I use Comcast Cable for my connection and have been
for a couple of years.

How do I fix this irritating problem?

Thank you!
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

Can't find anything on a 678 error.

Are you sure this isn't a problem with your router config? PPPoE is for multiple computers on a DSL line. You should have your router configured to DHCP [auto], for a cable modem connection.
Last edited by jimfitter on February 7th, 2007, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

http://www.dslreports.com/

http://forums.speedguide.net/index.php

Someone in the links to forums above might know what a '678 error' is.
Inside every old man is a young man wondering what the hell happened. - Terry Pratchett
maconnelly

follow up

Post by maconnelly »

jimfitter wrote:Can't find anything on a 678 error.

Are you sure this isn't a problem with your router config? PPOE is for multiple computers on a DSL line. You should have your router configured to DHCP [auto], for a cable modem connection.

When I go to certain websites.....a small pop up shows up in the center of my screen and reads....Connecting through WAN miniport(PPPOE)...

my only option is to cancel and then everything is okay....if I do nothing...
another box comes up and reads..... error 678....and gives me a couple of choices....but they all bring me back to the same first pop up.....

I do not need any dial up connect sense I have the cable modem direct from Comcast.....

I have tried to delete certain websites and settings but to no avail...

I used to have dial up many moons ago...but no longer....any thoughts &/or suggestions?????

Thanks!!!!
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

I am not talking about dial-up. WAN is 'wide area network' or your internet, as you know it. PPPoE is Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, which is for DSL.

You should not be configured with PPPoE. DHCP is what you should be using for cable broadband.

You need to check your modem and/or router configurations to make sure you are connected through DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), not PPPoE.
maconnelly

feedback

Post by maconnelly »

jimfitter wrote:I am not talking about dial-up. WAN is 'wide area network' or your internet, as you know it. PPPoE is Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, which is for DSL.

You should not be configured with PPPoE. DHCP is what you should be using for cable broadband.

You need to check your modem and/or router configurations to make sure you are connected through DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), not PPPoE.

Jim,

I understand what WAN stands for....I only have one modem-router and one computer......how do I go about completing this....
Thank you very much!

Mark
jimfitter
Folder@Home

Post by jimfitter »

This should be your cable modem address: 192.168.100.1 . Clear your address(URL) bar, type that in, and press 'enter'.

This should bring you to your modem configuration settings. Make sure it is set to DHCP, not PPPoE.

Re: Connecting through WAN miniport(PPPOE) & error 678

Post by Guest »

What if im at college and i cant get to the routers settings
Dartman

Re: Connecting through WAN miniport(PPPOE) & error 678

Post by Dartman »

Guest wrote:What if im at college and i cant get to the routers settings

This thread is two years old. Please start a new thread and explain your problem(s). Thanks.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.