Problem with m3u files

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alice

Post by Alice »

MacAl,

Have you checked your Quicktime preferences, MIME settings, to make sure m3u files are selected? The default action for downloaded files are to open in the plugin - See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_files_using_plugins

If that doesn't help, you could try removing the M3U entry in Firefox Download Actions, or try the suggestion here to reset the Firefox Download Actions:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_medi ... ad_actions

If you still have problems you might be better off starting a new topic with "Mac" in the subject, or trying Apple ITunes support or the Apple ITunes for Mac forum. For example, here is a quote from a recent Apple Itunes forum topic that refers to WAV files, but which you can apply th M3U or other filetypes:
Re: Quicktime VS ITunes
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 2:02 PM in response to: moneykube
Solved
monkeykube, first click on a wav file icon to highlight it, then Get Info from the File menu and change the application to open to QuickTime from iTunes and then check change all. Any similar wav file should open with QuickTime thereafter. Also check the wav MIME Setting in the QuickTime System Preferences.
Alice Wyman
anitahill

Post by anitahill »

I am having very similar problems with FireFox 1.5.0.7 on a Mac. I get the uninstalled plugin logo instead of opening in iTunes, for an embedded m3u. After setting QuickTime to allow m3u, it did work in Safari as well, but like MacAl, the m3u plugin is not in the list of plugins for FX, but is in Safari.

For a bit while fooling with this I did have the m3u in the Edit actions window, but it would not display any app or plugin name, only a tiny QT icon. Upon recommendations here and elsewhere, I removed the action entirely, and now it does not even show, and it still works the same way as before -- uninstalled plugin, no plugin found.

I followed Alice's tips, and nothing seems to work. Having read some in the Apple forums, I am wondering if going back to an earlier version of QT would help, but hesitate to do this; running QT version 7.1.3.

This seems to be a FireFox quirk. The QuickTime Guide here seems to be for Windows. I tried the about:config but can't seem to get anywhere. There is no browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes listed.

I don't even see an iTunes choice available for the m3u. How do you add that? Sorry if I am just overlooking something, but I am spending hours trying to figure this out, was hoping someone wouldn't mind helping if they could.
anitahill

Post by anitahill »

After doing many things to try to make this work with no effect, I finally drug the QT plugins QuickTime Plugin.webplugin and QuickTime Plugin.plugin from the trash back into the main (not user) Library>Internet Plugins. Without a restart in FireFox, the media player flickered on screen before the usual "uninstalled plugins" etc. Upon restart, it worked! No alerts, the media player appeared, and has been working ever since.

I am fairly certain that is the only thing I did that could have affected the outcome.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for adding that information so that other Mac users can benefit.
edonaldson

Post by edonaldson »

I am having the "cannot find associated application" problem with Firefox 2.0.0.1. I have been using Azureus and it was working great until now.

I don't think it is a problem with Windows file associations.

I found the Tools > Options > Content tab where you can 'Configure how Firefox handles certain types of files' but I have no file types listed there.

How do I add the .torrent file type to this list? How can I edit it?

I have tried reinstalling Firefox.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Alice Wyman
Daifne

Re: Problem with m3u files

Post by Daifne »

bridz,
I split your post off to a new topic. Your question was not really related to the topic you posted in. Yours is here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=836095