SMTP Problems with Avast

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bossdain

SMTP Problems with Avast

Post by bossdain »

I have just installed the latest Avast Home Version (4.7). I have 3 email accounts setup using Thunderbird as my client. My "sbcglobal" account works fine, but I am not able to send any emails (however, I can receive) from my two "godaddy" accounts. I noticed that the sbcglobal is using port 25 and the godaddy accounts are using port 80. Can you tell me how to configure the godaddy accounts so that they will send email via smtp? Please advise and thanks!

If this helps, here are the server details for each:

sbcglobal=
smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
port 25

godaddy=
smtpout.secureserver.net
port 80

- Dain
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

Interestingly this problem was just reported in the avast forum by another GoDaddy user, the use of port 80 for an SMTP conversation is getting bound up in the antivirus scanning of HTTP traffic that is expected on port 80 connections by the avast Webshield.

This is the first company I have ever heard of telling users that they should use port 80 for SMTP mail. It is, frankly, a bit silly of GoDaddy since port 80 is the industry standard port for HTTP browser access.

GoDaddy does support port 25 for SMTP - go ahead and try it - and I can only assume that the use of port 80 is a way around the locations/ISPs that block the use of port 25 but do allow port 80 outbound. This is not a Thunderbird issue at all but an avast one.

I am sure that port 25 will work well for you with GoDaddy, but if you continue to experience problems I will be happy to assist you in the avast forum.
bossdain

Post by bossdain »

Thanks for the tip...I changed the port to 25 and received timeout errors (Error 10060). Any other thoughts?

Also, do you have the link to the Avast forum post? I will try and keep an eye on the post and see if it helps.

Lastly, I did send an email to the Avast Support team...will see what happens.

Thanks again...
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

I just talked to GoDaddy and looked at their recommendations. Their online pages suggest either port 80 or port 3535 (and they will tell you port 25 also but that is not shown in their online pages).

I can go into more details in the avast forum if you wish, but the best choice for you with avast will, I believe, be port 3535.

The avast forum: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2

The GoDaddy thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic= ... #msg218446
bossdain

Post by bossdain »

YOU ROCK! The port 3535 worked like a charm. I truly appreciate all of the efforts.

Thanks again alanrf.

Re: SMTP Problems with Avast

Post by Guest »

The reason they don't suggest port 25 is because many ISPs block port 25 out to prevent botted machines from being spam sources. Mine does this.