Import Addresses and Mail

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
nakedparrot

Import Addresses and Mail

Post by nakedparrot »

I want to import my addresses and mail from Vista's Windows Mail but Thunderbird doesn't seem to have caught up with Vista yet. Am I missing something? Is there an add-on that will allow me to do this?
nakedparrot
Dark Phantom

Re: Import Addresses and Mail

Post by Dark Phantom »

nakedparrot wrote:I want to import my addresses and mail from Vista's Windows Mail but Thunderbird doesn't seem to have caught up with Vista yet. Am I missing something? Is there an add-on that will allow me to do this?

Try to export Windows Mail's files into another format, this will allow you to import the files, I recently had the same problem. Although I was trying to import from Outlook's pst files, and couldn't import into Windows Mail due to an error nor was I am able to import the file without Outlook being installed.
nakedparrot

Thanks

Post by nakedparrot »

Thanks very much - I'll give your suggestion a try.
nakedparrot
Dark Phantom

Re: Thanks

Post by Dark Phantom »

nakedparrot wrote:Thanks very much - I'll give your suggestion a try.

If my suggestion doesn't work, I think it will since I believe you can export to Outlook Express, worst case you will have to wait till Thunderbird is able to detect Windows Mail. A huge suggestion if your able to keep a good amount of data on your mail server, is to have Thunderbird "keep" the email on the server, this allows you to have multiple copies via multiple programs.

What I did for about 8 months was I used Thunderbird 99.9% of the time, and used Outlook 2003 to download the emails off the server, this allowed me to have multiple copies of the email.

Of course this only works if you make backups of both programs, often enough, otherwise when your Outlook file gets corrupted your SOL :-)