[Ext] Organize Search Engines 1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Dr. Evil

[Ext] Organize Search Engines 1.0

Post by Dr. Evil »

Have too many search engines in the search bar? Never find the engine you're currently searching for? Put the engines in folders or use separators to group them.
Besides, it also lets you rename engines and define keywords for them (to be used the same way as bookmark keywords).

Install
Homepage

This extensions is incompatible to Search Words. When I heard of that extension, I had already implemented it into Organize Search Engines. Differently from Search Words, keywords also work for engines using "post" requests when using Organize Search Engines.

Explicitly compatible extensions are Context Search and searchOnTab. Many other extensions that somehow interact with the search bar of Firefox are probably incompatible. Please tell me about them!
Last edited by Dr. Evil on February 25th, 2007, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Many thanks, phil.

Added the links to the first post.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

In Add To Search Bar 1.5.1 (engineInfos.js) you have this comment: "FIXME: Bug 326854: no btoa for components, use our own" but your code isn't in a component so you can use btoa!

Phil
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

Man, you really make me feel/look dumb today :-)

I just copied that from the search service without investigation what btoa was or even looking at the bug report because I'd have never thaught encoding/decoding base64 would be available directly in JavaScript...
Knowing of btoa will also help me in another project, so thanks again, phil.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Unfortunately, there seems to be a fatal error in what promises to be a very helpful extension:

With Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 - Build ID: 2007021917, I installed the extension and then created a new folder, into which I moved my dictionary search engines.

At that point, I discovered that I could not change search engines unless I disabled the extension. I disabled it, and was able to select the desired engine. I then reenabled the extension and restarted Firefox, to see if that would fix the problem; alas, the result was that I was unable to change engines.

Finally, I moved the dictionaries out of the new search engine folder, deleted the folder, disabled the extension, restarted Firefox; my dictionaries were again accessible, so at least no harm was done by trying "Organize Search Engines 1.0."
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

What other extensions and themes are you using?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Dr. Evil wrote:What other extensions and themes are you using?

Testing was on my agenda, and your reply got me to do it.

As of now, you owe me one taler for my detective work, which is in line with my long-standing reputation for finding the most abstruse errors.

For example, a number of years ago, using the first version of WordPerfect for Windows, my document kept getting totally destroyed as I edited it. It took me quite a lot of effort to get anyone on the CompuServe WordPerfect forum to pay any attention to my repeated statements that there was a fatal error in WP. Finally, Novell (the then-owner of WP) got involved, and asked for a copy of my file up to the point at which the program would crash and destroy the document.

I sent them the file, they agreed that the error did exist, and they fixed it. I was writing a training document for the fire service on what was, at that time, a completely new technology in structural fire suppression. The instructor's manual had a small column on each page, in which column would appear a small image of the slide or video segment to be presented at that stage of the course. As I recollect, all worked correctly until I would insert the twenty-first such image, whereupon my document would be ruined.

A few results of this were that I was hired as an assistant sysop for the CompuServe forum, and I took a trip to Germany to work on the adaptation of the course for the German fire service.

Well, in regards to my latest weird discovery, Organize Search Engines stops working with the use of another extension, Stylish version 0.4, if one is using either of these styles that can be installed in Stylish:

Firefox - Icons (with CuteMenus SVG)
Firefox - menu icon spacing (with CuteMenus SVG)

There may be other styles that are problematic, but those are the two that I use that cause OSE to stop allowing the user to change search engines. (As I wrote previously, even with those two styles in use, the rest of OSE seems to work correctly.)

I trust that another trip to Germany won't be necessary to fix this....
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Dr. Evil wrote:because I'd have never thaught encoding/decoding base64 would be available directly in JavaScript...
I spotted this immediately because recently in #addons a reviewer was complaining about some idiot extension developer who wrote his own crappy implementation of btoa in javascript despite the function being a javascript builtin. Um, the idiot extension author wasn't you was it? (Or just Evil minds think alike).

