New Toolkit API change

Discuss application theming and theme development.
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

I wish this change would be made at milestone releases instead. I don't want to keep two skin versions on my site: Milestone and Nightly - I doubt I will this time. It's not much trouble when someone has a few themes to maintain, but it's a nightmare with 30 or more themes.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Aah... I built Firebird on today's source and ran into this problem. Backpedalling to "bindings" huh? Well, at least we know how to get the themes to work again.

Thanks, lynchknot, for bringing me here. :)

[EDIT] I made the suggested changes to one of the themes and was able to get it working. However, as I choose the new theme in the Tools/Options dialogue and hit OK, the dialogue box won't close. If I hit cancel after OK and reopen Firebird, the new theme does show up fine. Has anyone seen this?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
James

Post by James »

lynchknot wrote:I wish this change would be made at milestone releases instead. I don't want to keep two skin versions on my site: Milestone and Nightly - I doubt I will this time. It's not much trouble when someone has a few themes to maintain, but it's a nightmare with 30 or more themes.

Well in case you decide to only update a few themes, could Mercnvert be one of them. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

I was trying out aebrahim's Nov.20 and I thought ... oh boy, what got changed this time to break mercnvert, as the scrollbars were missing in window and customize window.
Sailfish

Re: New Toolkit API change

Post by Sailfish »

pch wrote:I just changed the references from chrome://global/content/widgets to chrome://global/content/bindings.

You should update your themes accordingly. Aheum... I apologize because that's something we should have done before.
Files affected are:
- scrollbar.css
- global.css
- globalBindings.xml
- browser.xml

Also, the page setup files have been moved from the communicator directory to the toolkit.

Hopefully, the last big change that will give you some pain is the moving of the profile stuff to the toolkit. It should occur in the 0.8 development stage. After 0.9, we will stabilize for 1.0. I'll keep you informed about the themes changes.

Sorry for the breakage, but we will soon be much lighter when we'll not ship the communicator files.

pch, would it be possible to add something unique to the default UA string in the next nightly, say, 0.7a+ for the version?

Having this would make it easier for the theme site to do the proper browser-sniffing.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

Pardon me for jumping into the conversation, but are any of the theme developers here familiar with the Java build tool called Ant?

If you are, and either have it on your system or would be willing to install it, I'll be more than happy to write up some Ant scripts that would make it easy to take apart a theme JAR, alter the correct files appropriately, and put it back together. It's easy for me to do now that I've mod'ed a couple by hand, and I offer it until a more permanent solution is found.
Lighten up, Francis
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Someone gave me this cool bash (?) line that turns "anonymous@cvs-mirror" to "jruderman%hmc.edu@cvs" in all files named Root:

perl -e 's/anonymous\@cvs-mirror/jruderman%hmc.edu\@cvs/' -pi.bak `find . -name Root`

(I think that creates .bak files, which you might not want.)

You could probably update skins with a 3-line or 4-line bash script: unzip the jar, make the change, rezip the jar.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

That'll work too, Jesse. I just like Ant scripts because they'll run anywhere Java will run, and you don't have to worry if bash is available or not.
Lighten up, Francis
pch

Post by pch »

Sailfish wrote:pch, would it be possible to add something unique to the default UA string in the next nightly, say, 0.7a+ for the version?

themes and extensions should deal with milestones, imo. Nightlies are for testing purpose, and at user' risks.

However, if you still want, you can discrimate the day of nightlies by filtering the UA string.
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

pch wrote:However, if you still want, you can discrimate the day of nightlies by filtering the UA string.

Yes, I knew that. It's just that doing so takes a bit more server cycles and makes the sniffer code a bit more convoluted, which I was hoping to avoid.
Jeff_pony

Post by Jeff_pony »

I am guessing this applies to thunderbird as well?
Please PM the mod team when you see a rule infraction
Life State:: McLovin it
Camino v2.1 (pre)
RickFriedman

Post by RickFriedman »

Jeff_pony wrote:I am guessing this applies to thunderbird as well?

Good question!

I'm using the latest "nightly" of Thunderbird. I believe it was posted yesterday. It seems as though everything works properly!

I'm confused.

Rick
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060911 SUSE/1.5.0.7-1.5 Firefox/1.5.0.7
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

RickFriedman wrote:
Jeff_pony wrote:I am guessing this applies to thunderbird as well?

Good question!

I'm using the latest "nightly" of Thunderbird. I believe it was posted yesterday. It seems as though everything works properly!

I'm confused.

The latest T-bird build was 11-19 and this change took effect on 11-20 so Jeff (others), this change will effect all of the *birds, as well.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
naylor83

Post by naylor83 »

pch wrote:
Also, the page setup files have been moved from the communicator directory to the toolkit.

What is the toolkit? (I'm new with themes, don't all laugh at once... ;-) ) Are you refering to the communicator directory in the skin folder?

pch wrote:Sorry for the breakage, but we will soon be much lighter when we'll not ship the communicator files.

This sounds like good news.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

naylor83 wrote:
pch wrote:Also, the page setup files have been moved from the communicator directory to the toolkit.

What is the toolkit?

in the cvs tree, its mozilla/toolkit
It is part of the code that was forked. The only change you need to make is widgets to bindings.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files