Aluminium Kai 2.

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Stovo

Missing scrollbar with 2.0.0.1 update

Post by Stovo »

With the update to FF 2.0.0.1, I've lost the scrollbar slider that appears on the far right in all browser windows for this theme (Aluminium Kai 2 1.8.4). The entire scrollbar appears as a monochrome stripe. Clicking in this area will move the browser window up or down, but the slider itself never appears. This is also true of other FF app windows when they require a scrollbar such as Add-ons or Downloads.

I posted this in the forums several weeks ago, and was told to wait for an update; however, it now appears that this problem is peculiar to my system.

The following themes DO NOT have the scrollbar problem:

Firefox default
Blue Ice 1.2.1
Modern Aluminium 2.0.8

These themes DO have the problem:

Aluminium Kai 2 1.8.4
Metal Lion iCe 1.3.5
Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.371 (just updated)
Black Japan 1.2
Nautipolis 1.7.04

I have re-installed FF, but the problem remains.

I do prefer this theme, and would appreciate any help resolving this issue - tho I always feel awkward asking for help with something that the author is doing for the rest of us without any personal gain.
Frank Lion

Re: Missing scrollbar with 2.0.0.1 update

Post by Frank Lion »

Stovo wrote:With the update to FF 2.0.0.1, I've lost the scrollbar slider ...

These themes DO have the problem:

Aluminium Kai 2 1.8.4
Metal Lion iCe 1.3.5
Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.371 (just updated)
Black Japan 1.2
Nautipolis 1.7.04

I have re-installed FF, but the problem remains.

I do prefer this theme, and would appreciate any help resolving this issue - tho I always feel awkward asking for help with something that the author is doing for the rest of us without any personal gain.

Hi Stovo, don't feel awkward, this is what these threads are for. Although normally if you have a problem (as you do) that isn't confined to just one theme, then asking in Firefox Support/General is a good idea.

Try this : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Scrollbar_dis ... ter_update

...when they talk about 'addons', click on the link and start with your extensions first - disable half of them at a time, restart, etc.

Please report back, as there are other ways to fix this stuff, if required.

Frank :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Thanks for the help Frank! Just as you thought, the problem was a FF extension. Several months ago, among other more useful extensions, as a whim, I installed Stumbleupon Toolbar, which I used once, and then promptly forgot about. I'd already prevented the toolbar from displaying, but hadn't actually disabled it. There wasn't any problem until I upgraded to v 2.0.0.1. Once disabled, Aluminium Kai 2 and the others now display properly. Thanks for this most attractive theme!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

New Version Release :

Aluminium Kai 2 version 1.8.8 for Firefox 1.5 - 2.0

Minor Update**

Fixes for version 1.8.8

1. New Bookmark icon.

2. Restyled Bookmark Folder icons.

3. Bug fixes on menus and Option window.

Known Issue - when using Firefox 1.5 ONLY, initial tab not displaying - - until a full fix in place, please use TWO homepages! Odd, but it works!...or use Tab Mix Plus extension....or upgrade to Firefox 2.

Aluminium Kai 2 v1.8.8

... hope you like it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Frank Lion wrote:Image

New Version Release :

Aluminium Kai 2 version 1.8.8 for Firefox 1.5 - 2.0

... hope you like it.

Great work, as always Frank! Looks great, working smoothly! Superb, once again! :)
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
ChristopherNYCK

Post by ChristopherNYCK »

Is there a way to hide bookmark toolbar icons in the Aluminum Kai 2 theme? They take up a lot of space and I'd like to just show the name. I tried to create the userChrome.css file that has the code that claims this can be done, but I'm a novice at this kind of thing and it didn't work.

Love the theme though!

ck
searchlight4759

Post by searchlight4759 »

Hi Frank:

A suggestion. I was wondering if there is any way that you can put a pronounced black border around the lock icon that appears in the address bar when one is on a secure website.

Since the entire address bar changes color to yellow like FF original theme, your lock icon seems to blend in more than stand out.

A pronounced black border around the lock would make it more identifiable.

Yes, I know it is at the bottom, too but I look at the addressbar for secure confirmation, and the border would help with quick confirmation.

Overall, the theme is going strong:).

Marc
RaiseMachine

Post by RaiseMachine »

ChristopherNYCK wrote:Is there a way to hide bookmark toolbar icons in the Aluminum Kai 2 theme? They take up a lot of space and I'd like to just show the name. I tried to create the userChrome.css file that has the code that claims this can be done, but I'm a novice at this kind of thing and it didn't work.