Phil
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

John Liebson wrote:As of now, you owe me one taler for my detective work, which is in line with my long-standing reputation for finding the most abstruse errors.
This bug isn't that abstruse actually, it's more of a little, easy-to-fix, incompatibility. But it definitely needed some great amount of detective work to find out what's actually incompatible... So thanks that speeded things up a lot.

Well, in regards to my latest weird discovery, Organize Search Engines stops working with the use of another extension, Stylish version 0.4, if one is using either of these styles that can be installed in Stylish:

Firefox - Icons (with CuteMenus SVG)
Firefox - menu icon spacing (with CuteMenus SVG)

There may be other styles that are problematic, but those are the two that I use that cause OSE to stop allowing the user to change search engines. (As I wrote previously, even with those two styles in use, the rest of OSE seems to work correctly.)

John Liebson wrote:I trust that another trip to Germany won't be necessary to fix this....
No, as already mentioned it's pretty easy to fix. It should be enough to create a new style in Stylish with a description of your liking and this code:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
  menuitem.searchbar-engine-menuitem[label] {
    -moz-binding: url(chrome://seorganizer/content/browser.xml#engine) !important;
  }
}

I may rethink the way I implemented the selection of menu items since this is about the third time this incompatibility occurs and there is no way out of it but have the user add this style. The other times (where it were a theme and an extension that were incompatible and the ext. was explicitly labeled as "preview") I could fix it code-wise but in this case the problem is a user style and an extension won't be able to do override that.

Philip Chee wrote:I spotted this immediately because recently in #addons a reviewer was complaining about some idiot extension developer who wrote his own crappy implementation of btoa in javascript despite the function being a javascript builtin. Um, the idiot extension author wasn't you was it? (Or just Evil minds think alike).
Well, at least it could have been me. However, my last reviewer's comment was "thanks for the nice extension". I hope reviewers who find such things tell the developer of their findings. That would help everybody...
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Dr. Evil wrote:No, as already mentioned it's pretty easy to fix. It should be enough to create a new style in Stylish with a description of your liking and this code:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
  menuitem.searchbar-engine-menuitem[label] {
    -moz-binding: url(chrome://seorganizer/content/browser.xml#engine) !important;
  }
}

I may rethink the way I implemented the selection of menu items since this is about the third time this incompatibility occurs and there is no way out of it but have the user add this style. The other times (where it were a theme and an extension that were incompatible and the ext. was explicitly labeled as "preview") I could fix it code-wise but in this case the problem is a user style and an extension won't be able to do override that.

I'm surprised that you were not banned for posting code language of that nature....

I have no idea whatsoever as to what your code means. I had to clean it up with some hard returns, so that Stylish would not complain about "topmargin". That done, the problem is fixed, for which I thank you.
old nicholas.alipaz

Post by old nicholas.alipaz »

I really like this extension, however I did seem to lose some of my search engines upon reorganizing them. I am really not sure how it happened. Then a moment ago I clicked on cancel in the options dialog and Firefox unexpectedly shutdown. It seems there are a number of bugs. I do hope you get them straightened out. I really liked your previous SEO extension.

As for the things I would like to see implemented:
  • Changing the icons of the search engines. (yes, I already now how to do this, but it would be nicer from the interface of an extension)
  • Searching multiple engines much like the Web Search extension does. Enabling selecting a folder to search all of the chosen engines. Opens multiple tabs.
tpmcgrath

Re: [Ext] Organize Search Engines 1.0

Post by tpmcgrath »

Mouse scroll bookmarks does not work with latest version, this is a bug?
RaceQ

Post by RaceQ »

Well my favorite add on "Organize Search Engines v1.7" (OSE) stopped working with change from Firefox v42.0 to v43.0 update. The add on has been removed from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ch-engines.

It is a mystery of why it was removed. @Dr. Evil why was the addon withdrawn?

I liked organizing into folder categories is there add on that does this?

I also used the editing the search engines properties via OSE - what can I use to do this now?

Is OSE broken for everyone now?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

OSE is definitely broken, because firefox do not contain the api nor the entities (translation strings) any longer.
there is also NO solution for ctr option "old search bar" and OSE, that never will work.

if you want some get some
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... earch-pro/