Saved Passwords

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
KiLL CraZy

Post by KiLL CraZy »

im having the same problem and I don't quite understand your solution dickvl... can you please explain it better?
I have windows xp with the new version of fire fox. (2.0.0.2)
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The new files were for me created after opening the password manager and choosing "Show Passwords". I don't know if they were there before. I suppose you need at least open/run the password manager. The popup might not do it.

My files are converted (I could put a backup back to test) and maybe I will do that.

I see two prefs in about:config in both Fx 1.5.0.10 and Fx 2.0.0.2:
signon.SignonFileName - signons.txt
signon.SignonFileName2 - signons2.txt

I don't know what determines which file Fx uses.

I see the extra lines in files with the #2d identifier.
If there are multiple passwords for a site then each password is followed by a line with the url.
The conversion seems to add an extra line instead of copying the main url.
Each username / password section consists of five lines (2+2+1).
A line with a single '.' is used as a separator.
Deviouz

Post by Deviouz »

I can confirm this working.. if you edit your signons2.txt to look like this below, if you have multiple user names for sites it works...!!!

http://login.myspace.com
email
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*password
email
*password
email
*password
sensation

Post by sensation »

^^^^^ bump. Need help with this.
Rybo85

Post by Rybo85 »

As mentioned above, you have to open your signons2.txt file located in your firefox profile and bookend each user name and password combo with the url of the login site.

Example:
Before alteration-

http://www.target.com
email
MEIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECLx4XfA/5hqmBBi8lMpcsuxjC9zp4l6GossR4KeFweFgmQ0=
*password
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECAlbudJK7gOCBAh86S4pItCw3w==

After alteration-
email
MEIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECLx4XfA/5hqmBBi8lMpcsuxjC9zp4l6GossR4KeFweFgmQ0=
*password
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECAlbudJK7gOCBAh86S4pItCw3w==

For sites where you have more than 1 account, you have to put the url after each account. Example:

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com
UserName
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECNzJDC+4P+IIBAhF8CTt24rGZg==
*PassWord
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECNCtCm1Em7uPBAh/uIH3Ti5BWA==
UserName
MEIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECP+ib20Gj1U+BBjQz7Hj7jqpvXT26Xs7Oupc05D22hnxQG0=
*PassWord
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECJny8tXjeUAiBAgSjyE3qtt1nA==
UserName
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECIE9eRMgPCSrBAivoWghtiDYLA==
*PassWord
MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECOobSjHgWlBqBAhh0/Oc3/kI4A==
LeeTay

Any word on a fix release?

Post by LeeTay »

Thanks to all for the work-arounds, although there's no way in the world I can ask my staff to do this for their browser installations. Any words from the Firefox PTB about a systemic fix?
KiLL CraZy

Post by KiLL CraZy »

so basically just remove the ENTER spaces between all the lines and thats it?
And i realized that websites that I have multiple accounts for are nto in order. Like for myspace I would have one link at the top of the document and then another myspace link in the middle and etc... Do i have to rearrange that or just remove all the ENTER spaces from the lines and the passwords should start showing up now on my logins.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

In the new signons2.txt file there are empty lines inserted below each encrypted password line.
Copy the url of the site at the top of that section (below a line with a single '.') to the empty line(s) in that section.
The passwords are only filled in if the url of the page corresponds to the url on that line in the signos2.txt file.

Post by Guest »

KiLL CraZy wrote:so basically just remove the ENTER spaces between all the lines and thats it?.

No, that's not it. There are two examples above that people have laboriously written out for people, that show you that it is not just it.

All you have to do, is read them.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

This is what I think, the password auto completion function is seriously broken after an upgrade! The password does not automatically get filled in in any version or Profile that has been subjected to an update to signons2.txt . (I am not even concerned about whether the UN/PW combo is entered automatically with single saved logons per domain, I am used to double-clicking to get the dropdown of a 'single' and expect that is how it should work at 'saved multiples' domains.)

I have spent almost 4 hours today working with the various Firefox installations and Profiles that I have installed, and regardless of how I modify that signons2.txt file I can not get a password to auto complete whether it is for a domain where there is only one password saved or for a domain, or where I have multiple logon user names and passwords saved. All these aggravations over a security problem at one website (myspace.com) that was fixed at the source of the problem (the website) many weeks ago.

It looks like the Firefox developers haven't learned Rule #1 in programming, which is don't try to fix something that isn't broken. I just wish to hell that 'they' didn't replace signons.txt with signons2.txt, IMO they should have done like they did with urlclassifier.sqlite, merely adding the new file "2" while retaining the old version; that way at least a user could un-install 2.0.0.2 and re-install 2.0.0.1, delete the "2" file and then maybe we might be able to restore previous functionality.

I will state that I have yet to create a new, pristine Profile to see if 'it' works any better because of the time I have spent trying to figure out if and how an existing Profile can be fixed. At least I have other Profiles that haven't yet been run under 2.0.0.2 and my 1.5.0.10 update didn't convert signons.txt to signons2.txt, so I have signons.txt / key3.db combos that I can 'import' to the affected Profiles should I decide to revert to installing 2.0.0.1.

