[Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.1 : 1-16-2007

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Just a quick bug report with 0.9.1: it's possible to close a single open tab via Showcase - thus closing Firefox - even if Firefox itself is configured to prevent this. (I'm not sure whether this option is only be available if Tab Mix Plus is installed.)

Keep up the good work! :)
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

tobz1000 wrote:Purely a cosmetic point: would you consider changing the logo used on thumbnails of IE tabs to that of IE 7? With the release of IE Tabs 1.3, this is the the logo now used by the extension in the status bar, toolbar etc.

Yes, you're right... Specially because IE Tab uses those icons. I'll update it in the next version!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

MrMystery wrote:Just a quick bug report with 0.9.1: it's possible to close a single open tab via Showcase - thus closing Firefox - even if Firefox itself is configured to prevent this. (I'm not sure whether this option is only be available if Tab Mix Plus is installed.)

Keep up the good work! :)

Well, this point is a little bit complicated: what if you really want to close the window? Yes, there's the contextual menu option, but anyways, I decided to keep that way...

However, there's an option to use this behavior! Go to the Showcase options panel, "Advanced" tab, and check the latest option (in the "Miscellaneous" panel): "Keep browser window open when closing the last tab".
Old joseprio

Re: [Ext] Firefox Showcase 0.9.0 : 12-20-2006

Post by Old joseprio »

joseprio wrote:Showcase provides a new way to manage your Firefox tabs and windows by showing them as thumbnails in a single window, tab or sidebar. Includes a find bar that will filter the thumbnails, and the capability to select the thumbnails in the same way you would select files in your system.
Description - Screenshots - Download

Changelog for this version:
  • Typing in the Showcase window will automatically invoke the find bar.
  • Increased search performance in most cases (specially when the number of tabs is very high).
  • Selection box ends if mouse is moved outside the window.
  • Thumbnail rendering speed increased in some situations.
  • Closing the find bar will reset the search.
  • Fixed crashing bug when minimizing the window or making it too small.
  • Fixed scrolling problem when Showcase window is not focused.
Full Changelog

I released the new version a couple of days ago... just a couple bugs fixed, a few improvements and a new interesting feature: now, if you start typing in the Showcase window, the find bar will be automatically opened.
Last edited by Old joseprio on June 1st, 2007, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

joseprio wrote:
Well, this point is a little bit complicated: what if you really want to close the window? Yes, there's the contextual menu option, but anyways, I decided to keep that way...

However, there's an option to use this behavior! Go to the Showcase options panel, "Advanced" tab, and check the latest option (in the "Miscellaneous" panel): "Keep browser window open when closing the last tab".

Thanks for your reply. What I really want to do is disable the close tab button when there is only one tab open, and, better still, hide the button. This is how I have configured Firefox. Is there any way to get Showcase to match this? Synchronizing the two actions would please everybody.
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

MrMystery wrote:
joseprio wrote:

Thanks for your reply. What I really want to do is disable the close tab button when there is only one tab open, and, better still, hide the button. This is how I have configured Firefox. Is there any way to get Showcase to match this? Synchronizing the two actions would please everybody.

Well, unfortunately, I don't think this can be done in this version. I think that the best I can do is to add an attribute to the thumbnails that indicates if they represent a single tab window, so then it would be very easy to hide the close button using userChrome.css . So, would that be a good option for you?
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

joseprio wrote:Well, unfortunately, I don't think this can be done in this version. I think that the best I can do is to add an attribute to the thumbnails that indicates if they represent a single tab window, so then it would be very easy to hide the close button using userChrome.css . So, would that be a good option for you?

That sounds great, thanks! I assume it would then be easy to add the option to hide the button to the Advanced menu in a future update?
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

MrMystery wrote:
joseprio wrote:Well, unfortunately, I don't think this can be done in this version. I think that the best I can do is to add an attribute to the thumbnails that indicates if they represent a single tab window, so then it would be very easy to hide the close button using userChrome.css . So, would that be a good option for you?

That sounds great, thanks! I assume it would then be easy to add the option to hide the button to the Advanced menu in a future update?

Will try to fit it in :) However, the configuration dialog is becoming too crowded!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Just uploaded a new version of Firefox Showcase to AMO, so it should be available soon.

This version contains a feature that I wanted to add to Showcase for some time... "Drag & drop" support. Some people have been requesting this feature for tab reordering for some time. However, not only can it be used for that, but also it allows to move and duplicate tabs among windows. It's very intuitive, and it also support multiple selections.

Additionally, if a thumbnail is dragged outside of Showcase, it's exported as a URL, so it can be used to interact with other applications. URLs and files can also be dragged on Showcase, so each entry can be opened in a new tab, and shown inside Showcase as thumbnails.

