Can't save gif or png, no file options

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
limetortuga

Can't save gif or png, no file options

Post by limetortuga »

I've never had this problem, it just started tonight. When I right click and chose "save image as", unless it's a jpg file there are NO option listed in "save as type". Nothing at all. I haven't changed any settings... I have cleared the cache and all that, no change. Any ideas?
Zemlianika

Re: Can't save gif or png, no file options

Post by Zemlianika »

limetortuga wrote:I've never had this problem, it just started tonight. When I right click and chose "save image as", unless it's a jpg file there are NO option listed in "save as type". Nothing at all. I haven't changed any settings... I have cleared the cache and all that, no change. Any ideas?

That's what you get for stealing copyrighted gifs/images. I'm kidding. I've never had it before. Sounds pretty weird to me.
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

I've never had this happen before either... it's pretty annoying.
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

Anyone else?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

When I right-click images in this page and choose Save Image As..., one's a GIF and one's a PNG. The drop-down choices are, for GIF, GIF or All Files, and for PNG, PNG or All Files. Kinda makes sense. Are these problems on a particular site? It could be the site delivers those images using a script and has not made it convenient for you to save them, but it still might work if you manually add the extension. You also could try Tools>Page Info, Media tab.
Dese

Post by Dese »

I'm having the same problem, except even without any 'saves as type' options showing up, when I hit save the image doesn't save. At all. It's driving me crazy and it's only been happening for the last couple of days.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

jscher2000 wrote:When I right-click images in this page and choose Save Image As..., one's a GIF and one's a PNG. The drop-down choices are, for GIF, GIF or All Files, and for PNG, PNG or All Files. Kinda makes sense. Are these problems on a particular site? It could be the site delivers those images using a script and has not made it convenient for you to save them, but it still might work if you manually add the extension. You also could try Tools>Page Info, Media tab.

It's not just that page... it's every page. I tried your suggestion of adding the extension, and it saves, but every pictures saves grainy and not animated.
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

Oh, I'm so bad... I couldn't make sense of half of what that page said.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

limetortuga wrote:It's not just that page... it's every page. I tried your suggestion of adding the extension, and it saves, but every pictures saves grainy and not animated.

Yeah, I was just using the forum as an example. If the image saves in an incorrect format, that suggests there is some deeper problem. In IE, when this happens (e.g., animated GIFs only will save as BMP files) then you have to clear the cache and for some unknown reason that usually resolves the problem. Do you mind trying that in Fx and see whether it helps?

If not, does the Page Info dialog work any better?

If not, you could run through the steps in: Standard diagnostic - Firefox @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base and/or try Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base.
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

I've tried clearing the cache, twice... I'll check out the other suggestions. I don't know if it's related, but at the same time this started my computer doesn't recognize our MP3 players anymore. ~shrugs~

ETA: I just tried to save files on IE, and they work fine... so it is Firefox that's giving me problems.
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

Okay... I'm lost again. What's Page Info dialog?

ETA: I just tried creating a new profile, and I can't save gif's or png's in that profile either.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

"but at the same time this started my computer doesn't recognize our MP3 players anymore"

Did you check the file associations in Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types?
Check your MP3 player, maybe if you 'redo' that setting then the association will be restored.

"but every pictures saves grainy and not animated."
Are you using some kind of web accellerator or proxy?

Did you check your firewall: some can block animations.
Some things you can check/test:
Images_or_animations_don't_load_(KB)
Websites_look_wrong_(KB)

Edit: noticed your last post (added while I was typing mine):
Page Info is Tools > Page Info > Media tab
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

Everything looks fine IN the websites... it's only when I save my gif's by manually adding the extension that they stop working and look grainy. No, I'm not using an accelerator or anything like that. I checked our firewall settings and they're the same as always. This is something that recently started, nothing new was downloaded or installed that could have altered settings or anything either.

Okay, found Page Info... what am I supposed to do with it?
limetortuga

Post by limetortuga »

Here's what it looks like when I try to save a gif... note the gray box where the file type should be. If I click the arrow for the drop down box, it doesn't drop down to anything. It's just blank.
http://home.comcast.net/~merghana.valtiele/notype.jpg