Love the theme though!

ck

Code: Select all

#bookmarks-ptf .toolbarbutton-icon { display: none !important; }
"Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit... unnatural ?" - Bill Hicks
"Money is the Schrodinger's Cat of economics." - Robert Anton Wilson
"It's not a bug, it's two features having a fight in the pub car-park." - Me
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

searchlight4759 wrote:A suggestion. I was wondering if there is any way that you can put a pronounced black border around the lock icon that appears in the address bar when one is on a secure website. Since the entire address bar changes color to yellow like FF original theme, your lock icon seems to blend in more than stand out, a pronounced black border around the lock would make it more identifiable.

Yes, I know it is at the bottom, too but I look at the addressbar for secure confirmation, and the border would help with quick confirmation.

Hi Marc, must say, I don't agree on this one.

The whole urlbar turns gold when, and only when, you are on a secure site. The urlbar icon could be done away with altogether and people would still immediately know that they were on a secure site just by glancing at the whole urlbar.

Keep the suggestions coming though. :)

pacarey

Post by pacarey »

Frank,

I'm really enjoying using AK2 for my firefox skin. I am wondering though if it is possible to change the picture that appears in the download window. I think i read somehere it is called Bamboo. I'm finding it rather difficult to read some of the text.

Is there a mod i can add to userChrome.css to replace this background picture with some plain colour?.

Thanks.

Paul
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

pacarey wrote:I'm really enjoying using AK2 for my firefox skin. I am wondering though if it is possible to change the picture that appears in the download window. I think i read somehere it is called Bamboo. I'm finding it rather difficult to read some of the text.

Is there a mod i can add to userChrome.css to replace this background picture with some plain colour?.

Hi Paul,

Try the suggestion below that I gave to someone else, as not everyone realises that the whole Downloads window can be resized.

Frank Lion wrote:Yes, I had a tricky decision to make there. What I did was to pin the Bamboo pic to the right hand side of the Downloads Window, in the centre. As this window can be resized in any direction (drag in bottom right corner) you should be able move the pic out of the way, visibility-wise.

This was one of those 'artistic decision' type of things, haha. Let me know if that helps or not.

...if that's not OK, then come back and I'll do a userChrome for you.

I do have to tell you though, Paul, that Bamboo pic is by one of the very best stained glass guys in the business, a very nice guy called Robert Oddy and I put it there so that people can see some decent art, while their stuff is downloading. :P

http://www.robertoddy.com/Level1/WindowsGallery.html

pacarey

Post by pacarey »

Frank,

Agree that the simple resize solution (which should have been obvious) does indeed fix the problem. Just by making the download window a little wider make a whole lot of difference.

Thanks,

Paul
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jellyjams wrote:Hey Frank, I'm enjoying using the Aluminium Kai2 theme. I'm having a problem with my Bookmarks Toolbar not showing. The space for the bar is showing, however it is blank. My Bookmarks Toolbar Folder is populated and it works in the default Firefox theme. It is a small matter, but I like the feature. I have read through the posts from 'digs' but it doesn't seem to match my problem because it looks like he gets some text on his bar...I do not get text or icons, just the space where the bar should be located. I use Win XP Pro with Firefox version 2.0.0.3. My other Navigation Toolbar works and my Sidebars work. The only failed toolbar was the Wiki Toolbar which has not be updated to this version of Firefox. Thanks for looking at my problem, Jan.

Hi Jan, as you see I moved this to the right thread, the AK2 one.

No one has ever reported this when using AK2 before, so this is going to be a guess. Maybe an extension conflict? try disabling your extensions one by one. Have you added any entries to userChrome.css? try taking them out.

Perhaps if you could do a screenshot of your default theme in the Bookmark Toolbar Folder area and do the same for AK2, then we might be able to make more progress on this one.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Hmm, haven't posted here for a while. :)

There is going to be one more update shortly of AK2 before FF3 comes out (unless some bug comes up or I get some real good idea - unlikely, haha)

When I adopted the original Aluminum Kai *, I used a very light touch on it so as not to override the essence the original. However, if ever there was a theme that really needed updating, then it was this one. I used it before I started theming and realised that although very good in parts, it also looked half-finished and a little old fashioned alongside the latest themes.

Valuable as the contribution is to the theming community of people who 'version' the code of old themes to make them work with the latest Firefox versions, there is a real danger there of those themes of being 'frozen in time'. I was not prepared to see that happen with this one, which is why I adopted it. There comes a time when a theme needs actively improving, just as any original author would be doing, if they still maintained a theme.

The result of all this was, Aluminium Kai 2.

So, I already know what I'm going to do - just some little things but this is an opportunity for existing AK2 users to make any suggestions for bits that they'd like to go in/be changed. Obviously, I'm not saying that they will go in, but this will be about the last chance for a while. So suggest away...

Btw please do NOT suggest it being pink. :P

* http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 83#2532283
CalypsoArt

Thunderbird?

Post by CalypsoArt »

Wil you ever consider creating a Thunderbird version of AK2?