Edit source?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Jugalator

Edit source?

Post by Jugalator »

Would be nice if you could right-click and not only view source, but open an associated editor (for example Notepad in Windows) to edit the source as well. Very handy for quick edits when developing home pages and noticing something simple you forgot.

In IE, "View Source" actually mean "Edit Source". Perhaps something similar could be done? If you did that, as a side effect, you might be able to remove all View Source features like the syntax highlighting code that would just become unecessary bloat. All code editing would then be the responsibility of a program specified in the user preferences.

Sounds like a win-win feature to me as we'd be able to edit source with an editor as complex as the user has installed on his/her system, while the developers can remove some additional bits of code from Phoenix.
seb

Post by seb »

It's currently sheduled for Phoenix 0.7.
See http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172817
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

Ah, ok - didn't look that far into the future, hehe :)

Anyway, I'd like to emphasis that it might be useful to actually replace the View Source option with the new "edit source" behavior. Since there are plenty of editors out there that does at least as good job as Phoenix/Mozilla's basic source viewer. And that should shrink the Phoenix code a bit since I guess it requires less code to launch an external program than to make your own HTML syntax highlighter.
seb

Post by seb »

I think that both are nice.
If I only want to view the source of a page, launching another app just for this seems perhaps a bit too much.
And an integrated syntax highlighter can be good when people's default source viewer is crappy (I suppose that most Windows users still have notepad as default source viewer, and it doesn't have syntax highlighting. Actually, I think it'll even fail to correctly display pages without DOS carriage returns).
Faux Pass

Overhead of launching new app

Post by Faux Pass »

Netsabes wrote:If I only want to view the source of a page, launching another app just for this seems perhaps a bit too much.

In my experience, notepad (or, rather, <a href="http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/">metapad</a>) starts <i>much</i> faster than Phoenix's own source browser. A number of times the source browser has taken upwards of <i>thirty seconds</i> to appear, via lots of disk grinding. WTFIUWT?

Netsabes wrote:Actually, I think it'll even fail to correctly display pages without DOS carriage returns).

You know what might be neat is if Phoenix automatically "fixes" source to Windows format when exporting to Notepad.
Stefan

Re: Overhead of launching new app

Post by Stefan »

Faux Pass wrote: A number of times the source browser has taken upwards of <i>thirty seconds</i> to appear, via lots of disk grinding. WTFIUWT?

Indeed, sometimes it's just amaizingly slow.
Perhaps it's refetching the document from the webserver?

You know what might be neat is if Phoenix automatically "fixes" source to Windows format when exporting to Notepad.

Most text-editors worth using automatically switch between Win/Mac/Unix mode.
If your doeesn't, download anotherone.
seb

Re: Overhead of launching new app

Post by seb »

Stefan wrote:Indeed, sometimes it's just amaizingly slow.
Perhaps it's refetching the document from the webserver?.

I don't think it does.
See http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55583