locate link browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sajit63

locate link browser

Post by Sajit63 »

When I click on a link, Firefox opens a dialog box, as to whether I want to restore the previous session or open a new one. Another file open dialog box asking for an *.exe file with a messsage 'locate link browser' on the title bar also pops up. If I click on the 'restore session' then I can cancel this 'locate link browser' window. I don't want this to appear. How do I stop this?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

This is a very old bug. What version are you running? The bug thread (very long) lists a manual solution in Comment #6. However, that should no longer be necessary. You also could look at this thread from 2004 (has pictures!): 'Locate Link Browser' message in Outlook @ Woody's Lounge.

I have the same bug

Post by Guest »

It may be old but I ran the update today to version 2.0.0.2 and every time I click a link in another application (e.g. an email in outlook) I get the site I'm looking for as well as a window headed "Locate LInk Browser" that shows my 'my documents".

Apparently this bug has been reintroduced. I hesitate to use the fix for version beta 0.9 since the product has substantially evolved since then. How about a current fix?
ImSeeker

Yep - it's back.

Post by ImSeeker »

I agree - I allowed the 2.0.0.2 upgrade on two computers and the locate link browser issue now appears on both machines.

Will the old fix work? Wonder what made this come back?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Yes, the workaround still works. It repairs a problem with the installation that doesn't seem to occur on all systems. The installation leaves a mixture of IE's DDE settings and Firefox's DDE settings. Since Firefox was already the default browser, I can't understand how the IE settings got back in there. But anyway, this is how to go about fixing it manually.

In Windows 2000/XP:
  • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open Tools>Folder Options..., File Types tab
  • Scroll down to (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it
  • Click Advanced and then, with open selected, click Edit
  • Clear the checkbox for "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part)
  • Click OK for that dialog and the next one. Windows will update the registry.
  • Repeat for the HTTPS protocol (next in list) and/or Close when you are done

For the pictorially oriented, here's a side-by-side screen shot of the settings:

Post by Guest »

That appears to have worked, btw - I have now updated on 4 machines and all exhibited the same problem.

Locate Link Browser

Post by Guest »

I'm going nuts with the "Locate Link Browser" message in Outlook. :evil:

I tried following you instructions, but when I click on "Edit" in the "Edit File Type" screen, nothing happens. I tried disabling Adblock to see if that would help, but I still can't get to the editing screen.

Any suggestions?
jscher2000

Re: Locate Link Browser

Post by jscher2000 »

Anonymous wrote:I tried following you instructions, but when I click on "Edit" in the "Edit File Type" screen, nothing happens. I tried disabling Adblock to see if that would help, but I still can't get to the editing screen.

AdBlock shouldn't make any difference, because the File Types dialog is a native feature of Windows.

Are you using a locked down computer where you are not supposed to change any settings? This might happen in a corporate setting. In that case, complain to your IT support people. They probably use Firefox, too.

If this is a home PC and you have administrator privileges, you could try the two step of making IE your default browser. Then making Firefox your default browser. Does that work?

If all else fails, the old threads from 2004 linked to a .reg file, which will merge the settings changes into your registry. Make sure you find one that has been tested and recommended here in the forums; untrustworthy .reg files can be dangerous to your computer's stability.
Wade-0

It keeps coming back!

Post by Wade-0 »

I've done this procedure three times now, and it keeps coming back with every firefox update. Is there no permanent way to resolve this issue (besides uninstalling firefox)?!?!?
Lost User 92124

Re: It keeps coming back!

Post by Lost User 92124 »

Wade-0 wrote:I've done this procedure three times now, and it keeps coming back with every firefox update. Is there no permanent way to resolve this issue (besides uninstalling firefox)?!?!?

I had a similar problem - started about 24 hours ago, and it has turned out to be the Google Toolbar for Firefox. I got several errors - Mailwasher Pro produced an error if I clicked on a url, Outlook 2003 produced the Locate Link Browser error, and I got a different error if I clicked a url in Thunderbird. I found that the DDE check box kept ticking itself every time I cleared it.

The official solutions I found thorugh googling, including those suggested here did not work (DDE checkbox, Program Access and Defaults.

But disabling Google Toolbar for Firefox solved the problem. Enabling it re-introduced it. Disabling it removed the problem again.

I've had the toolbar for quite some time, but I think the latest update of the toolbar produced the problem.

Post by Guest »

Well, I am running the google toolbar add-on, so you could be on to something.

Re: It keeps coming back!

Post by Guest »

robertnewbie wrote:
Wade-0 wrote:I've done this procedure three times now, and it keeps coming back with every firefox update. Is there no permanent way to resolve this issue (besides uninstalling firefox)?!?!?

I had a similar problem - started about 24 hours ago, and it has turned out to be the Google Toolbar for Firefox. I got several errors - Mailwasher Pro produced an error if I clicked on a url, Outlook 2003 produced the Locate Link Browser error, and I got a different error if I clicked a url in Thunderbird. I found that the DDE check box kept ticking itself every time I cleared it.

The official solutions I found thorugh googling, including those suggested here did not work (DDE checkbox, Program Access and Defaults.

But disabling Google Toolbar for Firefox solved the problem. Enabling it re-introduced it. Disabling it removed the problem again.

I've had the toolbar for quite some time, but I think the latest update of the toolbar produced the problem.

It does appear that this is the only solution - uninstall Google toolbar if you are using Firefox. Is there no older version of the toolbar available for download that does not have this problem? I really liked some of the toolbar functions such as autofill, page rank, and up folder, which I had moved to the main Firefox toolbar so they would not take up an extra line.
amaroo52

link browser thingo

Post by amaroo52 »

Guys,
I agree about this being a pain - only relevant when you do updates of firefox I think (thats when I noticed it anyway). I do have google tool bar too. Obviously a connection. I think the techos should be told about this one because this configuration would be quite typical I think. I fixed it by doing the DDE untick thing - this would be my 3rd time done! I think it is every time I have updated the firefox version.
Must be quite frustrating for someone not capable or aware of the fix!
Cant we get some bigger fix applied?
Things like this dont do much for Firefox p.r.
thanks
amaroo52

Post by amaroo52 »

Sorry guys - just joined up so can follow this one...
See ya
Amaroo
le_sloth

Locate Link Browser issue returns after FF/Windows updates

Post by le_sloth »

Hi

Is there any permanent fix to this issue? I've tried all available solutions (unchecking Use DDE works), but the problem returns after every FF update / some Windows/Office updates, so is a complete pain!!

Just need it to be fixed once and for all! I've had this problem since FF 0.9!!

Running:
FF 2.0.0.8
XP SP2 with all latest updates
Office 2003 SP3
FF is my default browser (and has been for years)