tall png images don't open

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Dave Howorth

tall png images don't open

Post by Dave Howorth »

I have a problem with some PNG images. The images are generated using GD and most of the images load OK, but some don't. As near as I can tell, it is tall (or maybe just big?) images that won't load. If I just load the PNG by itself, I see a message saying that the image cannot be displayed because it contains errors. I can successfully display these images with either xv or gimp and neither complains of any irregularities.

Are there any known problems with large PNG display in Firefox?
Are there any tools that will detect and explain the errors that Firefox is reporting in the PNG file?

I've googled but haven't come up with any answers. I've put one of the files at <http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/dhoworth/f208c50af8a68669c364c22849f1d1de.png> if anybody wants to look at it. It's 190 kB and 820x36564 pixels.

Thanks, Dave

Re: tall png images don't open

Post by Guest »

Oops! Forgot to tell you which Firefox I'm using:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20060911 SUSE/1.5.0.9-0.1 Firefox/1.5.0.9

Thanks, Dave
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

That image loads fine in Windows XP Pro. I'm not familiar with how Firefox renders images, so I don't know what is platform related and what might be specific to your installation.
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

jscher2000 wrote:That image loads fine in Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for that info.

Can anybody confirm whether or not it loads on other platforms (especially Linux)?

Can anybody point me to some docs so I can understand how Firefox loads PNG files so I can check libraries etc?

Thanks, Dave
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Doesn't work for me on Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20070126 Ubuntu/dapper-security Firefox/1.5.0.9
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Renders fine for me on W2K.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20070213 BonEcho/2.0.0.2pre ID:2007021303

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

I asked about this issue on the opensuse list and various people there confirm that it seems to display OK on recent versions of Windows but nobody can see it on Linux even with recent versions of Firefox. The thread starts here:
<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2007-02/msg01752.html>

So it looks increasingly likely to be a Firefox/Mozilla bug on GNU/Linux, IMHO.
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

So it looks increasingly likely to be a Firefox/Mozilla bug on GNU/Linux, IMHO.

There's already a Novell bug report for this with a Novell person looking into it: <https> so I'll stop looking now.

Interestingly, if you resize my image to exactly 32767 pixels high with gimp and then try to display it, firefox crashes. The bug's been there for around a year now.

Cheers, Dave
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

I think we still need an entry on Mozilla's Bugzilla. Do you want to file it?
trolly

Post by trolly »

Littlemutt filed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370629
It is about this and another problem. I guess one of them will be spitted off to another bug.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

trolly wrote:Littlemutt filed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370629
It is about this and another problem.

I'm glad somebody filed it. I looked into filing it but the procedure is so complicated I gave up!

On the suse list people turned up a few other possibly useful factoids:
(1) the problem isn't limited to firefox, various other Linux application have trouble. Some crash and burn.
(2) there is a fundamental limit in X of 32767 for image sizes, so all applications need to deal with this.
(3) it appears likely that imlib does NOT deal with it properly.

Cheers, Dave
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

The mozilla bug is now marked Status: VERIFIED FIXED.
Dave Howorth

Post by Dave Howorth »

trolly wrote:Littlemutt filed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370629
It is about this and another problem. I guess one of them will be spitted off to another bug.

Actually, looking at that bug report more carefully, it's about two other bugs and NOT about this bug at all. The two bugs described there both occur on Windows boxes while this bug does not occur on Windows boxes. It does occur on Linux.

Cheers, Dave

Post by Guest »

Dave Howorth wrote:On the suse list people turned up a few other possibly useful factoids:

I forgot:
(4) I resized the image to 32767 pixels high with gimp. Firefox crashes on that image, giving the following error message to the console:
<pre>
The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
(Details: serial 23489 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
</pre>
Cheers, Dave