UI speed

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Lours

UI speed

Post by Lours »

Hello,

some may already have complained about this, but testing Phoenix I noticed that operating the UI (pressing buttons, opening menus, switching tabs, and so on) is extremely slow (as slow as NS6 is at such tasks to be precise) on my machine (a bi celeron 366 with 128Mb RAM under win2000).

Browsing and scrolling HTML document operates at a reasonable speed however every operation involving the UI elements is awfully slow (something like half or quarter of a second for each operation).

So I would like to know three things :
- is it normal ?
- what is it due to ? (XUL I presume and its loads of data for just 3 buttons and a menu bar)
- is it something that you plan to work on and enhance ?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if I am not posting to the right forum.

Regards,
Laurent
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I haven't seen this - on my old machine (P3 550) Phoenix was noticably faster than Mozilla in responding to UI events, and I've used it successfully on a P75 which took in excess of a minute to load Mozilla.

- Chris
Last edited by Thumper on November 10th, 2002, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
penrou

Post by penrou »

Same results as Chris here. I'm running Phoenix as my primary browser on this machine (a P3-500 laptop), with no noticeable slowdown of any sort. I also have Netscape 7 installed on a P166 (don't blame me, I would have installed Phoenix/K-Meleon/Moz 1.2b myself), and although it loads slow as all heck, once it's loaded I have no problems browsing as usual.

Laptop is running Windows 2000, the P166 is on Windows 98.

penrou
Stefan

Re: UI speed

Post by Stefan »

Lours wrote:So I would like to know three things :
- is it normal ?

No it's not normal, but it seems to happen to the occasional user.
I'm not sure if the developers have managed to track down exactly why this is though.

- what is it due to ? (XUL I presume and its loads of data for just 3 buttons and a menu bar)

XUL requires more resources then a native solution would, but slugishness of those proportions depends on something else.

You could try K-Meleon though, which might not have these problems on your setup.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/