[Ext] Opera Wand for Firefox - SecureLogin

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
madblueimp

[Ext] Opera Wand for Firefox - SecureLogin

Post by madblueimp »

SECURE LOGIN PROJECT IS SEARCHING FOR A NEW DEVELOPER
If you are an add-on developer and would like to takeover this project please contact me at https://blueimp.net

Secure Login Image

Secure Login is a login extension for Mozilla Firefox integrated password manager.
Its main feature is similar to Opera's (the browser) Wand login.

Project page:
http://securelogin.mozdev.org/
Last edited by madblueimp on April 9th, 2010, 9:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
Basic

Post by Basic »

hi madblueimp,

so far i like your extension. it is nice to click on the icon in the statusbar and be logged in.

I don't know if it is on purpose or not but if i have two tabs opened to two different sites and am logged in and then log out of one site, then start surfing on the logged in site the icon will go to greyed out and will stay that way when i click on the tab to the other site i had just logged out of. so i don't think the extension is recognizing when tabs are changed. however if i click on a link on the link i have just logged out of the the icon in the statusbar will change to yellow thus allowing the one click log in.

i have not checked this behavior with the menubar icon since my menubar is very minimalistic and i don't want anymore icons on it than i already have.

i can live with this behavior though.

one request. please change the icon. it dosen't quite fit in my stausbar and looks a little distorted. if i knew how i would make one. maybe i'll just replace it with one i like.

hopefully i have not offended.

thanks for your time and your extension.

regards.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Does Tools>Options>Security>Password, Remember passwords not do what Wand does?
I've use to for a few years now, and I don't see how it differs all that much from wand's initial popup asking how to handle a site with a password the first time it needs it. The UserID and 'starred' password are inputted to the sites signon boxes.

Of course, there are always things like Yahoo's version of not allowing for saved passwords but there area ways around that as well.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

@Basic:
Thanks for testing.

The "icon not updating it's status on tab change"-bug is already on my list. It can also happen if you forward/rewind in the history of a tab.
The problem is that the extension adds a listener to the "load" event of a page and that event is not happening on tab change. I will fix it as soon as I can (writing tests at university at the moment ;)).
It is the same for status bar and menu bar icon. For now, just reloading the page helps.

Yes, the icon set is not the best one, especially that on the status bar. It's just a 16x16 px PNG-Icon, named "icon-small.png" and "icon-small-disabled.png". If you like, you may propose another one.
Comments are welcome! :)

@couldabeen:
My extension uses Firefox built-in password manager (Tools>Options>Security>Password, Remember passwords). The difference is that it doesn't fill in the login form automatically, which can be a security hole, as mentioned in my first post.
Instead it outlines the login fields for which valid logins are stored in the password manager and allows you to login with one click on a status bar or toolbar icon.

I had two purposes for this extension: Implementing the comfort of Opera's Wand and making auto-logins a bit more secure (not prefilling form fields).

My extension so far respects if pages like that of online banking sites don't allow storing of passwords (which is controlled by the non-standard html tag autocomplete="off"). That is, because the storing of passwords is not handled by my extension but by the built-in password manager.
If you want to be able to always store the passwords, there is another extension, as well as a greasemonkey script and a bookmarklet doing just that:
http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/03/ ... -password/
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

I just released a new version, fixing the "not updating status on tab change"-bug, as well as User Interface improvements (resizing of icons, proper disabling of toolbar button, pointer-cursor for status bar icon).

Download Version 0.1.2 from:
http://blueimp.net/mozilla/
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Version 0.1.3 released:

You can now use the keyboard shortcut without having the SecureLogin
button residing in the toolbar.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

Version 0.1.3.1 released:

This is a minor bugfix release. If you uninstalled previous versions, the setting for signon.prefillForms didn't get re-enabled.
Now it remembers the setting on load and resets it on exit.

If you installed previous versions and want to re-enable the prefilling of forms, do the following:
1. Input about:config in your address bar.
2. Search for the key signon.prefillForms.
3. Doubleclick to change its value from false to true.
JDSEnter

Post by JDSEnter »

I just now tried your SecureLogin extension. Just what I'm looking for ... except ... I had to uninstall it. It disabled the buttons on the toolbar ... back, forward, reload, etc. and the address bar was always blank/empty on all websites after installing the extension. I look forward to trying it again when these bugs are fixed. Firefox 1.5.0.9
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

That sounds really bad. :(
But I'm sorry, I can't reproduce the bugs you describe.
I tested it on Firefox Version 1.5.0.9 and on Firefox Version 2.0.0.1 and had no such problems.

Are you sure the problem happens because of my extension?
Perhaps it is another extension, or a problem between my extension and another extension.
Which other extensions do you have installed?

Could you try it again with the other extensions disabled?
And could you try it with a fresh firefox profile?
JDSEnter

Post by JDSEnter »

I was hoping this would be something easy for you to reproduce. Oh well. The issue happened immediately after installing SecureLogin. It was the only extension I was installing at the time. When I encountered the problem, I uninstalled SecureLogin and the issue disappeared. My conclusion, of course, was that SecureLogin caused the problem. As you said, perhaps it's a convict with another extension. Mine are listed below:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4
Adblock Plus 0.7.2.4
All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4
Allow Right-Click 0.4
Clipmarks 1.0.0
Copy Plain Text 0.3.2
Copy URL + 1.3.2
DOM Inspector 1.8.0.9
Download Statusbar 0.9.4.5
DownThemAll! 0.9.9.7
Enhanced History Manager 0.5.8.05.1
Extended Statusbar 1.2.5
FileFisher 0.4
IE View Lite 1.2.5
Image Toolbar 0.6.4
InfoLister 0.9f
Jump Link 1.3.2
Linky 2.7.1
Mouse Gestures 1.5.2
MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.3
NoScript 1.1.4.5.061221
Preferential 0.8.2
Remove It Permanently 1.0.6.1
Sage 1.3.9
Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2
Talkback 1.5.0.9
TargetAlert 0.8.9.8
Text Link 1.3.2006100702
Toolbar Grippies 0.4.2
VideoDownloader 1.1.1

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to start disabling my extensions. I'll try it as soon as I can. Thanks.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

To try it out without other extensions installed, you could as well just use another firefox profile, using the profile manager of firefox.

I can confirm that my extension has no problems with the extension list I provide on my own forum, as I am using them with SecureLogin:
https://blueimp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8031#8031

Thanks for trying it out. :)
JDSEnter

Post by JDSEnter »

FYI, I disabled Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2 then reinstalled SecureLogin. SecureLogin seemed to work okay but I knew I couldn't live without Tab Mix Plus. I re-enabled Tab Mix Plus expecting it or SecureLogin to break ... but ... so far, they both seem to be working okay and nothing else seems to be broken. I hope it continues since I really like your SecureLogin extension.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

That's good news. Although I would like to know why you had that bug earlier, sometimes, software components are just a mystery of their own.

I hope this last release of SecureLogin can stay for a while, so the addon will get reviewed and accepted for addons.mozilla.org before I upload a new version again and have to wait for the approval queue:
Approval Queue Status: There are currently 259 add-ons awaiting review
Basic

Post by Basic »

for an icon maybe this.

found here.

Image:Wand.png

part of the silk icon theme found here.

Silk icon theme

i have already inserted it into the xpi as 'icon-small.png' but have not got it greyed out yet for the 'icon-small-disabled.png' .

edit:

oh, and i have not resized it yet either.
madblueimp

Post by madblueimp »

The icon is nice, but I would need a vector format such as SVG, to be able to resize it to all formats I need without quality loss.
I would then add it as additional toolbar button, so users can decide which one they want.