It's pretty cool... of course, feedback is welcome. :)
ne081

Post by ne081 »

very good update.id find it hard to make it without this extension.thanks alot and keep up the great work
David.P

Showcase Search Bar

Post by David.P »

Hi Josep,

first of all thanks for one of the truly greatest extensions.

Today, I was trying to maximize screen real estate (once again;), especially getting the maximum possible space for thumbnails in the Showcase sidebar.

With the following UserChrome code I already managed to remove the Showcase title bar:

sidebarheader, #showcasePanel > hbox { display: none !important; }

However, for some reason I can't close or remove the "Search" toolbar from the top of the Showcase sidebar (have never used that feature) -- although it seems from other screenshots that normally there is no search toolbar anyway.

Could you indicate how the search toolbar can be deactivated?

And here comes one more little feature request. The following would be great: if a certain thumbnail is clicked on for the *second* time, the *previously* active tab should be restored. This way, it is much easier to come back to the previous tab instead of having to look which tab actually was active before. That's the same behaviour as shown by e.g. the windows taskbar.

Thanks already for a short reply,

David.P

Histrion

Minor issue

Post by Histrion »

joseprio wrote:Just uploaded a new version of Firefox Showcase to AMO, so it should be available soon. [...] It's pretty cool... of course, feedback is welcome. :)

I've only had one problem with version 0.9.2.1 -- it doesn't seem to play well with the latest version of the "Blue Ice" theme. In particular, not only does the Showcase window appear missing elements, but so does the Options window -- in fact, on the Options window, all I get are the tabs and the Settings/OK/Cancel buttons on the bottom.

I think it's very possible that this is a Blue Ice problem, not a Showcase problem, but I wanted you to know about it just the same. And Showcase seems to work with both the default theme and LittleFox.

Anyway, thanks for a great extension! Cheers! :)
Old joseprio

Re: Showcase Search Bar

Post by Old joseprio »

David.P wrote:Hi Josep,

first of all thanks for one of the truly greatest extensions.

Today, I was trying to maximize screen real estate (once again;), especially getting the maximum possible space for thumbnails in the Showcase sidebar.

With the following UserChrome code I already managed to remove the Showcase title bar:

sidebarheader, #showcasePanel > hbox { display: none !important; }

However, for some reason I can't close or remove the "Search" toolbar from the top of the Showcase sidebar (have never used that feature) -- although it seems from other screenshots that normally there is no search toolbar anyway.

Could you indicate how the search toolbar can be deactivated?

And here comes one more little feature request. The following would be great: if a certain thumbnail is clicked on for the *second* time, the *previously* active tab should be restored. This way, it is much easier to come back to the previous tab instead of having to look which tab actually was active before. That's the same behaviour as shown by e.g. the windows taskbar.

Thanks already for a short reply,

David.P

Hi David,

you may notice that the screenshots also show a different thumbnail style... those are quite old images, and I think I should refresh them ;)

You may hide the find bar in the Showcase sidebar using the following CSS code in your userChrome.css file:

Code: Select all

.showcaseWindow > #FindToolbar {
  display: none !important;
}

You may also gain some extra space by changing the thumbnail style (options panel, "Thumbnails" tab, "Appearance" sub-tab, "Thumbnail labels" box, "Label style") to "Plain with close button". If you prefer the new style, but would like to reduce the borders, add the following to your userChrome.css file:

Code: Select all

stack > box[anonid="subCanvasBox"] {
   margin: 0px 1px 1px 1px !important;
}

If I remember well, the order of the pixel values is "top right bottom left", so you may tweak the margins as you want.
Last edited by Old joseprio on February 10th, 2007, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old joseprio

Re: Minor issue

Post by Old joseprio »

Histrion wrote:
joseprio wrote:Just uploaded a new version of Firefox Showcase to AMO, so it should be available soon. [...] It's pretty cool... of course, feedback is welcome. :)

I've only had one problem with version 0.9.2.1 -- it doesn't seem to play well with the latest version of the "Blue Ice" theme. In particular, not only does the Showcase window appear missing elements, but so does the Options window -- in fact, on the Options window, all I get are the tabs and the Settings/OK/Cancel buttons on the bottom.

I think it's very possible that this is a Blue Ice problem, not a Showcase problem, but I wanted you to know about it just the same. And Showcase seems to work with both the default theme and LittleFox.

Anyway, thanks for a great extension! Cheers! :)

Thanks a lot for the report.

I already found and solved the problem, so it will work as it should in the next version. I'll probably make a new minor release next week!
Old joseprio

Post by Old joseprio »

Just in case anyone tries Showcase in Firefox 3 alpha 2, everything works well until a thumbnail, for any reason, becomes smaller; if that happens, the width of the thumbnail won't change, so it will look really awkward. This is because of a Firefox bug, and, unfortunately, it's not trivial to avoid, so I've reported it at Mozilla's Bugzilla.