Email settings in China question (smtp settings)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Gregse

Email settings in China question (smtp settings)

Post by Gregse »

Hi Folks,
I have looked through thehelp files - but this is an odd one.
I have just changed over from Outlook to Thunderbird - so far so good.
My question :
Last time I was in China and connected my laptop to internet at the hotel and it connects OK.
BUT - nobody seems to understand what SMTP or what the outgoing SMTP server is - even when we call their Tech guy.
So - I can download but not send emails as SMTP is a mystery there (in at least 3 hotels I was in)

Is there sometihing different about email setup for China?
How on earth can I setup TB to SEND emails in China.
Help please cos Im there again in3 weeks and NEED my emails - not just webmail.

Thanks heaps
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You may need to send via webmail if your SMTP server does not work there. You could try using the GMail SMTP server... You can add your email address to GMail so that you will be sending with your account. GMail can be setup in Thunderbird.
Gregse

Post by Gregse »

Hi Daifne,
Thanks for that - I will test it out here before we leave.
As far as I can tell, its not so much my STMP doesnt work - but that there is some kind of security issue in China re SMTP.
Like they seem to use some other protocol - but Im really dont know ebough re email tech stuff.
Thanks - this seems like it may work - will test.
Cheers
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

There seem to be a lot of blocks in China. I doubt that they use a different protocol, but your SMTP servers may be blocked from there.
Gregse

Post by Gregse »

Hi All, Ive found something out but am willing to be corrected.
In China most hotels & appartments provide a DSL connection ie just a straight internet connection - there is no SMTP - everyone uses webmail (safer :) )
To get an SMTP thro China Telecom means HUGE hassles esp for a foreigner.

I got the same response as others - when you point at your Outlook screen and show them SMTP Setings - there is a blank look :)
Im gonna try the gmail system - All this is cos we gotta check mail coming into our "home" email accout.
Anyways - apart from the fact that Thunderbird works well ATM for my needs and Outlook 2007 is now outa reach to the average guy and 2003 was full of holes --- lets make TB work :)

Cheers
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Sorry, I thought you understood that. Hotels here, in China and pretty much everywhere, only provide the Internet connection. The POP, IMAP and SMTP servers are provided by your email provider. Now, these can be blocked by the Internet Service provider, which is probably the case for you in China, but the do not provide them.