2.0.0.2 sucks "windows cannot open..."

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
error2002

2.0.0.2 sucks "windows cannot open..."

Post by error2002 »

i never had any firefox problems...

UNTIL I UPGRADED TO 2.0.0.2 today.

after upgrading, every time i clicked on a destop shortcut for a firefox link to a web site, firefox would load up the site, but an error message would also pop up saying "windows cannot open (whatever web site i was going to)"

i did some searching, tried to fix it, but couldn't. so then i downloaded 2.0.0.1 and installed that over 2.0.0.2 and IT'S BACK TO WORKING FINE.

FIREFOX STAFF, FIX THAT ANNOYING PROBLEM!!!! i'm afraid to upgrade again now because of this!!!
error2002

Post by error2002 »

actually, to be exact, the error message was "windows cannot find..."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
error2002

Post by error2002 »

the-edmeister wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls

Ed

my error had nothing to do with firewalls.

the problem is 2.0.0.2 sucks at setting itself as the default browser correctly.

Post by Guest »

if you search google..you can see other people had the same problem i had, except with older versions of firefox.

http://www.google.com/search?q=firefox% ... GL:en&aq=t
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Post by Guest »

to be clear, when i used 2.0.0.2, firefox WOULD load up the site. the problem is i would ALSO get a pop up saying "windows cannot find... (whatever site i was going to)"

it's not like a firewall was denying internet access for 2.0.0.2

Post by Guest »

i'm done complaining. i'm not a noob. it has nothing to do with a firewall. more people will complain about this and someone will finally figure out the problem. i'll try updating again in a few months.
Blockheadforumdwellers

Release 2.0.0.2 DOES MANGLE DeskCuts/Internet Shortcuts.

Post by Blockheadforumdwellers »

This issue has nothing to do with firewalls.

It has to do with the way 2.0.0.2 handles internet shortcuts. (FF makes shortcuts by dragging the URL to the desktop, or by using the DeskCut Add-On.)

Release 2.0.0.2 does not read the internet shortcut correctly. Instead of opening the shortcut like a typical Internet shortcut, instead it appears to try to run the URL as a file on the LOCAL machine.

It displays an error message:
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3613/toerrisffvc1.jpg

Then after a pause, it does finally open Firefox and download the appropriate webpage (referenced by the internet shortcut.)

I have noticed this problem does not occur if there is at least one instance of Firefox currently running. It DOES happen if there are no instances of FireFox currently running.

Yes, it is a highly annoying BUG! It is clearly a bug, because even shotcuts created by dragging the URL off of a webpage displayed in FireFox, the problem STILL occurs.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Still haven't told us what OS bean head
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

malliz wrote:Still haven't told us what OS bean head

Blockheadforumdwellers and i have the same problem.

my OS is Windows XP.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Workaround: Turn off DDE or edit DDE settings for the HTTP protocol (maybe also HTTPS if you launch Firefox from links/shortcuts to secure sites).

In Windows 2000/XP:
  • Open My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open Tools>Folder Options..., File Types tab
  • Scroll down to (NONE) URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it
  • Click Advanced and then, with open selected, click Edit
  • Clear the checkbox for "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part)
  • Click OK for that dialog and the next one, and Close when you are done

Firefox will fix the DDE settings the next time it starts. To fix them manually yourself, instead of unchecking "Use DDE", change them as follows:

DDE Message:
Delete the entire thing (which usually is "%1",,0,0,,,,)

Application:
No change {Firefox}

DDE Application not running:
No change {blank}

Topic:
Change to System

Edit: For the pictorially oriented, here's a side-by-side screen shot of the settings:

For future reference...

Post by Guest »

Einstein, just assume that if no one mentions an OS, then it is Win XP.

Do you guys even test this stuff on any systems besides your over tweaked default workstations?

Get a spare PC or two with different "default" installations of common OS's.

There, how's that feel?

Oh yeah... And the WHOLE PLANET uses internet shortcuts, and many programs do too, so jump to and fix this, unless you want to harm FF reputation.

Post by Guest »

hi i'm the person who started this thread and found out it's somehow the google toolbar. if i disable or uninstall the google toolbar the problem goes away.
steviex

Post by steviex »

^^ We are not the developers ... Just fellow users like yourself. My system is bog standard and Firefox 2.0.0.2 works perfectly.
Also lots of people here are on Macs, so making assumptions is dangerous.. and full details are nice to make an accurate diagnosis.

Have you reported this bug to Bugzilla, so that the Devs can get it fixed for Firefox 2.0.0.3

Extensions are often a cause of problems after an update... Make sure you have the latest version, and if they are broken, drop the author a line to tell him, so that it can be fixed.

Also please be nice....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.