Thanks to dickvl for his many posts to help us fix this problem.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I have no problems with the auto fill of passwords in either Fx 1.5.0.10 or Fx 2.0.0.2 after making sure that signons2.txt is ok.
You can try to start with a new file (rename or move the old file) and let the PM readd a few sites.
You can use the PM to check if they appear there (Show Passwords).
I like to do the edit with the keyboard: Shift+End (Select) / Ctrl+Insert (Copy) and Shift+Insert (Paste).
WidgetMaker

Post by WidgetMaker »

I am working with Firefox version 2.0.0.2 and I also had the username/password problem. Neither would show up automatically unless I double clicked on the username; it then gave me a list of options to select - that is, usernames previously used there. But even so, the password would not show up automatically.

This definitely fixed the problem for me. I found the profile folder (directions above in this thread, e.g., Start -> Run -> type in "%appdata%" and hit OK. After finding the signons2.txt., I tried changing the information like username, pass, etc. as it was suggested. I also tried changing the file to signons.txt. So, here is what worked for me: I deleted the file. Then, make sure that in firefox (Tools -> Options), under the Security tab, make sure the box is checked to remember passwords. Go to a site (e.g., your email account or whatever). Type in the username and password. This time, it should ask you to remember information.

Firefox should make a new signons2.txt file. A problem with trying to manually put the info right into the text file is that sometimes, it will list the password under "*password" and other times under "*passwd". Other times, it might not be clear if you should write in "http://www.gmail.com" or something else, like, "https://www.google.com" (which is the correct url for GMAIL).

Obviously, if you follow the advice here, you risk losing all your passwords and login names because you deleted the file. However, if you have them stored elsewhere, this should not be a major problem. It will only require you manually write in the username and password into each webpage *as you visit it*. It doesn't involve rewriting the whole file yourself. The plus is that you won't have to continue writing in the information each time you visit the site (so on the whole, this is a good thing).

Widget Maker
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can't edit that file and put the names in it.
The filed names (username and password) are determined by the names of the fields of the web page (HTML code) and you can't come up with the encrypted data.

You can use the Password Exporter extension if you want to add or edit names and passwords.
You probably need to add the extra url line after importing passwords.

Password Exporter https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2848/
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

>>A section starts with the url, followed by two lines for the username and two for the password (field name and encrypted data).

I have some with a url, then a blank line, then username/password, then another blank line.

Ideas?
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

As I stated above, I haven't had any luck with editing the signons2.txt file, but I have learned more about what is needed (at least for me) to get Passwords to auto-complete = re-entering everyone of my 75 Passwords!

This is what I have had happen in two different installations using two different Profiles:
1- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20070225 BonEcho/2.0.0.2pre ID:2007022503
2- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2

I went to my Comcast webmail login page where I have 5 different accounts, double-click the UN box to get the dropdown of all 5 accounts, then I selected one and had only the UN box be auto-completed and the cursor stayed blinking in the UN box at the end the auto-completed UN, the PW didn't auto-complete. I manually entered the PW and clicked the SignIn button to enter the website - I was not asked if I wanted to remember the PW.

The signons2.txt file didn't have that 2nd URL (as has been discussed in this thread) for that particular UN before I entered my PW, but that 2nd URL line was present after I entered (re-entered) my PW and Signed In to view my account. One strange thing that I noticed is that sometimes the order of the different UN/PW combinations is altered within the domain grouping after saving another re-entered PW for that particular domain, I don't know if that is significant to this "problem" or not. Plus the order of the domains and the order within those domains is different in the two different signons2.txt files, although they were migrated from the same source Profile many months ago - I don't know if that is normal or significant either. The only thing that is the same is the positioning (at the top) and the order of the domains that I don't ever want Passwords saved for.

"Correct" auto-completion continues to work for the re-entered PW's, even after a restart of Firefox. So it looks like 'we' are gonna have to re-enter everyone of our Passwords as we go to access the websites where we saved Passwords. I don't know about the rest of you, but I did 3 screenshots of the Password Manager window at various scroll positions to get all 75 UN/PW into a screenshot and then cut & pasted the paper of those screenshots into a 13" long page listing of all my passwords so I have easy access to the list. I am hoping that once I get one Profile fixed up that I can migrate the signons2.txt and key3.db into other 2.0.0.2 Profiles that I have without having any problems. That has always worked correctly before, so I am not expecting any problems there.

I am glad that the 1.5.0.10 update didn't create that signons2.txt file when it updated from 1.5.0.9 because that is the Profile and installation that use most often for accessing webpages that need a UN/PW be entered without a cookie-based login like here at MozillaZine.

I am wondering why with 4 or 5 RC versions being done for 2.0.0.2 that this problem wasn't discovered by the testers and fixed, and if it was noticed, why the Release Notes don't have a warning that after updating to 2.0.0.2 that a user will need to re-enter each and every one of their Passwords the first time the use a particular UN/PW combination.

Or are 'we' who have posted in this thread the only ones who are having this problem with 2.0.0.2 auto-completing Passwords for previously saved UN/Passwords not auto-completing?
Who has a listing of all their passwords on paper outside Firefox or their computer? People rely on Firefox doing things correctly and not losing their data! Yeah, I know that has been asked about Bookmarks for a good part of the last 3 years or so.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.