 0.2.1.031 isn't compatible. Is there a current version that is?
bugs_bunny_61

Post by bugs_bunny_61 »

I've installed and tried both fixes (one at a time), sessionsaver_.2-ff2.xpi and sessionsaver_.2-0.2.1.031-fx+mz.W-patch.xpi, in FF2.0.0.1 and I ran into some problems:

- after I save a window, it doesn't show in SessionSaver menu until I open a new browser or restart it;
- after I Shift+LeftMouseClick on a saved window and delete it, the window is still in the menu until I open a new browser or restart it;
- after I open a saved window, I try to Shift+LeftMouseClick to delete the same window - deletion doesn't work;
- after I Shift+LeftMouseClick to delete a saved window, I cancel deletion and then I try to open the window - the window won't open;

I used SessionSaver a lot in FF1.5 and I don't remember having these problems. Am I doing something wrong?
jahvascriptmaniac

Post by jahvascriptmaniac »

Hi, I'll also add something :
ftp saving/restoring doesn't seem to work either.

By the way, d'you know a similar extension that saves _all_personnal_data_ to a file on an ftp server ?
(I'm living on a liveCD, and it can't save personnal data to my USB key, so...)

Your ext seems nice, but the look & feel is ugly, however I think it's mainly to do with ff2 incompatibility, so keep up the good work :)
jahvascriptmaniac -at- gmail.dot.com
jahvascriptmaniac

I think I ought to precise two things :
1) I'm using it with a clean freshly-downloaded firefox 2.0.0.1
2) Th uglyness I was talking about is the weird greyish buttons and the purple drop-downs that keep flicking.
Firefox2

Post by Firefox2 »

How can I recover my saved sessions from SS with Firefox 1.5 after upgrading to FF2?

I recently upgraded to FF2. I now have no Session Saver extension and do not know how to recover saved sessions, windows, or window contents. There is information in the saved sessions that I wish to recover; how can I do that?
From reading the above it is not clear if I should install the latest SS build, wait, or do not attempt to use it with FF2.

thanks
jahvascriptmaniac

Well in my opinion, you should try to install the ff2-ready version (look a few pages before) and hope it works (tm)
But first make a backup of your firefox pernonnal directory (~/.mozilla/ uner linux, or ~/Application Data/.../firefox/ under windows)
singpolyma

FTP Synch

Post by singpolyma »

I and some of my contacts want a Firefox extension that syncs the session to the internet somewhere (FTP is fine) and then can restore. This extension seems to save to FTP fine, but restoring is not working. It would be great if we could get this working... I'm not really experienced enough in Firefox programming to understand all this code I'm reading.

Also, restoring a session seems to hide my bookmarks bar... that may be because of a bug it triggers in the operator extension though.
Falastur

Post by Falastur »

I'm using beermatt's fix for SS2 for FF2, and while it runs great, there is just one problem - when FF is opened from clicking a link outside of it (i.e. if you are given a link in MSN, or as I just experienced now, running a program which updates itself and takes you to a webpage listing its new features) FF seems to disable SS2, even remove it from the system. This can be fixed fairly easily, by redownloading the fix, and thanks to the wonder that is Sessionsaver, none of my previous tabs are lost. However, after several months, it's sure getting annoying to keep having to do this. Is there any fix which does not deactivate like this?

I could just switch to the inbuilt sessionsaver, but my initial reactions to it weren't brilliant, as a few people have noted from their own experience...it's a couple of months now since FF2 downloaded and I tried the inbuilt SS, so I can't remember specifics, but I just remember it not saving all my pages properly when FF closed properly/crashed, or something like that, hence I have stuck with this sessionsaver. However, I haven't toyed around with all the options because I have a number of tabs saved, plus page histories, that I really don't want to lose, and I'm a little fearful that FF2's sessionsaver will lose them if I choose the wrong option. If someone could instruct me into how to use the inbuilt to solve my problem, that would be equally helpful to me, and negate the need for a fix to the previous SessionSaver. Incase you might be wondering, I am looking for a SessionSaver to do the whole sh-bang - remember all of my tabs AND their histories every time Firefox closes, whether on purpose or by crash, and preferably without having to save the tabs every time before I shut down FF (something which I will undoubtably forget to do regularly in the first few days and weeks, hence my concern).

If anyone could give me some advise, or link me to a fix which sorts my problem, I would be very appreciative.
Skip_

SessionSaver is better than FF2 saver

Post by Skip_ »

A big difference that I noticed with SessionSaver and FF1.5 from the built-in FF2 session stuff is that SS actually includes history! It isn't just a bunch of bookmarks. This is functionality that I'm not willing to give up, so for now I'm sticking with FF1.5+SS.

Thanks for a great plugin, and hopefully it's better features can be ported to FF2.
old zeniko

Re: SessionSaver is better than FF2 saver

Post by old zeniko »

Skip_ wrote:A big difference that I noticed with SessionSaver and FF1.5 from the built-in FF2 session stuff is that SS actually includes history!

In that case you either noticed wrong or you've got yourself a misconfigured Firefox 2.0 (or an otherwise undiscovered bug). Firefox 2.0's built-in session restoring component saves almost everything SessionSaver .2d saves (non-text form data being the exception) and even some more stuff. In fact, it was an unofficial goal to at least match and if possible even surpass SessionSaver in regard to crash recovering/session resuming/tab recovering when the code was first written.

In case you find bugs in Firefox 2.0's code, please report them either in BugZilla (product: Firefox, component: Session Restore) or should you prefer in the Session Manager feedback thread (Session Manager is the UI equivalent of SessionSaver .2d which uses the core code provided by Firefox 2.0 and is thus affected by all its bugs). Opposed to this extension, those two projects are still being actively maintained... ;)
rth

Post by rth »

I'm using it in SM1.1 and it seems like SS.2d won't restore sessions. When I click on default or previous save, it deletes that item as if I'm right-clicking (or middle clicking or shift clicking or whatever). I reinstalled the extension, same deal. Not sure if it's me or not...
wormey

Post by wormey »

rth wrote:I'm using it in SM1.1 and it seems like SS.2d won't restore sessions. When I click on default or previous save, it deletes that item as if I'm right-clicking (or middle clicking or shift clicking or whatever). I reinstalled the extension, same deal. Not sure if it's me or not...

Also in SM1.1, similar behavior. When I left click on a previous session to restore it, I get asked if I want to delete it.
The other extensions I have installed are adblock, flashblock, googlebar, bugmenot and prefbar.

Edit: I found beermat's 28 Oct. post where he had hacked a workaround for the problem and applied the same hack. Now I can recall saved sessions. I guess that what is really needed is to determine just what code seamonkey sends for left click and fix it properly...
gsl

Why does restoring a sesson close all open ffox windows

Post by gsl »

Hello!
Thanks for the very fine tool. Only it is of limited use to me because every time I restore a saved session all previously opened Firefox windows are closed. Is there a workaround to that behavior please?
Thanks,
Michael.
beermatt

Re: Why does restoring a sesson close all open ffox windows

Post by beermatt »

gsl wrote:Only it is of limited use to me because every time I restore a saved session all previously opened Firefox windows are closed. Is there a workaround to that behavior please?

Have a look at Tools -> SessionSaver -> Settings..., if set to Simple settings click to show Expert settings.
On this window there is a setting for "When restoring a saved session, it's OK to clear away".. "Existing Windows", and "And Tabs" - make sure both of these are not set.. :?: