Saved Passwords

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Opera_Phantom

Saved Passwords

Post by Opera_Phantom »

I've updated my firefox to this new version but i have a problem.

If i go to security, all my saved passwords are stored there but, for example, at hattrick.org, I type "O" for my username, it shows "Opera_Phantom" like it always did, i press enter but my saved password disapeared! And the same happens in other sites.

Is this a bug?
Ruudje86

Post by Ruudje86 »

I have the same problem. It used to insert my username and pw everywhere automatically but since the new update i have to click my username first and then the pw doesnt appear. Very annoying!

Post by Guest »

Ruudje86 wrote:I have the same problem. It used to insert my username and pw everywhere automatically but since the new update i have to click my username first and then the pw doesnt appear. Very annoying!

This sucks! I hope they release some kind of patch to correct this.
kostelo

Post by kostelo »

I have the same problem and I mentioned it also in the Bugs thread. I hope there will be a fix.
MotherFury

Post by MotherFury »

Same problem here. Was working yesterday. Updated FF last night. Not working now. Not working on most of the websites that I have stored passwords for. However, I have noticed that if I attempt to login without the password, it is in place and works on the error page that follows and the next time I go to that login page. Not getting prompted to save login details, either.

Some specific sites:
VerizonWireless.Com
dotster.com
Google Gmail

BTW - this is on Mac OSX 10.3.9 / FF 2.0.0.2
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

As you can still see the passwords in the password manager:
remove the username and password for the site and let the password manager readd them.
That works for me.
It is apparently caused by the change to a new password file (signons2.txt).

Post by Guest »

Nope mate, that doesn't work, i've tried it
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did the password manager ask to add the new (removed) username and password?
I just tried it and it worked for me.

After a log out and a new login if I double clicked the name field the password was filled correctly.

If that doesn't work then write down all the usernames and passwords or use the Password Exporter: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2848/

See my post below for a solution.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I had a try with it as I didn't want to reenter all my passwords as well.

It seems that the new file (signons2.txt) has an extra line for the url below the password.
Signons2.txt begins with #2d (signons.txt begins with #2c) to indicate the section with the exceptions.
Every sections is ended with a single line that only has '.' on it.
A section starts with the url, followed by two lines for the username and two for the password (field name and encrypted data).
Finaly there is a line with the domain where the password is entered on a website.
After the update that line seems to be empty (an extra line was inserted) and copying the above url to that line made it work for me.
If the login is on another domain then you may need to enter the correct url.
I didn't have such passwords so I couldn't check that.
Copying the correct login url to that empty line made the password appear again on the website.
You may need to double click the name field or press the down key and press tab to get the password.

See: Where is my profile folder?

Make a backup copy of signons2.txt if you want to edit that file instead of letting the PM add the new passwords after you have removed the old not working one.
spacebears

Post by spacebears »

dickvl, could you please explain your solution in more detail?

I can't view my old passwords in password manager, but I did find the signons.txt and signons2.txt files. FF is using signons.txt as its new password file, but all my old passwords are in signons2.txt. So do I want to move the data from signons2.txt to signons.txt or make changes to signons2.txt and rename it to signons.txt? Does it matter if the final, revised file says #2d or #2c on it at the start?

In signons2.txt, I see the blank line after the encrypted password, but in signons.txt the line directly after the encrypted password only has a "." on it -- but you want me to add data to that blank line in the signons2.txt entries?

Maybe you could make up a dummy example so I could get a better idea of what I'm supposed to do?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Which version of Firefox do you use?

Fx 2.0.0.2 and Fx 1.5.0.10 use the new format and they convert the old file by changing the first line to #2d and adding the extra line to protect against cross site scripting (specify the url for the password).
spacebears

Post by spacebears »

I just updated to FF 2.0.0.2 today. When I add a new password now, it adds it to signons.txt, which starts with #2c and has no extra line for the URL. Firefox is ignoring signons2.txt.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you sure that you use Fx 2.0.0.2? (Help > About...)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

dickvl wrote:It seems that the new file (signons2.txt) has an extra line for the url below the password.
I am not seeing that extra line in signons2.txt from a 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.2 update (and that is on my sole installer version of Firefox). Does that line get added the first time the UN/PW is used? Or does it (or is supposed to) get generated during the upgrade from #2c to #2d?

I am so throughly confused by what I am experiencing when logging into UN/PW websites that I really don't see any difference in 2.0.0.2 than in earlier versions! I am gonna create a new Profile and start allowing Firefox to create a new set of password files.

Additionally, my 2 - 1.5.0.10 version updates didn't create a signons2.txt file at all, those two Profile are still using signons.txt.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
spacebears

Post by spacebears »

Firefox says I'm using 2.0.0.2, but I looked elsewhere and Windows seems to think I'm still on 2.0.0.1. I think I'll try a reinstall and see where that leaves me. Thanks for the help.